The film thread.

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Christine on 4k - not the greatest film ever made, but enjoyable nonetheless. Have a soft spot for the showdown towards the end as the bit where the (previously hidden) car's headlights come on made my kids jump quite memorably when they first saw it!)
I’ve watched Christine a lot over the past 5 years or so, especially since picking it up on 4K. Some of the script is a little bit “of its time”, and I hate it when a character spouts an acronym, and another character basically says the whole thing to inform a dumb audience (in this case, TTFN). Another great score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth.

Looks like the proposed 4k version is still not in the offing. Interestingly you can get it on blu ray - it was released in Spain last year. There's a seller on eBay doing them for £20 all in, so I've bought a copy.
Lots of Fincher stuff needs a 4K release, although I’m guessing some might need a good amount of work done as some of his films were from the early digital camera period, and were captured at 2K - you can’t scan 2K digital at 4K like you can 35mm or 70mm film!

Carrie on 4k. A game of two (unequally-sized) halves in that Spacek and Laurie are great but some of the supporting cast is poor, and the attempts at humour don't work - for me at least. The prom scenes look great with HDR, but overall it's not the greatest advert for 4k, as I think most would suspect.

The Father on C4HD - Anthony Hopkins as a man with dementia, and Olivia Colman as his daughter. As someone whose dad has dementia, it's not an easy watch, but a very good film with stellar performances. Ironically, Hopkins reminded me more of Mrs 12th's dad, who has Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus - the random inaccuracies and slow, interrupted and halting speech.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

I watched it too, excellent cast and acting. Hopkins character was in the earlier stages as he could still conduct a conversation, I have in an in-law who is way past this stage. A terrible condition, a barefaced thief.

Shallow Grave on blu ray - Danny Boyle's talents were apparent from the get go.
I struggle to enjoy films with Ewan McGregor in, as I don’t feel he’s a particularly good actor. He can’t do an American accent (for the films he’s needed to), and I think he was hugely miscast in Doctor Sleep, which shouldn’t really have been a follow up to Kubrick’s The Shining, but rather a remake/reboot of the classic.

Lots of Fincher stuff needs a 4K release, although I’m guessing some might need a good amount of work done as some of his films were from the early digital camera period, and were captured at 2K - you can’t scan 2K digital at 4K like you can 35mm or 70mm film!
Just had an email confirming that Se7en is getting a 4k UK release - the cheaper version being £45 and the posher one a wince-inducing £80. That's taking the mick, so I think I'll be waiting for a bog-standard one, even though the film is an absolute classic.

podknocker

Nowhere to hide with 4k releases. If the effects were poor, you are going to spot them. I played the Alien films on Blu Ray about 3 years ago and Alien was terrible in places, but it was 1979 and even Ridley Scott would have struggled to get everything right. Aliens looked great on Blu Ray and the corridor lighting as they enter the facility is superb. I do think picture quality helps many films, but not all. I've got Passengers on Blu Ray and that looks incredible. Spaceships and gadgets deserve at least Blu Ray and a good TV. Jennifer Lawrence was also easier on the eyes on Blu Ray. I must point out that she's also a very good actor and not just eye candy to get the blokes interested.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts