The Audiophile

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's an interesting question for you guys. Have you ever played a piece of music purely so that you could enjoy the sound quality of your hifi system rather than to just listen to music? If you answer yes then your an audiophile.

I know that I have.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Here's an interesting question for you guys. Have you ever played a piece of music purely so that you could enjoy the sound quality of your hifi system rather than to just listen to music?

I prefer this definition as I haven't so I'm not one, and if fr0g calls me one again I'll look at him very sternly and perhaps even shake my fist.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
Alec said:
I'm not, and neither is my (hypothetical) wife.

According to the dictionary, you are. You spent £1200 on a pair of speakers. You could have had a pair of perfectly nice speakers (that also include DAC and remote control) for just over a third that. They aren't as good sonically, or rather, the audio wouldn't have been up to the same standard, but heck you obviously love audio (or made a BIG mistake) ;)

http://audioengineusa.com/Store?search=Audioengine+5

Ooh. Maybe worth a punt...Maybe I'll work on that bedroom system I convinced myself I neither wanted or needed...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Alec said:
steve_1979 said:
Here's an interesting question for you guys. Have you ever played a piece of music purely so that you could enjoy the sound quality of your hifi system rather than to just listen to music?

I prefer this definition as I haven't so I'm not one, and if fr0g calls me one again I'll look at him very sternly and perhaps even shake my fist.

You upgraded your soundcard to get a digital connection to your ADMs rather than use the existing (perfectly good but less audiophile) analogue output.

That (and all the other things) certainly put you into the "about to shake your fists" category. :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
Alec said:
steve_1979 said:

You upgraded your soundcard to get a digital connection to your ADMs rather than use the existing (perfectly good but less audiophile) analogue output.

That (and all the other things) certainly put you into the "about to shake your fists" category. :)

I had a digital out already (2496 internal soundcard), and used it with the AVIs, but it had coax not optical, so required an adaptor. I then briefly switched to a cheaper card with optical out before switching back (on someone's advice...). But now I have an optical out on my motherboard.

Really, you can file me under "doesn't really know what he's doing".

Anyone else having trouble with the stuff in th equote box moving up and down when you try to reply to a quote?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
I have 3 full size systems in my house, I have no friends and am a Virgin.

I have 3 systems, no friends and seem to have found my virginity again! :doh:

:cheers:

Edit. Good name for your situation! :grin:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have said this before, but I think it worth repeating......

I have an interest in the recording of music and it's playback in the home. I have not been in a recording environment in 20 odd years but when I have access to a selection of decent playback equipment I love to try different things and work out what does what and what works best. It's fun and although I play music to make my evaluations, the music is not of the essence in this case.

On the other hand when I am 'just' playing music the equipment is of no consequence, actually that is not quite true, there are some aspects of what passes for hi-fi that I find intensely annoying, but providing they are not present then it is fine.

My 'proper' system, 'boutique' quality EL34 based amplifier and ribbon hybrid speakers is not available to me, so I make do with a £200 desktop setup pressed into use as a main system. Providing I do not ask too much of it there is a wide range of music that I find really to be enjoyable.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
My 'proper' system, 'boutique' quality EL34 based amplifier and ribbon hybrid speakers is not available to me, so I make do with a £200 desktop setup pressed into use as a main system. Providing I do not ask too much of it there is a wide range of music that I find really to be enjoyable.

Are you in exile?

You're not Edward Snowden are you?

:grin:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:

Are you in exile?

You're not Edward Snowden are you?

:grin:

Sort of and no, I am far too 'mouthy' to be Edward Snowden, if I were I would be spending more time trying to bring down 'The Great Satan'.

We moved overseas in 2003 but had to return to the UK a couple or three years ago for family reasons.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Having bought a Devialet amp recently (and looking for a pair of hilariously expensive standmount speakers to go with it), I confess: "I'm DocG and I'm an audiophile".

Having said that, I recently bought a very nice pair of shoes, whereas I could have had a (not so nice) pair at half the price. Makes me a calceophile too, I guess.

And last week, with the kids sleeping over at grandma's, we booked a table in a gastronomic restaurant. Excellent evening! But needless to say, there are far cheaper ways to satisfy one's hunger. My god, I'm also a cauponaphile!

And thinking of it: a whiskophile, birotaphile, cerevisiophile, automobilophile, mulierophile (my wife is not the cheapest either!)...

:eek:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
:clap:

I only hope you don't frequent mulierophile forums (actually shouldn't that be gynophile?) where men discuss upgrading their wives ...

I've upgraded Mrs DDC twice over the years, once due to being away all the time so I had no time to 'play' and once due to simple 'theft'.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

I only hope you don't frequent mulierophile forums (actually shouldn't that be gynophile?) where men discuss upgrading their wives ...

Gynophile sounds far better indeed! :cheers:

Then again, I'm not a hellenophile... :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:

I've upgraded Mrs DDC twice over the years, once due to being away all the time so I had no time to 'play' and once due to simple 'theft'.

:rofl:

I've only done it once but I'm still paying for it.

Chris

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
Just in case you're finding the hobby becoming a little, ah, obsessive....lol

A funny, but also sad description, but one I find very true from my interaction with the breed over the years...

Enjoy....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/audiophile.htm

JM
smiley-cool.gif

I guess I'm one of the few persons in this thread who finds the article funny rather than offensive. Perhaps it's because I somewhat agree with a number of the points.

Also, I've always accepted that this hobby is not the coolest...

In fact most hobbies are kind of dorky....

I can't count the number of TV shows and movies that show serial killers obssesively collecting items like stamps, coins etc...

If you collect watches, expensive clothes, wines, etc you still get mocked to an extent.... Not as bad as audiophiles, but you will still be laughed at by many people.

Even Car Enthusiasts get mocked for spending ridiculous amounts of money to tweak their ride and then not spending nearly that much time actually driving it.

One of the interesting things about our hobby is how so many of us (including Ken Rockwell) attempt to justify our own audiophile excesses while dissing other audiophiles.

I've seen an audiophile claim that his $15,000 system was a smart investment, based on years of careful auditioning, researching and finding good deals on second hand gear, yet still claim that the guys who spend $50,000 on speakers are lunatics with more money than brains... Somehow, he couldn't see that $15,000 for any HiFi (especially USED HiFi) is considered utterly NUTS by the average person.... For most persons the guy who spends $50K is just considered to be a richer NUT than the guy who spent $15K. But both are mocked just the same.

In Rockwell's article he exlcudes electrical engineers from the "audiophile" label, without realising that EE's can be some of the worst tinkerers. Just think of the number of brands with obssesive engineers who constanly tweek their products or completely change circuits and try again... Sure they maybe taking a more 'scientific' approach than the typical audiophile, but it is no less obssessive... Just check out what goes on on DIY audio forums...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts