The four contenders for the HDR TV shootout in Leeds, 23-Jul-2016

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:
Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all. I love the LG. I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?

Gel,

The 75" Sony XD9405 on test did not fair well in the test and again was low on the nits scale.

Q5, gel specifally mentions a different Sony model from the one that featured in the shootout.

Why gel is now thinking of an edge-lit Sony model, I have no idea.

I know, but it would not be any better.

If a FALD TV cannot cut it then the edge lit one has no chance. Also the nit value of the Sony was not much higher than the LG.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
not worth changing that oled Gel until a TV can do all thats needed - none of them do at the minute - few years away until that is the case

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Gel. Just be happy with what you have it's still one of the best TVs on the market and I didn't think you liked HDR anyway.

I have the Panasonic, I'm not interested in the test, and even if it came rock bottom I'd still be happy with my purchase.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Would be the motion handeling and lag over nits and all else hdr etc as i bet they all look stunning.

If i were buying one now id go for the samsung though

D

Deleted member 2457

richardw42 said:
Gel. Just be happy with what you have it's still one of the best TVs on the market and I didn't think you liked HDR anyway.

I have the Panasonic, I'm not interested in the test, and even if it came rock bottom I'd still be happy with my purchase.
Cheers mate.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:
Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all.  I love the LG.  I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?  

Gel,

The 75" Sony XD9405 on test did not fair well in the test and again was low on the nits scale.

Q5, gel specifally mentions a different Sony model from the one that featured in the shootout.

Just thinking about saving some money that's all like I said.  

If you want to save some money your best bet is to give the hobby up.

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:
Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all.  I love the LG.  I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?  

Gel,

And? What does he do with his free time then? He doesn't smoke or drink.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:
Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all. I love the LG. I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?

Gel,

Yep, I won't be spending on the hobby again for years now. I have kept my home cinema system 9 years and I intend to keep the TV the same, until it breaks.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:

Gel,

And? What does he do with his free time then? He doesn't smoke or drink.
That's true and I have no friends.
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

My dad paid for it on his John Lewis card anyway because I didn't have enough, and now we can't get it back, it would take years to spend that sort of money in John Lewis again.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've viewed the Sony, LG and Panasonic in both JL and Curry's (Currys had the better viewing conditions with the lights being much lower).

I have to say that whilst in some scenes the LG looks great, in others it simply has too much pop with unaturally deep colours.

Obviously, non of the tv's were calibrated so you could blame the settings, but just like the audience in the test, I found the brightness of the Panasonic 902b very captivating with HDR and the LG a little matt looking at times (somehow the picture didn't shine in areas you'd expect it too), and natural in shade 1 second but overblown the other. In fact, I thought in HDR mode, the Panasonic was actually superior colour wise to the LG - eg the 902b's built in HDR demo uses brightly coloured fruit and veg and the colours just seemed better than on the LG, really in your face, but still natural. By contrast the LG's jellyfish demo, looks completely un-natural and over saturated as does the fantasy world scene and the moon light sweep (where the shadow sweeps across the moon) looks wrong due to the lack of greys. The other space scenes were impresive on the LG, but I can't help feeling there's more to a good picture than just black and in that regard, the Panasonic looked sharper, more natural and much brighter when it mattered eg several water scenes with direct sunlight, leaving the LG feeling very flat and dull in comparison.

Which would I buy? I don't know. I'm drawn to the Panasonic although at 58" it's too large for my viewing distances as in the shop on SD tv it looked terrible from 10 feet! I think 55" is probably the limit or maybe even 50" with non HD /4K for me.

Still torn between an LG e6 or a 55" 902b if they ever make one! Couldn't rule the Sony out either. The Samsung 9000 on the other hand, despite winning the audience test, was a little like the LG - overblown at times and it just left me feeling that whilst some scenes were fantastic, others were severly lacking.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alsone said:
For what it's worth, I've viewed the Sony, LG and Panasonic in both JL and Curry's (Currys had the better viewing conditions with the lights being much lower).

I have to say that whilst in some scenes the LG looks great, in others it simply has too much pop with unaturally deep colours.

Obviously, non of the tv's were calibrated so you could blame the settings, but just like the audience in the test, I found the brightness of the Panasonic 902b very captivating with HDR and the LG a little matt looking at times (somehow the picture didn't shine in areas you'd expect it too), and natural in shade 1 second but overblown the other. In fact, I thought in HDR mode, the Panasonic was actually superior colour wise to the LG - eg the 902b's built in HDR demo uses brightly coloured fruit and veg and the colours just seemed better than on the LG, really in your face, but still natural. By contrast the LG's jellyfish demo, looks completely un-natural and over saturated as does the fantasy world scene and the moon light sweep (where the shadow sweeps across the moon) looks wrong due to the lack of greys. The other space scenes were impresive on the LG, but I can't help feeling there's more to a good picture than just black and in that regard, the Panasonic looked sharper, more natural and much brighter when it mattered eg several water scenes with direct sunlight, leaving the LG feeling very flat and dull in comparison.

Which would I buy? I don't know. I'm drawn to the Panasonic although at 58" it's too large for my viewing distances as in the shop on SD tv it looked terrible from 10 feet! I think 55" is probably the limit or maybe even 50" with non HD /4K for me.

Still torn between an LG e6 or a 55" 902b if they ever make one! Couldn't rule the Sony out either. The Samsung 9000 on the other hand, despite winning the audience test, was a little like the LG - overblown at times and it just left me feeling that whilst some scenes were fantastic, others were severly lacking.
I can confirm the LG is a cracking TV and I plan to keep mine for many years.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I was there and most of us thought the LG actually rendered the colour as it should be and what your eyes would see.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Well I guess it will always come down to opinion.

In some of the demo scenes I saw, the LG was superb - there was a costume musical / drama scene and the faces and clothes and everything really had very nice natural beige tones. On other sources though, greens looked fluorescent especially on grass eg because of this, I got the store to switch sources to a pre-recorded BT Sport 4K football match and again the pitch was fluorescent looking. The tv was also superb with motion (which kind of flies in the face of the WhatHiFi review as I didn't see any of the jerkiness they talked about, albeit maybe football is too slow to cause issue). However, the crowd was another matter and when a goal was scored, the jumping around of so many people did cause so slight issues although whether that was BT's encoding or LG's tv is impossible to say. Motion was ver good though.

Don't get me wrong, the LG is superb but for me, at least on the settings I've seen in both shops now, it has 3 main issues:

1. Oversaturated colours, especially greens in HDR which can result in them looking un-natural

2. On blacks and dull scenes especially, the screen is very matt (not sure if this is the result of an anti-reflective coating or just a characteristic of OLED). However, to me it looked un-natural in some scenes compared to the shine I was seeing on others.

3. The lack of greys was very pronounced in the Moon Sweep demo as the moon went from almost white to black in avery defined line as the shadow swept across, which again looked un-natural as you would expect a grey margin as a transition between light and dark.

By contrast the 902b, had very few faults I could discern. I couldn't see anybacklighting issue or the overblown highlights I'd read about, instead the picture looked superb. My only critisism would be that upscaling was very poor with SD which meant that you need to really pay attention to the panel size because if you sit too close it's going to be very apparent - by poor I mean pixellated and heavily artefaced - I was watching BBC news in SD.

As for the Sony, saw it in JL, and it looked very nice in there. Curry's didn't have it which was a shame as thier viewing area was much darker and much more like a home viewing area.

Overall though, I feel so far, there's very little to choose between them with 4K / HD. The Sony to me is the more middle of the road set. Very impressive but it lacks the dynamics of the other two sets. The LG is overblown at times but very impressive on blacks and motion. The Panasonic in 4K HDR was the most impressive to me on non black pictures, somehting which LG seemed to avoid in their demo mostly - maybe because they can't compete on brightness? The impressive pictures on the 902B from memory were the surfing, the lake looking into the sunlight and the fruit in HDR. In the fruit scene, I felt the colours were up there with LG's OLED. In the city night scene, black levels weren't OLED standard but nevertheless, very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts