The CD changer is back – and Yamaha’s new CD-C603 has something I wish mine had in 2005

MixerFistit

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
My parent's (presumably budget) Goodmans all in one style had this feature from around 2000. Considering the way the 5 discs are rotated and taken off the carousel to be played I assumed all CD changers in this format could do that. That's not to say that I wasn't impressed by the design at the time. I remember not knowing about the capability, playing a disc then ejecting to add more discs only to be amazed that the first disc kept playing and feeling a little silly because of course why should it matter. Maybe I was too hard on my young self lol. Either way it was great for parties!

bert the fish

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
Every multi CD player I've ever used could change at least some of the non playing discs. My first 5 disc Sony one you could change at least one (it broke down about twenty years ago) , my mother's 3 disc could change both non playing. Another had separate trays for each disc, which could be ejected individually, and my last one, with a 50 disc carousel, I could change about ten.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

TGO

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure what the article is going on about, every multidisc player I've used could change all the discs except obviously the one playing.

mirosparks

Nov 3, 2023
Visit site
Great to see the disc changer's comeback, my 1999 Sony DVP-C650D allows me shuffle the tracks between all discs (ie. track 16 of disc 3 --> track 4 of disc 1..., yeah it's slower than shuffle on Spotify because it has to change discs every track), but it also changes all but the playing disc in operation.

thatguy

Aug 30, 2021
Visit site
Who needs a CD changer now? Just rip to a PC, laptop or NAS and, change at will with a click or a tap.
I'm all for nostalgia but I can't imagine going back to sorting through disks from having NAS. But I guess every generation gets to a point where they long for what they used to have.

Now, if they bring back the turntables that could hold multiple records.... ;P

rodjames

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
hate to break it to ya but playxchange has been on every Yamaha cd changer since the 90s. nothing to see here. move along

(Profanity deleted by moderation.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wales1

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Cut out language. This is not Twitter
That was my comment,there is no F word on there? How can I be held responsible for reporting on someone swearing?

Cut out language. This is not Twitter
That was my comment,there is no F word on there? How can I be held responsible for reporting on someone swearing?
When you reply to someone (as you did), the post you are replying to is included in yours (in the same way that my replying to your post includes it in this post - see above) - so the profanity you objected to was repeated in your post (number 12). I've edited it out, but it's best just to use the 'report' function - bottom left of every post.

Reactions: WayneKerr

pat tap

Nov 15, 2023
Visit site
Who needs a CD changer now? Just rip to a PC, laptop or NAS and, change at will with a click or a tap.
i have a yamaha RX396 cd player i picked up off the side of the road on a rubbish pile when people like you decided that old hi fi was dead and playing music through a pc was the business....my free yamaha 5 stacker playxchange still sounds a lot better than any music i play through my modern pc....

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Every multi CD player I've ever used could change at least some of the non playing discs. My first 5 disc Sony one you could change at least one (it broke down about twenty years ago) , my mother's 3 disc could change both non playing. Another had separate trays for each disc, which could be ejected individually, and my last one, with a 50 disc carousel, I could change about ten.
My very much alive and kicking Arcam MCD is brilliant. It gives many a single disc player a run for it's money.
The one thing you can't do, however, is play one disc and load another.
Not often I defend WHF, in fact never, but I have to be fair.

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
I actually misunderstood the article (I think) and thought that the player would load up the next CD, so if you want to shuffle tracks across the CDs, there won't be a delay while the next disc is loaded. I imagine that this would require a disc stacking system rather than a tray and possibly two lasers, but it would be a significant upgrade to most CD changers.
However, this article has excited me to get hold of a CD changer, as it would be excellent for playing my collection of CD singles while I'm working at home. Thanks Becky!

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
I actually misunderstood the article (I think) and thought that the player would load up the next CD, so if you want to shuffle tracks across the CDs, there won't be a delay while the next disc is loaded. I imagine that this would require a disc stacking system rather than a tray and possibly two lasers, but it would be a significant upgrade to most CD changers.
However, this article has excited me to get hold of a CD changer, as it would be excellent for playing my collection of CD singles while I'm working at home. Thanks Becky!
Update: just bought a Denon DCM-280, and the digital output is connected to a Beresford TC-7520 DAC. I'm enjoying it immensely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts