The Beatles (white album)

Nemo

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
I bought the album on the day it was released.

i replaced it after it was loaned out and never returned, can’t remember what I paid for either copy.

i recently noticed it for sale in a well known retailer, (I’ll call them VMH) for £34.99

yesterday the sticker price was £49.99. I’ll say that again, £49.99

Now is anyone fool enough to pay that, especially when rumour has it that Giles Martin is working on a 50th anniversary edition along the lines of the Sgt Pepper remaster of last year?

Never give a sucker an even break, as someone probably said once.

the same store was selling All things must pass last year at £69.99.

Look after your long playing records, (aka vinyl) and they will look after you.

Nemo said:
I bought the album on the day it was released.

i replaced it after it was loaned out and never returned, can’t remember what I paid for either copy.

i recently noticed it for sale in a well known retailer, (I’ll call them VMH) for £34.99

yesterday the sticker price was £49.99. I’ll say that again, £49.99

Now is anyone fool enough to pay that, especially when rumour has it that Giles Martin is working on a 50th anniversary edition along the lines of the Sgt Pepper remaster of last year?

Never give a sucker an even break, as someone probably said once.

the same store was selling All things must pass last year at £69.99.

Look after your long playing records, (aka vinyl) and they will look after you.

So true.

The amount some people can charge, and get away, with these days is strange. I would not like to try to value my current record collection but I am pretty sure it would fetch more than I paid to assemble it. Not many a person can say the same these days..., if they never owned vinyl that is. ;-)

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The retailer you refer to is particularly odious. And they used to be so good. A trip to their flagship store on Oxford Street was a real treat, you could find almost anything there.

Then they went bust. The first thing they did was to not honour any outstanding vouchers, or 'record tokens' in old money. I'd been saving them, had about 50 quids worth at the time. Or zero quids worth as I suddenly discovered.

I don't buy anything from them anymore, never forgiven them for rising from the ashes and leaving me well out of pocket...

It’s the same everywhere you go. Whether it’s local, or internet, the prices are getting silly.

I paid £31 for the latest Stone Sour album (Amazon pre order)which I though was very expensive. In the shop the other day it was £42 !

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the key is to be savvy where you buy things from.

Last week I bought Passenger’s The boy who cried Wolf LP from his website: £14:99 and included an excellent quality digital download

Just looked on Amazon: £49:99!

I’ve found buying direct from the artist can work out cheaper, In some cases you get exclusive colours, etc. I’ve just spent over £60 on Skindred’s new album, I ended up buying signed limited orange vinyl, signed cd, and a T-Shirt each for myself and the Mrs. I suppose that was decent value!

An old pal from school days set about buying all The Beatles albums once he earned his first salary, getting one a month. It seemed a bit odd to me as I didn’t necessarily rate them all. This was mid-70s, so long before CD or remastering. But if he kept them, I’m sure they would today be a very valuable collection!

jjbomber

bigfish786 said:
I’ve found buying direct from the artist can work out cheaper,

I just bought 2 albums from the band THEIA this evening, both signed. A bit of fun and supporting new, live music. I look at it as a charity donation rather than an investment!

Incidently Chasing Dragons were headling, THEIA main support with Psycho Kiss. The crowd was a grand total of 5 paying customers, of which only my sister and I paid in advance. When we turned up, the lady at the door had never seen a ticket before!

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
An old pal from school days set about buying all The Beatles albums once he earned his first salary, getting one a month. It seemed a bit odd to me as I didn’t necessarily rate them all. This was mid-70s, so long before CD or remastering. But if he kept them, I’m sure they would today be a very valuable collection!

I too collected all The Beatles albulms in the 70s, I kept the price stickers on them and they range from £2.14 to £2.75. I imagine if I sold them now I might get about £15 each for them as they are in pretty good condition. Not a bad investment I suppose. Mind you I then bought the CDs in the 80s and new stereo and mono vinyl versions not too long ago.

Also bought all the various Beatles at the BBC, Anthology, Naked, Love, Hollywood Bowl and various compilation albums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts