The Audiophile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
An interesting read.

This is a good quote:

"A music lover will stop what he's doing and stay glued to a favorite piece of music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker or a public-address system, while an audiophile almost never enjoys music, even if played on a $100,000 hi-fi."

A good quote in a 'complete and utter sh-te' sort of way, I suppose.

Well I like it anyway. :p

You like to think that you're more of a music lover than others on here, hm?

When did I say that?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
An interesting read.

This is a good quote:

"A music lover will stop what he's doing and stay glued to a favorite piece of music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker or a public-address system, while an audiophile almost never enjoys music, even if played on a $100,000 hi-fi."

A good quote in a 'complete and utter sh-te' sort of way, I suppose.

Well I like it anyway. :p

You like to think that you're more of a music lover than others on here, hm?

When did I say that?

The quote is reverse snobbery isn't it? We've had a poster recently saying 'people actually ENJOY music even though they pay no attention to sound quality' - snobbery. But this is 'I love music so much more than those people who CARE about the equipment they play it on' - reverse snobbery.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You're reading too much into my comment. And no I don't think that I enjoy music more than many of the other forum members here.

Peace man. :cheers:

A music lover will appreciate good music no matter what system it's being played on. They will also be able appreciate the music more when played on a better quality system with better clarity and range because it allows them to hear the music clearer.

An audiophile (someone who loves the equipment more than the music) is likely to struggle to enjoy the music as much because they're too busy obsessing about how the equipment sounds rather than listening to the actual content of the music.

Do I enjoy listening to music on my £14 X-Mini portible 1.5" speaker? Yes absolutely.

Would I spend £2000 on a pair of good quality active speakers? Yes absolutely. But only to make the music sound better. I couldn't give a damn about the actual speakers though they're just a means to an end - the music.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
You're reading too much into my comment. And no I don't think that I enjoy music more than many of the other forum members here.

Peace man. :cheers:

A music lover will appreciate good music no matter what system it's being played on. They will also be able appreciate the music more when played on a better quality system with better clarity and range because it allows them to hear the music clearer.

An audiophile (someone who loves the equipment more than the music) is likely to struggle to enjoy the music as much because they're too busy obsessing about how the equipment sounds rather than listening to the actual content of the music.

Do I enjoy listening to music on my £14 X-Mini portible 1.5" speaker? Yes absolutely.

Would I spend £2000 on a pair of good quality active speakers? Yes absolutely. But only to make the music sound better. I couldn't give a damn about the actual speakers though they're just a means to an end - the music.

Yep I think this is right. According to the Oxford English Dictionary an audiophile is "a devotee of high-fidelity sound reproduction". A lover of music is a "musicophile" which is rather clumsy in my opinion and "music-lover" somewhat nicer. There's nothing wrong with being either of these and I guess it is possible to combine the two. I put myself in the music-lover camp and I'm only interested in equipment to the extent that it gets me closer to the music.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Yep I think this is right. According to the Oxford English Dictionary an audiophile is "a devotee of high-fidelity sound reproduction". A lover of music is a "musicophile" which is rather clumsy in my opinion and "music-lover" somewhat nicer. There's nothing wrong with being either of these and I guess it is possible to combine the two. I put myself in the music-lover camp and I'm only interested in equipment to the extent that it gets me closer to the music.

Chris

IMO. In order to get the music to sound right, it is necessary to have a good knowledge of the equipment. The equipment for me is a means to an end, and not the raison d'être for being into hifi.

I use piano, violin, soprano, acoustic material and spoken voice, to judge the accuracy of a system to real life......and everything I do is trying to narrow the gap.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Having spent much of my life in the music business I have considerable interest in the way recordings are made and, subsequently, played back in the home. I have spoken of this before but I see no contradiction in having this interest as a hobby in its own right.

I love music and play it on my own very modest system and manage to enjoy much of it, but I do not consider it to be remotely 'hi-fi' and I am very much aware that it is quite difficult to listen to some music due to it's limitations. The reproduction is so modest that there is no point 'fiddling' or 'tweaking', so I don't, simple as that.

Some people seem to find this difficult to understand, not sure why but to me it is quite simple, they are separate but related hobbies and I have no problem enjoing both.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Anyone who spends more than a few hundred quid to listen to music is an audiophile.

The comparison to the sick bastards who have a mental disease is stupid and damaging. But I guess funny in the right context, which this isn't.

Everyone on this forum bar the odd querier about Monster Beats is an audiophile.

Everyone on "the other forum" is also an audiophile.

My missus sits and listens to music on her laptop. She watches the TV with the TV speakers. She loves music. She is a music lover.

I can't bear to listen on the laptop. I have one of those cheap speakers Steve does. It's **** and I don't use it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Having spent much of my life in the music business I have considerable interest in the way recordings are made and, subsequently, played back in the home. I have spoken of this before but I see no contradiction in having this interest as a hobby in its own right.

I love music and play it on my own very modest system and manage to enjoy much of it, but I do not consider it to be remotely 'hi-fi' and I am very much aware that it is quite difficult to listen to some music due to it's limitations. The reproduction is so modest that there is no point 'fiddling' or 'tweaking', so I don't, simple as that.

Some people seem to find this difficult to understand, not sure why but to me it is quite simple, they are separate but related hobbies and I have no problem enjoing both.

TBH I quite enjoy the equipment side of things too (I'm interested in most things technology related not just hifi). Reading about hifi equipment and listening to it in shops is fun.

With the stuff I buy though, I'm only interested in equipment which will allow me to listen to music as clearly as possible for a price that I can afford. Much of the 'audiophile' equipment doesn't enter into this category IMO.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

TBH I quite enjoy the equipment side of things too (I'm interested in most things technology related not just hifi). Reading about hifi equipment and listening to it in shops is fun.

With the stuff I buy though, I'm only interested in equipment which will allow me to listen to music as clearly as possible for a price that I can afford. Much of the 'audiophile' equipment doesn't enter into this category IMO.

Be careful Steve, comments like that could well find you in the WHF doghouse, right now that is my domain.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
Be careful Steve, comments like that could well find you in the WHF doghouse, right now that is my domain.

...but that's where the good music is. :cheer:

Naturally, I'm in charge......... ;)

You're certainly bossy enough for leadership! :twisted:

You have no idea....... 8)

I promised john that I would be polite and restrained when posting on here, you should bare that in mind.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I promised john that I would be polite and restrained when posting on here, you should bare that in mind.

Must say davedotco I have quite come to enjoy your posts, they seem passionate and knowledgeable even if they do sail close to the wind on occasions.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I think I missed that meeting.

Damn, busted......... :silenced:

Actually I just took on board some of your comments in a fairly contentious thread a couple of months ago.

But 'promising' to be good sounded so much better...... ;)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
He's not even a decent photographer.

... most famous photo blogger? yes

shouldn't be read in absoulute terms

read that for fun? yes

like here - 7 levels of photographers

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

where level '0' and bottom level 1 are so popular these days

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts