The film thread.

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Lone Star on 4k - a thoughtful and intelligent story, ostensibly about the discovery of a decades-old skeleton near a small Texas town, but really tells the story of several characters, their family relationships and how these all fit together. A largely unknown gem.

It heartens me that relatively obscure stuff like this is loved enough that there's a market for a 4k release, and not one at an insulting price.

I've been reading that Dune 2 in IMAX is epic, so I've decided I need to run through the Dune films - I haven't seen any of them! Watching the original tonight which I have on 4K disc, the first part of the remake on 4K disc (I missed it at the cinema), and I'm booked in tomorrow to see it in IMAX at my local Cineworld. First cinema visit this year...

I've been reading that Dune 2 in IMAX is epic, so I've decided I need to run through the Dune films - I haven't seen any of them! Watching the original tonight which I have on 4K disc, the first part of the remake on 4K disc (I missed it at the cinema), and I'm booked in tomorrow to see it in IMAX at my local Cineworld. First cinema visit this year...
Hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: davidf

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Having read all the Dune novels I would say the original film is very dated now but the script is far truer to the books than the Villeneuve offerings. The original film covers the wealth of history around the different 'Houses' and should have been longer, which it was until it went into the cutting room. Some big names in the cast and well acted too, with wonderful costumes and sets. However, the special effects are of course poor by todays standards. Obviously a film can seldom compete with the novel it's based on but as far as I'm concerned the original still remains the best portrayal of the novels so far.

The Villeneuve offerings are wonderfully cinematic. In this respect he did a good job but so much of the fantastic story behind this film is missing. The original managed to get a large chunk of the story across in one film, Villeneuve has dragged this out to two and I can't understand why with so much of the story missing... probably more revenue!

Haven't seen the second film yet but I'll probably get it on disk when it becomes available. Part One for me was a let down and I can't see Part Two being any different. Both appear to dumbed-down action movies to me but I'm a Dune fan so I'll have to have it in my collection :)

Having read all the Dune novels I would say the original film is very dated now but the script is far truer to the books than the Villeneuve offerings. The original film covers the wealth of history around the different 'Houses' and should have been longer, which it was until it went into the cutting room. Some big names in the cast and well acted too, with wonderful costumes and sets. However, the special effects are of course poor by todays standards. Obviously a film can seldom compete with the novel it's based on but as far as I'm concerned the original still remains the best portrayal of the novels so far.

The Villeneuve offerings are wonderfully cinematic. In this respect he did a good job but so much of the fantastic story behind this film is missing. The original managed to get a large chunk of the story across in one film, Villeneuve has dragged this out to two and I can't understand why with so much of the story missing... probably more revenue!

Haven't seen the second film yet but I'll probably get it on disk when it becomes available. Part One for me was a let down and I can't see Part Two being any different. Both appear to dumbed-down action movies to me but I'm a Dune fan so I'll have to have it in my collection :)
I'm coming at this from knowing nothing about Dune at all. I'm prepared for the original to look dated, but I'm guessing producing something like Dune pre-CGI would've been a big ask.

I'm just seeing lots of positive reviews about Part 2 at cinema screenings. I do try and see films that benefit from big screens at the cinema, and after missing the first one (which I've seen mixed reviews about, but I guess it's not everyone's bag), I don't really want to miss this one after what I've read.

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I'm coming at this from knowing nothing about Dune at all. I'm prepared for the original to look dated, but I'm guessing producing something like Dune pre-CGI would've been a big ask.

I'm just seeing lots of positive reviews about Part 2 at cinema screenings. I do try and see films that benefit from big screens at the cinema, and after missing the first one (which I've seen mixed reviews about, but I guess it's not everyone's bag), I don't really want to miss this one after what I've read.
Understood David (y)The Great Dune Trilogy novel was a fantastic read, I read it in the 80's and couldn't put it down, since then I've hoovered up every screen iteration as soon as it appeared on disk :) Hope you enjoy all of them, and maybe let us know your thoughts.

Reactions: davidf
The Tall Guy - Richard Curtis romcom, but with an edge closer to his Blackadder days than the dreadful Four Weddings. One I've long hoped would get a release in a format better than DVD - live in hope given the cast includes Jeff Goldblum, Emma Thompson and Rowan Atkinson.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I really liked the original Dune movie. True, the SFX are quite wooden at times, but the story itself was very compelling, I thought. Good performances too. I haven’t seen pt1 of the remake, I’m holding off until both parts are available on DVD. I do think the original might be a hard act to follow.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I really liked the original Dune movie. True, the SFX are quite wooden at times, but the story itself was very compelling, I thought. Good performances too. I haven’t seen pt1 of the remake, I’m holding off until both parts are available on DVD. I do think the original might be a hard act to follow.
Agreed Freddy. For me the original Dune is a bit like the original Blade Runner, both iconic films of their era. The remakes are not so iconic for me.

Reactions: Freddy58

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Agreed Freddy. For me the original Dune is a bit like the original Blade Runner, both iconic films of their era. The remakes are not so iconic for me.
I quite liked the remake of Bladerunner, but for me, the original was in a different league. I think remakes struggle to recreate the atmosphere that made the originals so good.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Saw part 1, seeing part 2 on IMAX today. Sounds a fab film, we'll see
I didn't like the Sting version at all
Read the book 40 years ago.
Started the audible book this week and realised what an awesome piece of Sci fi literature it is.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Lone Star on 4k - a thoughtful and intelligent story, ostensibly about the discovery of a decades-old skeleton near a small Texas town, but really tells the story of several characters, their family relationships and how these all fit together. A largely unknown gem.

It heartens me that relatively obscure stuff like this is loved enough that there's a market for a 4k release, and not one at an insulting price.
Great film that, always love Chris Coopers acting.
He was good in Capote, another lower key release with solid acting performances.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Dune Part One has been available for some time, Part Two disc release date due December this year. It's on my list :)

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Saw part 1, seeing part 2 on IMAX today. Sounds a fab film, we'll see
I didn't like the Sting version at all
Read the book 40 years ago.
Started the audible book this week and realised what an awesome piece of Sci fi literature it is.
I much prefer the David Lynch version, but Villeneuve's offerings will definitely find a way into my media library, I already have Part One. I won't go to the flicks to watch Part Two, too flippin' loud for me.
The books are indeed a sci-fi masterpiece and there is an awful lot more which could be committed to screen as in: The Messiah and Children of Dune, plus many others in the series written by Herbert. This could easily run for another 20+ years.
Just checked and there now appear to be 17 books in the series as Herbert's son continued to write after his father passed away. Best I get reading :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts