The Car Thread.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I think Audi's problem (and Mercedes too) is that they've gone from being understated, and the sort of thing you bought because you didn't want a BMW), to being another maker of overpriced SUVs.

There have been some greats though - the ur-Quattro, the R8 (original version in particular), the original A2 and the original A8 pioneering aluminium construction, making 4wd mainstream, and a few of the choice RS models.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I think Audi's problem (and Mercedes too) is that they've gone from being understated, and the sort of thing you bought because you didn't want a BMW), to being another maker of overpriced SUVs.

There have been some greats though - the ur-Quattro, the R8 (original version in particular), the original A2 and the original A8 pioneering aluminium construction, making 4wd mainstream, and a few of the choice RS models.
Any of the S or RS models are desirable. But the entry-level models tended to look a little non-descript. People tend to be so hung up on image and how a car mirrors that image.

This Fifth Gear episode is interesting.

View: https://youtu.be/O-pwjFNQKeQ

Been on the 156 Facebook register, and so far there's two in the same colour. One's in Northern Ireland and the other is in Germany. My car is the only one I can track down on mainland UK.

And mine is the only facelift version. The other two are early models.

Attachments

• 20230618_182331.jpg
    20230618_182331.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230618_182304.jpg
    20230618_182304.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 3
Because that's where the money is. Porsche committed the biggest sacrilege by going SUV route. Until then, they were creating cars purely for enthusiasts. Porsche Cayenne quickly became their money spinner and they've sold more SUVs than all their other models combined.

Because that's where the money is. Porsche committed the biggest sacrilege by going SUV route. Until then, they were creating cars purely for enthusiasts. Porsche Cayenne quickly became their money spinner and they've sold more SUVs than all their other models combined.
I understand the market - or at least the market forces, should I say - just see no reason to drive something unnecessarily tall, heavy, barn door aerodynamics etc etc. From what I read, legislation will start to intervene at some stage.

I understand the market - or at least the market forces, should I say - just see no reason to drive something unnecessarily tall, heavy, barn door aerodynamics etc etc. From what I read, legislation will start to intervene at some stage.
Every brand has SUVs now, even Alfa and Maserati. Personally dislike SUVs unless you have a huge family.

WayneKerr

The car has developed an electrical glitch. Every time I lock/unlock the car the indicators should flash - they don't. But the indicators work fine.

Ho-hum.
Just a matter of time that electrical gremlins start affecting older cars PP. My central locking now only opens two doors and the boot, fortunately one of those doors is the drivers door.

Had a right pain a few years ago when the RHR passenger door refused to unlock, on the button or manually. It's not easy trying to remove a door pad on a closed door. Once I got the pad off it still wouldn't unlock manually and couldn't get to the lock mechanism... ended up drilling a huge hole in the inner skin to get to the mechanism to unlock it and remove the offending mechanism. On refitting I decided not to reconnect the central locking wiring.

Just a matter of time that electrical gremlins start affecting older cars PP. My central locking now only opens two doors and the boot, fortunately one of those doors is the drivers door.

Had a right pain a few years ago when the RHR passenger door refused to unlock, on the button or manually. It's not easy trying to remove a door pad on a closed door. Once I got the pad off it still wouldn't unlock manually and couldn't get to the lock mechanism... ended up drilling a huge hole in the inner skin to get to the mechanism to unlock it and remove the offending mechanism. On refitting I decided not to reconnect the central locking wiring.
Yeah, older cars are pure money pits. It'll only be a matter of time before it goes up for sale.

All car manufacturers are in the business for money. Lotus has been in financial difficulties several times in the past and has changed ownership few times. Also, the landscape is changing with subsidies for electric cars. Manufacturers who don't go electric route will be under threat. It's easiest to make an electric car in SUV style as it can accommodate bigger batteries and afford to have raised floors for it.

All car manufacturers are in the business for money. Lotus has been in financial difficulties several times in the past and has changed ownership few times. Also, the landscape is changing with subsidies for electric cars. Manufacturers who don't go electric route will be under threat. It's easiest to make an electric car in SUV style as it can accommodate bigger batteries and afford to have raised floors for it.
Understand the logic but certain cars just don't look right with a SUV model.

Even Alfa Stelvio just seems odd.

However they've scrapped the Stelvio and Giulia models and are coming out with electric or hybrid cars.

Alfa have never made a profit since their halcyon racing days of the early 20th Century.

Understand the logic but certain cars just don't look right with a SUV model.

Even Alfa Stelvio just seems odd.

However they've scrapped the Stelvio and Giulia models and are coming out with electric or hybrid cars.

Alfa have never made a profit since their halcyon racing days of the early 20th Century.
Well, the Stelvio is Alfa's best selling model. Have they scrapped the Stelvio because I can see no evidence of it, given they gave a model refresh only last month?

Things changed last year.

Well, the Stelvio is Alfa's best selling model. Have they scrapped the Stelvio because I can see no evidence of it, given they gave a model refresh only last month?
Original plan was to scrap the Stelvio and Giulia platform, and design a EV from the ground up.

Here's a review of the proposed EV.

B7 generation RS4. Had it since January 2007, hence it feeling like a part of the family. Posted in a previous thread:

optimized-dsc_1203-jpg.3684

Wheels look a darn sight tidier in this than they actually are - for now at least.
Been thinking about another Audi. Looked at online older S5, from around 2008-2010. I know they are very fast, as your RS4 is, are the 'S' versions any good?

Been thinking about another Audi. Looked at online older S5, from around 2008-2010. I know they are very fast, as your RS4 is, are the 'S' versions any good?
Good rather than great would be fair, I think. 'S' Audis generally have less steering feel and a more nose-led handling balance than their natural rivals. Many of the RS versions too, though there have been exceptions. Well-made and nice inside and out - and I wouldn't want a car with a fair amount of grunt but without 4wd (having had two with it) living in a country as wet as the UK...

Reactions: plastic penguin
Good rather than great would be fair, I think. 'S' Audis generally have less steering feel and a more nose-led handling balance than their natural rivals. Many of the RS versions too, though there have been exceptions. Well-made and nice inside and out - and I wouldn't want a car with a fair amount of grunt but without 4wd (having had two with it) living in a country as wet as the UK...
Thanks 12th.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts