The Devilmakes work for idle hands

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've definitely got too much time on my hands during this period of recovery and the devil is on my shoulder!

I've got a hankering to go back to Class A, I think I should have gone for the Accuphase E600 when I had the chance before deciding on the E470.

Don't get me wrong, the E470 is a fantastic amp and I should and probably will stay with it, unless a dealer makes me an offer I can't refuse... I've put the feelers out, so see what happens.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Macspur said:
I've definitely got too much time on my hands during this period of recovery and the devil is on my shoulder!

I've got a hankering to go back to Class A, I think I should have gone for the Accuphase E600 when I had the chance before deciding on the E470.

Don't get me wrong, the E470 is a fantastic amp and I should and probably will stay with it, unless a dealer makes me an offer I can't refuse... I've put the feelers out, so see what happens.

Mac

I like the plan. Good work Devil.. :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

Really can’t beat Class A....

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
DocG said:
Andrewjvt said:
Most of the fun in this hobby is actually doing the hunt of new equipment. Thinking/reading/talking about it etc.

But as Mac says: persuading the significant other is the hard part...

When has he let that stop him before

It's a little different this time, as I only bought the Accuphase last year. Also, I'm considering early retirement so need to save as much dosh as possible.

We all know what it's like when you get an idea in your head though!

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mac, you must be feeling well after your op if you are thinking of upgrading ! *biggrin*

I would be a little cautious though, the E470 is one hell of an amp that will drive almost any speaker and it is most likely working in full class A all the time given your taste in music and your nearfield listening position.

The E 600 is a very different amp and as with most fully class A ampifiers there can be a price to pay elsewhere at frequency extremes for that liquid midrange.

If you can get a home demo then go for it and then you can judge if it is worth the extra outlay, but if it was me I would stick with that lovely E470 I think.

If you want to spend some money and get a very substantial improvement to sound quality then my recomendation would be to contact GIK Acoustics or GRG / RPG Acoustics so that they can measure and treat your room to get the best sound quality from your existing equipment.

http://www.rpgeurope.com/

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_dnalNLP1wIVAwvTCh1BdgU1EAAYAiAAEgISYfD_BwE

I recently added some RPG Binary Amplitude Diffsorbor panels to my room to dramatic effect!

http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/product/arc.html

Anyway whatever you decide good luck you deserve it ! *good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
DocG said:
Andrewjvt said:
Most of the fun in this hobby is actually doing the hunt of new equipment. Thinking/reading/talking about it etc.

But as Mac says: persuading the significant other is the hard part...

When has he let that stop him before

It's a little different this time, as I only bought the Accuphase last year.  Also, I'm considering early retirement so need to save as much dosh as possible.

We all know what it's like when you get an idea in your head though!

Mac

The goal posts have moved
I'm sure you.can deal with it
Come on buy it

insider9

Electro said:
Mac, you must be feeling well after your op if you are thinking of upgrading ! *biggrin*

I would be a little cautious though, the E470 is one hell of an amp that will drive almost any speaker and it is most likely working in full class A all the time given your taste in music and your nearfield listening position.

The E 600 is a very different amp and as with most fully class A ampifiers there can be a price to pay elsewhere at frequency extremes for that liquid midrange.

If you can get a home demo then go for it and then you can judge if it is worth the extra outlay, but if it was me I would stick with that lovely E470 I think.

If you want to spend some money and get a very substantial improvement to sound quality then my recomendation would be to contact GIK Acoustics or GRG / RPG Acoustics so that they can measure and treat your room to get the best sound quality from your existing equipment.

http://www.rpgeurope.com/

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_dnalNLP1wIVAwvTCh1BdgU1EAAYAiAAEgISYfD_BwE

I recently added some RPG Binary Amplitude Diffsorbor panels to my room to dramatic effect!

http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/product/arc.html

Anyway whatever you decide good luck you deserve it ! *good*

+1

You won't get a better advice than this.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah well, it was nice while it lasted... had an Email back from my enquiry about part exchanging the E470 for the E600 and they wanted another 6K on top!

The E600 costs well over 10K now... I hadn't realised it had gone up that much.

Thanks for your considered advice Electro, I would always home demo first before spending that kind of money.

Another dealer has suggested I try a Luxman L-590 AXII and offered a home demo, but doubt I'll take him up on it.

Off to buy more music to console myself

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Ah well, it was nice while it lasted... had an Email back from my enquiry about part exchanging the E470 for the E600 and they wanted another 6K on top!

Thanks for your considered advice Electro, I would always home demo first before spending that kind of money.

Another dealer has suggested I try a Luxman L-590 AXII and offered a home demo, but doubt I'll take him up on it.

Mac

I think you are making the right choice Mac, 6K is an awful lot of money on top of what you have spent for what I would imagine would be very little improvement.

I would still urge you to make enquiries about some room treatement, few hundred spent on some acoustic treatment will make a huge improvement to your system and can be installed in a very tasteful looking unobtrusive package and removed easily if you ever move house .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
30W in a normal room with 85-89db sensitive speakers isn't small at all. Mind you this Accuphase doubles down to 2ohms, 30-60-120. I don't think the Harbeths will be current starved.

My only concern would be proper cooling because all integrated amps that pushed 30W class A, or even just high biased AB, with the heatsinks inside the case are now baked and therefore a very rare vintage find. (Yamaha, Marantz etc)

From experience and doing tests I've learned that lifting the amp from the bottom surface immensly improves cooling because it improves convex cooling air flow (cold air is sucked from the bottom, hot air pushed on the top). Even better if the amp sits on a vented surface (example steel mesh). It will significantly prolongue the amplifier life span. With bad cooling many electrolythic caps will go bad (higher ESR or even leaky) after just 2000 hours of operation (2-3 years of regular use).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I think you are making the right choice Mac, 6K is an awful lot of money on top of what you have spent for what I would imagine would be very little improvement.

I would still urge you to make enquiries about some room treatement, few hundred spent on some acoustic treatment will make a huge improvement to your system and can be installed in a very tasteful looking unobtrusive package and removed easily if you ever move house .

Electro, I'll drop you an Email re this, as I might need some advice.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts