The Car Thread.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I never got the Beetle, or the noughties rehash. Someone I used to know had an original - the heater was (to all intents and purposes) non-existent and she binned it in winter because its tail-heavy balance caught her out. But each to their own!
I've always had passionate dislike of Beetles, but this one looks like the hens teeth as it's a 1954 version. Can't be too many this old in the UK.

Vincent Kars

I've always had passionate dislike of Beetles.
Really?

Volkswagen-Beetle_Danni-Koldal_HotRod_0020_91059547_2728210880567071_5507115727557240021_n.jpg

Reactions: WayneKerr
My daughter is looking for a car. Originally she wanted to look at Alfa Mito, but that's gone out of the window.

Tomorrow (Tuesday), she has her hooks in a Mini. We are going to look at two, one convertible (not my scene) and one Cooper saloon. If either are any good I'll let her decide.

WayneKerr

My daughter is looking for a car. Originally she wanted to look at Alfa Mito, but that's gone out of the window.

Tomorrow (Tuesday), she has her hooks in a Mini. We are going to look at two, one convertible (not my scene) and one Cooper saloon. If either are any good I'll let her decide.
What's the insurance gonna be like for your daughter on a Cooper PP?

What's the insurance gonna be like for your daughter on a Cooper PP?
£70 per month or around £700 and something if you pay it off in one lump. Road tax is £150 per year

She's purchased the Cooper which has a few more extras the basic model doesn't have. We're picking it up later in the week, but she's got the two sets of keys and documents.

£70 per month or around £700 and something if you pay it off in one lump. Road tax is £150 per year

She's purchased the Cooper which has a few more extras the basic model doesn't have. We're picking it up later in the week, but she's got the two sets of keys and documents.
Also, a nice little bonus. My Alfa is ULEZ compliant, I checked with TFL earlier this morning.

\o/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827-232423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827-232423_Chrome.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1

WayneKerr

Very surprising as they say ULEZ compliance is generally from 2006 onwards - my car is 2005.

On the Alfa Facebook register one owner has a 2003 2.5 V6 which is ULEZ compliant. That's the answer: if you want to avoid ULEZ, buy a Alfa.
Nephew has two cars, both petrol and the same age. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - work vehicle, and an Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. Guess which one is ULEZ compliant? Hint... it ain't the Astra. He's flabbergasted as the Audi does <20mpg if he's heavy with the loud pedal :)

Nephew has two cars, both petrol and the same age. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - work vehicle, and an Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. Guess which one is ULEZ compliant? Hint... it ain't the Astra. He's flabbergasted as the Audi does <20mpg if he's heavy with the loud pedal :)
It's the same with Alfas. They're not exactly the most frugal of engines, makes you wonder how the authorities decide which cars are compliant and which ones aren't.

WayneKerr

It's based upon emissions of various things, and not necessarily related to consumption. Mine's OK despite a 4.2l V8...
I completely understand what it's based on but I'm sure the amount of road fund licence you pay and your car being compliant must cause some head scratching. After all they are both based on emissions... I just find it all a little confusing for my small brain :)

Reactions: plastic penguin
I completely understand what it's based on but I'm sure the amount of road fund licence you pay and your car being compliant must cause some head scratching. After all they are both based on emissions... I just find it all a little confusing for my small brain :)
Best part of £60 a month. If I had a car with a similar emissions profile bought more recently I'd pay less. I'm looking forward to classic car RFL in 2032...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts