The film thread.

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Deliverance on blu ray - still pretty disconcerting after al these years. The 'night' scenes are so obviously filmed during the day and then badly tinkered-with though. Have to make allowances for age, but that seems pretty poor. I guess they didn't want the cast climbing during the dark.

Deliverance on blu ray - still pretty disconcerting after al these years. The 'night' scenes are so obviously filmed during the day and then badly tinkered-with though. Have to make allowances for age, but that seems pretty poor. I guess they didn't want the cast climbing during the dark.
I hate when they film during the day and use a filter. I get why they do it, but once you know how that looks, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Reactions: Al ears
I hate when they film during the day and use a filter. I get why they do it, but once you know how that looks, it stands out like a sore thumb.
This is from the Wikipedia page, possibly making it understandable!

Stunts

The film is infamous for the cost cutting by the studio in an effort to kill it and having the actors perform their own stunts, such as Jon Voight notably climbing the cliff himself. Reynolds requested to have one scene re-shot with himself in a canoe rather than a dummy as it tumbled over a real waterfall. Reynolds recalled his shoulder and head hitting rocks and floating downstream with all of his clothes torn off, then waking up with director Boorman at his bedside. Reynolds asked "How'd it look?" and Boorman said, "It looked like a dummy falling over a waterfall." Beatty almost drowned and Reynolds cracked his tailbone.

Regarding the courage of the four main actors in the movie performing their own stunts without insurance protection, Dickey was quoted as saying all of them "had more guts than a burglar". In a nod to their stunt-performing audacity, early in the movie Lewis says, "Insurance? I've never been insured in my life. I don't believe in insurance. There's no risk".

Spielberg's The Post - about The Washington Post's role in Nixon's downfall. Well-acted, but later era Spielberg doesn't know when to tone down the use of music. I think many of the quieter dramatic scenes in film work best with little (or preferably no) music myself.

Not the strongest of the three, but I like it. Nice take on the body snatching theme, with references to the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, which is where the “blank” or “blanks” comes from. The whole movie is mapped out in the first scene when Gary King is covering the events of the original Golden Mile pub crawl - the whole movie plays out in the same way. Plus, each pub they visit, their experience or the “boss” they have to face is in the name of the pub - like The Famous C ock (the pub Gary was barred from and has his photo on the ”barred board”), and The Two Headed Dog (the twins). Lots of dialogue comes back around again in the usual Edgar Wright fashion, with references to the previous instalments.
Gave it another bash last night - enjoyed it more than before but it lacks the appeal of the previous two for me.

Dune on 4k - not sure what I really made of it. Well-acted and wonderfully shot, but the story feels rather dated and unoriginal - and given that it was written in 1965 that might be fair.

Will watch again as well as pt2 - I rate Villeneuve highly - Arrival, Prisoners and BR2049 are all great films.

WayneKerr

Dune on 4k - not sure what I really made of it. Well-acted and wonderfully shot, but the story feels rather dated and unoriginal - and given that it was written in 1965 that might be fair.

Will watch again as well as pt2 - I rate Villeneuve highly - Arrival, Prisoners and BR2049 are all great films.
Agreed, wonderfully shot, beautifully cinematic. However, being a huge Dune fan having read all the novels and owning everything released to film/TV I found this film particularly poor. It's in two parts so thought they could have done a better job regarding the script - too many holes and unanswered questions.

Huge parts of the book have been completely omitted, especially the history prior to the arrival on Arrakis. The cast portrayal is far removed from the the book and the original 1984 film, which had a far better cast and script and should have been longer... dated now but a masterpiece of its time.

I will still purchase Pt1&2 as it's Dune, but I'm prepared to be disappointed with Pt2 as much as I was with Pt1.

I too like Villeneuve but for me both the original Dune and Blade Runner are far better than either of the sequels, the originals are iconic.

Reactions: 12th Monkey
The Railway Man on blu ray - the autobiographical tale of a quiet man who marries late in life, which leads to his unresolved trauma from working as a Japanese PoW. The resolution of which is superb, albeit a little embellished in places in comparison with the book. Great performances from Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts