The film thread.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Watched The Thing on 4k last night - love it, and the transfer's pretty good - I suspect if they'd been able to use CGI the effects would look less convincing with increased picture quality, but almost all of it looks better than ever, and even weirder!
When I had both the British Arrow and American Shout Factory Blurays (which both looked different), it looked so good, I couldn’t imagine a 4K version being much better. But when I got it, I was gobsmacked. It just looks stunning.

Shout Factory have been releasing their 4K versions of John Carpenter over the past couple of years (They Live, The Fog etc), mostly those that were previously released by Studiocanal, which looked better than the Blurays, but I was never fully convinced by. The Shout Factory ones are using higher bit rate for the picture, and are noticeably better than the Studiocanal ones. I’m hoping they’ll do the same for The Thing. Even though that was a Universal release, they’ve released The Thing a few times now. If they can make it look a little bit better….

Tried to watch The Seventh Seal last night - an unwatched film deemed a classic. Couldn't get on with it, and at the point where there was still an hour left, I abandoned it. Was also rather disappointed with Citizen Kane when I watched that a few years ago. I'd like to think I'm not vacuous enough as to dismiss things just because they are old (and I get on fine with It's a Wonderful Life, for example), but I found TSS and CK very hard to relate to.

DCarmi

Citizen Kane
Interesting! I'll admit to not watching Kane for a while now but I found a lot of relevancy to modern times in it. You still get the powerful and wealthy with their megalomania and penchant for extravagance. You can see people like Murdoch, Trump and Musk in that character. Just look at the images of Musk as he walked into the Twitter offices with a kitchen sink! Pure Kane, in my opinion.

I think Trump especially fits that role quite well. Swap the zoo for golf courses with gold embossed, fake coats of arms and Xanadu for Mar-a-Lago. Then you have the Trump lackies who are expendable, just like in Kane. The trophy wives, both have locked down . Even Trumps demeanor seems to be modelled on Kane, i.e. aggressive over-confidence and lots of macho pointing in hustings . I don't know if Trump has a sled, though.

Personally, first time I watched it donkeys years ago, I was unaware of its kudos as supposedly the greatest film ever made, but I was entranced by it. Time I dug it out again, methinks.

Only watched Citizen Kane for the first time in 2015 - I was bowled over by it, especially as Welles was about 25 when he wrote/made it. Ive pretty much watched it every year since. It has an air of David Fincher about it (which is something for a film that’s over 80 years old), so must surely be some sort of influence on him.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

Currently watching Everything Everywhere All At Once, on prime.... how many Oscars did this win? I'm one hour in and I just don't get it at all and I'm about to turn it off. It's a B movie!

Not gonna spoil it for y'all, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. If anyone gets all the way through it can you let me know if it gets better in the last hour, ta.

Currently watching Everything Everywhere All At Once, on prime.... how many Oscars did this win? I'm one hour in and I just don't get it at all and I'm about to turn it off. It's a B movie!

Not gonna spoil it for y'all, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. If anyone gets all the way through it can you let me know if it gets better in the last hour, ta.
I turned it off after about two hours. I just couldn’t get into it, which may have been because I missed some information or something, but I’ll revisit it again when I’m in the right mood, now I know what I’m getting into!

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

I turned it off after about two hours. I just couldn’t get into it, which may have been because I missed some information or something, but I’ll revisit it again when I’m in the right mood, now I know what I’m getting into!
Thanks, David. I can normally follow plots quite well but this film is just crazy and doubt I'll bother watching it all the way through. Maybe it's not for my generation but still can't believe it swept the board at the Oscars!

The Brothers Grimm - a way off being peak Gilliam (apparently there were massive problems between him and the Wiensteins so the film falls between two stools), but enjoyable nonetheless.

Hard to believe that the guy playing the torturer is the same actor (Peter Stormare) who plays Steve Buscemi's monosyllabic, menacing sidekick in Fargo.

TRENDING THREADS