The English Patient Blu-Ray Quality Big dissapointment :(

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have allways loved this movie and i did bought it in many diffirent edition over the years starting with the laserdisc -criterion editon to the newest dvd editiion , hoping that the vedio quality will be improved to some level but never the less it was as awful as ever! until just recently i found out the the movie is available now in a canadian region (A) locked version , i had no problem with that as i have a dadicated usa player for region A movie's.

But watta big dissapointment it was
emotion-6.gif
now beleive me i have seen movies that has been badly transfer to blu-ray, but as you watch them through , you would come across a couple of seen or a few that would look like a HD stuf, but going through the entire movie length for the The English Patient , i haven,t even hit one frame that would realy catch the eyes! omg the entire movie is grainy like hell ,sometime u might think that it,s raining while it,s not that,s how bad the amount of grain in the movie, the colour it,s like they have been washed and the over all details are next to nothiing! in short -it was the worst blu-ray Vedio quality that i have seen.

Watta pity for sucha powerfull movie with a stunning cinema autografi and editing to be ignored this way.

The sound however was good, and the DTS-HD MA track it did deliver a littel more sonic improvment over the dvd's but in my opinion it,s not a reason enough to do the upgrade, my advise -stay away!

That it i just thought i might share that with others.

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
It's been a while since I watched it , but after your posting I looked at the DVD again ..... and could not agree with you on it being ' awful ' . In fact I would have to rate it as nearly reference quality . Why ?

1. Superb colour accuracy and vibrancy ; it looks real .A far cry from the current fashion of drenching everything in cyan .

2 . Incredible depth and sense of three dimensionality .

3 . Deep , inky blacks - the best I've ever seen on DVD

4 . No banding , macro blocking , noise or artifacts .

The only negatives I could see were some stain or blemish on the camera lens very early on , and the abundance of dirt on the film itself . Oddly enough , this didn't irritate me at all , just took me back to my Saturday mornings at the pictures when I was a nipper .

Sure , the film is swimming in graininess , but it I soon adjusted to it . If only more new releases looked as good as this ........

Maybe your edition was not the 2 disc Miramax special ? And maybe the Blu ray source was likewise ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts