The evolution of my AV system.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to mention....some prefer copper cables with these KEF speakers, so best to compare each before you buy....

I did compare, as I had some Chord Carnival silverscreen too, and preferred the Odyssey 2.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It's been a while, but I thought I'd update this thread.......

I added my old Pioneer A-605R stereo amp to the system, firstly using it as a seperate system with the cd player, and then through the pre outs on the denon to run the front speakers at all time.

Yesterday, I demo'd the Marantz PM6004, Yamaha AS500 and Exposure 1010 amp.......and came home with the Marantz. 8)

I have to say the Marantz PM6004 does work very well with these speakers......so much better than the old Pioneer.......

I fear my system is now complete :clap: ...........................for now!!!! :rofl:

I'll post a picture soon.......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
6801278041_441de0fe0a.jpg

And here is the finished system........

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
13145745595_5b6f64b361_c.jpg

Picture update.....KEF Q500's are gone and replaced by a pair of KEF Q100's that are wall mounted. Surprisingly they sound quite good up there too...

It all gives a bit more space in the lounge for our 8 month old daughter to play in!

And the tv got bigger...50" Panny Plasma!!! And the last change was the blu ray player...it didn't improve the picture much, but there was a sound improvement from the Sony S370, which is now in my office.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes I've had the AE sub for a long time. It seems to integrate well with the Q100's, as well as the Q500's.

I find the Q100 system better for tv/movies....it seems clearer. In hindsight I think the Q500's were a bit too much for the size of room, sound/bass wise, which is why I'm actually preferring the Q100 system.

In terms of music through the two Marantz units, the Q100's are pretty impressive for their size. They have a surprisingly deep bass too, although not to the scale the Q500's had.

Initially I stored the Q500's thinking I would use them again when our daughter was a little older or if we moved to a bigger house. I've now sold them (got £400 for them), as I found the Q100's so impressive. Bought the Q100's for £225 too (mint condition/second hand), so they are 'the real deal' as David Dickinson would say!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Things have changed a lot since my last post on here. The main one is an addition of a projector and 77" electric screen into the system!

Pictures to follow....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
30429771831_ce3ec51ff8_b.jpg

The location of the Ben Q W1070 wasn't idea as it wasn't at the ack of the room, but I had no choice due to the size of screen I had and the location of the joists. ( I wanted to feed the cables from the side of the room in picture and have the Projector attacked to a joist for piece of mind.

30480082216_31fc19e506_b.jpg

Eventually when I replace the upstairs carpet, I will install spot lights, but this works as it is.

30400057352_6458e1400f_b.jpg

Again I wanted to make sure the screen doesn't fall, so I attached two blocks of wood between two joists, and painted them. I then fixed the screen to the blocks. I know it could be done above the ceiling, but again I don't want to take the old carpert up just yet.

More screen pictures to follow....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Apologies for spelling mistakes above...tried to change them but I'm supposedly spam!!!

Here are the screen pictures...first one is a dvd, and the other two are blu ray:

30429781781_ed2514808a_b.jpg

29885871924_7050c5ebe0_b.jpg

30218242740_605d4e3358_b.jpg

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
IMG_20201111_195537.jpg

The Q500's are back!

Post divorce since my last post..... So it's now a bit of a bachelor pad 👍😁😉

Red and beige walls were changed to a black and white scheme very soon after the ex wife left the building! 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, I got a mint pair of Q500's recently off ebay for a very good price... And its great to have them back!

My daughter is now 7 years old, and only here 50% of the time. But she knows to keep away from them, so not to knock them over 👍👍🤞🤞

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Oh yea, and I missed the AV Receiver upgrade in August 2014 on here 😁😂

Replaced my Denon AVR2310 for a Pioneer SC-2023. And it's still going strong to this day! 👍

The Pioneer sound opened up the detail in music and movies compared to the Denon. Even sounds pretty good with 2 channel music. The old AE Radiance sub is still here too, but relocated next to the couch.

If it is all still working at the end of this crazy year, maybe it'll be my last upgrade for a whole! 🙄🙄

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Oh yea, and I missed the AV Receiver upgrade in August 2014 on here 😁😂

Replaced my Denon AVR2310 for a Pioneer SC-2023. And it's still going strong to this day! 👍

The Pioneer sound opened up the detail in music and movies compared to the Denon. Even sounds pretty good with 2 channel music. The old AE Radiance sub is still here too, but relocated next to the couch.

If it is all still working at the end of this crazy year, maybe it'll be my last upgrade for a whole! 🙄🙄
Nice one Pete!

Reactions: Pistolpete1

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
PXL_20230218_222249999.NIGHT.jpg

System update.....

I've recently added my old Pioneer A-605R stereo amp back into the system, thus creating two separate systems. The CD player and Ifi zen air Blu are connected to that amp and the KEF Q500's.

The Ifi zen air Blu is a very recent addition to the system, and I'm pleased with the results it offers using Spotify. Although I may try a 'better' sound quality source like Amazon HD or tidal soon.

Meanwhile the KEF Q100's are now connected to the AV receiver and are used for tv/movies purposes, although I listen to more music these days. Not ideal placement for the speakers, but there always has to be a compromise somewhere, and as they are only giving sound above 80hz, I think a lack of proper stands is acceptable (no space anyway).

Thanks 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboss

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Update alert......AE Radiance sub has been replaced after nearly 13 years of service.

New sub is a Fyne Audio F3-10, and I'm very impressed with it. It's my first vented sub, whether in a car or at home, but the bass detail and strength has transformed my movie experience completely.

And the fact I got it for under £200 (RRP £499.99), brand new just adds to the satisfaction. 👍👍

PXL_20230627_203739517.MP.jpg

Messiah

The Ifi zen air Blu is a very recent addition to the system, and I'm pleased with the results it offers using Spotify. Although I may try a 'better' sound quality source like Amazon HD or tidal soon.
Nice system. Definitely prefer the black and white colour scheme.

Did you try Amazon or Tidal and if so, was there much difference?

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Nice system. Definitely prefer the black and white colour scheme.

Did you try Amazon or Tidal and if so, was there much difference?
Yes, I did try Amazon. It did sound better than Spotify...more clarity, detail and bass refinement, but I still use Spotify at the moment.
Mainly due to knowing the platform better, I think. And partly to do with using cd's more than Spotify on the system anyway. CD's through the Marantz player sounds better still ;)

Reactions: Messiah

Messiah

Yes, I did try Amazon. It did sound better than Spotify...more clarity, detail and bass refinement, but I still use Spotify at the moment.
Mainly due to knowing the platform better, I think. And partly to do with using cd's more than Spotify on the system anyway. CD's through the Marantz player sounds better still ;)
Good to know. May give a free trial a go.

I prefer CD as well and the benefit of all these streaming systems is that CDs are cheap as chips (2nd hand at least) right now. 😊

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts