The difference between the Beresford TC-7510 and the TC-7520?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Are the only differences between the two the Usb and improved headphone spec? I notice that Stanley calls one a DAC and one a DAC/Pre amp.

Does that mean the TC-7510 can't be used as a pre?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry guys ignore me... looks like you can. just answered my own question browsing 'tinternet. I'm a lazy b*gger sometimes.

Still interested to know if theres any performance difference tho (unmodded)

A

Anonymous

Well there is the obvious 50 quid in price.

It is unclear if the power supply section, internally and the external power supply have been improved, various mentions on here say yes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I believe that the designer intended the TC-7520 to be an upgrade from the TC-7510 rather than a replacement. (This is why he sells both.)

I never owned the TC-7510 so I could not compare it myself.

Despite that, the TC-7520 sounds superb so if you are considering one I can recommend it.

A

Anonymous

The tc-7520 also seem to have dropped a fiver from 155, to 150 recently, or perhaps I imagined that.. by the time you add VAT and delivery the tc-7520 is now about 186 pounds. A whole album from ebay =)

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Nice one thanks. I have the Tc-7510 and I'm thinking about using it as a pre for a quad 909. Maybe I will for now and then upgrade to the 7520 when funds allow and put the 7510 upstairs. The 7520 looks easier to mod too!

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock: The 7520 looks easier to mod too!

Definitely. The LM4562NA op-amp upgrade is a doddle! You can also get the THS4032CD op-amp with a 100 nF capacitior ready to fit on an 8-pin DIL adapter from this seller on eBay. I'm tempted to get a couple myself!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don't jump ahead of yourself.

The TC-7520 sounds great without the opamp upgrade.

The LM4562NA upgrade is cheap and very easy to do in minutes with no soldering and results in more clarity and detail.

Not sure about the other one mentioned. (THS 4032CD) I seem to remember a debate raging somewhere about the components touching the inside of the casing and ebay suppliers who had not actually tested the upgrade before selling it to see if would fit! Proceed with caution unless you are feeling adventurous.

The LM4562NA is foolproof, easy and recommended.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:Is that instead of the LM4562NA op-amp upgrade?

Yes, the THS4032CD is an alternative op-amp upgrade to the LM4562NA.
emotion-21.gif

There's an interesting thread about modding the 7520 here.

chebby: Not sure about the other one mentioned. (THS 4032CD) I seem to remember a debate raging somewhere about the components touching the inside of the casing and ebay suppliers who had not actually tested the upgrade before selling it to see if would fit! Proceed with caution unless you are feeling adventurous

Agreed, definitely proceed with caution. The eBay selller I mentioned above does state in his description that they have been made to fit in the 7520 with no problems. There seems to be plenty of happy customers in his feedback profile who back this up as well.
emotion-1.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Don't jump ahead of yourself

Good shout. I have a habit of doing this.

I guess what I'm really asking is as I have the TC 7510 is there any point on splashing out 150 sovs on the 7520? I think the 10 will work as a pre for now but I would sell it (or use it upstairs) if the 20 is significantly better in this role.

A

Anonymous

I've had both the 7510 and now the 7520. The biggest change I noticed was considerably better bass from the 7520.

I would also add that the reason I upgraded was because I bothched modifying the 7510
emotion-10.gif

I was very happy with it until then.

A

Anonymous

Lol, it happens. I resisted any modding and sold it for the 7520, I'm sure I will get the soldering iron out when I get my next wave of upgradeitus.

To answer the question the 7520 is a worthwhile upgrade on the 7510. Better controlled bass and I would say more realism.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
paul72s:
I would also add that the reason I upgraded was because I bothched modifying the 7510
emotion-10.gif

What did you do that couldn't be salvaged?

I think the best time to mod the 7510 is when you're considering upgrading. My view was if I trashed the 7510, I'd buy something else, something better. If it worked (as it has) I'd be happy with it for a few months more.

A

Anonymous

I was attempting to replace the capcitors (Mod 21 I think from memory) and used a gas powered soldering iron. I had to hold it for a very long time to get one of the capacitors out and ended up ripping a part of the copper track from the board.

I'm handing it over to a mate to try and get the track repaired but I wrote this one off to experience and bought the 7520 as it fits in with my current equipment nicely and couldn't really justify any more expense to buy a better one right now.

If it does get repaired I'll use it on the PC direct (in the spare room) and be very happy but I use the DAC every day so couldn't be without one!

TRENDING THREADS