The four contenders for the HDR TV shootout in Leeds, 23-Jul-2016

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Q5 said:
gel said:
These shootouts are really pointless.

Why!
Because his E6 didn't beat others in HDR! :)

embaressed_smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They are not bizarre results it shows the importance of contrast / brightness to the perceived picture quality.

SDR is mastered at a very limited brightness - in this instance blacks make more of a difference because the blacker the TV the more the perceived dynamic range / Contrast.

However as HDR is mastered at so much brighter - the blacks become less important as the impact of general brightness has more of an impact on the eye.

Simples really

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
They are not bizarre results it shows the importance of contrast / brightness to the perceived picture quality.

SDR is mastered at a very limited brightness - in this instance blacks make more of a difference because the blacker the TV the more the perceived dynamic range / Contrast.

However as HDR is mastered at so much brighter - the blacks become less important as the impact of general brightness has more of an impact on the eye.

Simples really
Just because the picture is brighter don't mean it's better. The blacks on the other TVs are nowhere near the LG.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Q5 said:

gel said:
Because the LG 65ef950v beat the Panasonic OLED the year before too, the results are always bizarre!

Gel, that is just plain wrong. Your memory, or maybe your bias towards all things LG, is letting you down. For anyone interested in the truth of last year's shootout, which the Panasonic OLED won, albeit narrowly, here's the link:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/shootout-oled-201511134208.htm

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Q5 said:

gel said:
Because the LG 65ef950v beat the Panasonic OLED the year before too, the results are always bizarre!

Gel, that is just plain wrong. Your memory, or maybe your bias towards all things LG, is letting you down. For anyone interested in the truth of last year's shootout, which the Panasonic OLED won, albeit narrowly, here's the link:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/shootout-oled-201511134208.htm
Oops sorry my memory was wrong.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This report by zAndy1 on AVForums is an example of how to report objectively on an event, even though the Sony 75XD9405, which he himself owns at home, performed only moderately, due mainly to its lower peak brightness compared to the both Samsung 65KS9500 and the Panasonic 65DX902. Read his detailed post #33, and also those following from other attendees and from Bumtious.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdtvtest-2016-shootout-results.2041866/page-2#post-23912898

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
This report by zAndy1 on AVForums is an example of how to report objectively on an event, even though the Sony 75XD9405, which he himself owns at home, performed only moderately, due mainly to its lower peak brightness compared to the both Samsung 65KS9500 and the Panasonic 65DX902. Read his detailed post #33, and also those following from other attendees and from Bumtious.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdtvtest-2016-shootout-results.2041866/page-2#post-23912898
I agree with Bumtious they are just a marketing excerise and the results point to that.

D

Deleted member 2457

Do you think I should change my LG for the Sony then?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That was a mix up, I replied thinking it was the next post, but then it got posted a page later so sorry, not had a chance to sort it out been working for once, not on a forum (dont tell anyone)

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
Do you think I should change my LG for the Sony then?

Hi Gel,

The LG more than held it's ground against the others and that is why it came first for SDR.

It just does not have enough nits to play with to produce HDR content as good as the others (Sony excluded).

Using Dolby Vision the LG did raise it's game, you need to decide what you want from a TV.

If HDR is your main priority then the LG is not at this point in time the one to go for, but I would not change it if I already had one.

The Samsung had really bad lighting issues and the Panasonic had local dimming issues.

All in all none were perfect and the LG would still be my choice and if could increase the nits this would be the almost perfect TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all. I love the LG. I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
Cheers guys much appreciated, I think I will keep with the LG just thinking about money that's all. I love the LG. I was thinking about the Sony 65xd9305 and pocket £2000 - tempting huh?

Gel,

The 75" Sony XD9405 on test did not fair well in the test and again was low on the nits scale.

D

Deleted member 2457

Q5 said:
gel said:

Gel,

The 75" Sony XD9405 on test did not fair well in the test and again was low on the nits scale.
Ah cheers mate, bang goes that idea then.
regular_smile.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:
gel said:

Gel,

Q5, gel specifally mentions a different Sony model from the one that featured in the shootout.

Why gel is now thinking of an edge-lit Sony model, I have no idea.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Q5 said:
gel said:

Gel,

Q5, gel specifally mentions a different Sony model from the one that featured in the shootout.

Why gel is now thinking of an edge-lit Sony model, I have no idea.
Just thinking about saving some money that's all like I said.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts