The film thread.

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Unless you've seen everything else, you can't say they are as good as 'anything else'. But we've established people's positions on this, so let's move on - I was just sharing the site with another film fan, not wanting to start a thread about t-shirt quality.

Leon on 4k - great film, and great performances from all. A great demo disc for the benefits of HDR too.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Unless you've seen everything else, you can't say they are as good as 'anything else'. But we've established people's positions on this, so let's move on - I was just sharing the site with another film fan, not wanting to start a thread about t-shirt quality.

Leon on 4k - great film, and great performances from all. A great demo disc for the benefits of HDR too.

Unless you've tried them, you can't say "the pattern will disintegrate after 2 or 3 washes", which was the reply I was refuting.

I worked for 35 years in the printing industry.

Please don't have a pop at my point and then patronise me with "let's move on"

Last edited:
Watched The China Syndrome for the first time yesterday. I’d always ignored it growing up because of the title, but I watched a documentary about a month ago about some nuclear station incident called Meltdown: Three Mile Island, which happened just as the film was being released In 1979.

Certainly deserves a 7.5/10, maybe even an 8, especially for Jack Lemon’s performance.

Went to see Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 the other day.

The first one is great, and although I wasn’t initially bowled over by the second one on first viewing, it has grown on me, and I enjoy watching the two. So I had high hopes for the third. Sadly, it feels like it has fallen victim to the typical “all action, no substance” Marvel style film-making. It feels messy, and wasn’t as funny as the previous two. Visually fantastic (watched in IMAX screen), but feels like they added as much action as they could wherever they could, rather than just letting the film flow. It’s too long as well.

Maybe I wasn’t in the right mood. I had a headache before I went in, exacerbated by the excessively loud adverts and trailers. I’ll give it another try the next time I watch the first two again, but I’m not expecting to change my mind.

5/10

Reactions: doifeellucky
Dog Soldiers on 4k - never going to be the best transfer as it's a low budget film of a certain age, but it looks better with the TV doing the upscaling - when I last watched it that duty fell to the Oppo.

Great film though, blending horror and humour very well. And despite those two themes, it's very much a dialogue/relationship film.

Dog Soldiers on 4k - never going to be the best transfer as it's a low budget film of a certain age, but it looks better with the TV doing the upscaling - when I last watched it that duty fell to the Oppo.

Great film though, blending horror and humour very well. And despite those two themes, it's very much a dialogue/relationship film.
The 4K release does look the best I’ve seen it, but it‘s always going to look a bit “lo-fi”.

Grumpy Old Men, and Grumpier Old Men with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. I remember watching Grumpy Old Men for the first time, and bursting out laughing at Matthau’s first line in the film - “Morning, ********.” Unexpected.

Was reading up on them on IMDB, and I didn’t know they died within a year of each other, a couple of years after doing The Odd Couple II.

Hot Fuzz on 4k. Love this and Shaun of the Dead - pity about The World's End.
Not the strongest of the three, but I like it. Nice take on the body snatching theme, with references to the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, which is where the “blank” or “blanks” comes from. The whole movie is mapped out in the first scene when Gary King is covering the events of the original Golden Mile pub crawl - the whole movie plays out in the same way. Plus, each pub they visit, their experience or the “boss” they have to face is in the name of the pub - like The Famous C ock (the pub Gary was barred from and has his photo on the ”barred board”), and The Two Headed Dog (the twins). Lots of dialogue comes back around again in the usual Edgar Wright fashion, with references to the previous instalments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts