the hegel sound ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

does any body own a complete hegel system and, can therefore describe, the "hegel sound" ?

specifically a system using the similarly priced mohican reference cd player, the h390 integrated amplifier or even the much pricier h590 model ?

(here is a video featuring the hegel kit)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmzh77KMCU

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

hoping some owners may of answered the thread question.

The idea that there is a house sound with any system is a fallacy as, of course, everyone will hear something different.
The basic idea that the question was posed so that there could be an immediate reposte is perhaps why anyone that happens to own such a setup will admit to it.

D

Deleted member 188516

The idea that there is a house sound with any system is a fallacy as, of course, everyone will hear something different.
The basic idea that the question was posed so that there could be an immediate reposte is perhaps why anyone that happens to own such a setup will admit to it.

so are you saying hegel kit sounds the same as naim kit which sounds the same as arcam etc ?

and yes the question was aimed at hegel owners...

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
If a brand of hifi electronics has a 'sound' it can only be because they've deviated from the flat frequency response ideal.

you don’t think it’s because of the inherent character of the technology, which must be true. it stands to reason that must be involved. For me personally I couldn’t give a diddly squat, it’s what it does that is most important.

D

Deleted member 188516

I did reviews on the Mohican CD player (£4k) and H120 integrated (£2200) on my site and the products are superb. I don’t think you can say a product has a house sound all the time. Sometimes and also within a range of gear but not to the argument people hear different. There are objective differences to be drawn in all HiFi as I tackled in a video too , so long as you compare, so you can’t put HiFi down to ‘what you hear’ and wholly subjective impressions.

Certainly I found the h120 very open and transparent to the extent it doesn’t have the same joined up bass as the sloppier Cyrus gear. So it’s more accurate. The soundstage stands out too against Cyrus gear. It led me to a conclusion the Cyrus signature gear is bad value for money because the h120 was very nearly at the same performance as the Cyrus system which costs £7k. I’m trying an H390 as I have very good relations with Hegel and they were one of the best companies I came accross. I’ll very likely buy an h390 if it extends on the h120. My Cyrus gear is getting old and it will be unreliable soon too.

the sound engine tech is covered in a darko video (Hegel’s Bent Holter)

The Mohican is a warmer rounded beast to the H120 sound against Cyrus. It’s mid focused and very natural and gets all the detail out very naturally. On a performance par to a chord Hugo tt2 dac as far as I can remember imo, albeit different sonic traits.

my vids

View: https://youtu.be/895SR1oXRaM

View: https://youtu.be/i7H1B3GwG4s

simon thanks for the full and detailed reply.
fully appreciated as my question has now been answered in a single post.

(may i add have watched your videos and read your articles - once again shame you have ceased making them).

Reactions: Simon 13th note
D

Deleted member 188516

If a brand of hifi electronics has a 'sound' it can only be because they've deviated from the flat frequency response ideal.

agreed and thats why i wondered whether the hegel kit had done / does this.

the video i included by john darko explains some differences with his other test kit - just wondered if any forum users had / own the hegel kit and, hence, any experience as such to add / share in this thread.

D

Deleted member 188516

ps used Mohican and h120 at same time.

id be interested too if people might let me know how long these vids took. No criticism if you get it wrong. Bw

would not have a clue regards to how long the vids took. i can only conclude that they were excellently produced / made.

if you do get that bigger hegel amplifier i would be grateful to see a "final" video featuring your new system (including your speakers, cables, supports etc ) and how you have "arrived" on this hifi journey.

D

Deleted member 188516

I extensively used the top of the range Hegel system Mohican, HD30, P30 and H30.

I am happier using the single box TDAI-3400.

may i ask why you are happier using the tdal-3400 ?

(does it sound better or do you prefer having less "boxes" ?)

D

Deleted member 188516

Musicraft stocks Lyngdorf but no Hegel to be seen on the website.

that would probably explain it !
i thought he was an hegel stockist ?
the facebook page shows rick with an award from hegel the top post (?).

D

Deleted member 188516

be a bit careful of that dealer imo. But then be careful with pretty much all of them

going to go off topic here but i started the thread so i'll risk it...

may i ask what speakers are you considering / using with your hegel set up ?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
that would probably explain it !
i thought he was an hegel stockist ?
the facebook page shows rick with an award from hegel the top post (?).
Musicraft was the Hegel UK dealer of the year in 2015 & 2016 but I am not sure what happened after that, although I do remember some Hegel stuff being sold cheaply.
Lyndorf seems to be the brand Rik mentions now and they do look the business.

D

Deleted member 188516

Musicraft was the Hegel UK dealer of the year in 2015 & 2016 but I am not sure what happened after that, although I do remember some Hegel stuff being sold cheaply.
Lyndorf seems to be the brand Rik mentions now and they do look the business.

understood. i think the lyndorf kit has room correction or something built in (?).

be a bit careful of that dealer imo. But then be careful with pretty much all of them

and yet Simon a week ago (last Saturday evening to be precise) we were good enough for you to call us and ask me if i would consider paying you for any leads that we receive from your reviews.

Btw, nearly twenty five years in the trade and i don't recall any other reviewer/publication coming up with this.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
and yet Simon a week ago (last Saturday evening to be precise) we were good enough for you to call us and ask me if i would consider paying you for any leads that we receive from your reviews.

Btw, nearly twenty five years in the trade and i don't recall any other reviewer/publication coming up with this.

I don’t see the problem, and only do it where I rate products, as everyone has to survive. some reviews I did I didn’t rate and I wouldn’t expextto benefit on doing videos that took some time from those.

difference is HiFi dealers don’t really add that much value imo. I did the hard work, someone turns up to your dealership and buys, they say based on my review. I don’t get anything,

I only had a hint they had and it was more about getting information that could warrant ad income.

I don’t have anything against your dealer Personally but I don’t trust most HiFi dealers . It’s just as sales games as the comments above show,

Reactions: TotalVictim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts