The Audiophile

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
"Audiophiles are non-technical, non-musical kooks who imagine the darnedestly stupid things about audio equipment."

Says it all.

Maybe a modern definition might be, "people who waste their precious time on a Sunday afternoon posting on a hifi forum". :twisted:

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
"Audiophiles are non-technical, non-musical kooks who imagine the darnedestly stupid things about audio equipment."

Says it all.

"Just like a pedophile, the word audiophile is defined as someone with an unhealthy attraction or interest in something"

That says it all: no, Rockwell, you small-minded bigot, the 'philia' bit purely means a love of something. It's from the Greek – you know, those guys who are all homosexual and live quite close to all the rag-heads in Eye-raq? You're reading the 'unhealthy attraction' thing in from your own misinterpretation, in order to draw your own distasteful analogy.

With such illiteracy around, is it any surprise people have been known to attack paediatricians?

This, and the apparently hilarious Daily Mash piece mentioned before, aren't funny or clever, and in very poor taste in the current climate. Hey, let's suggest people who are into hi-fi are just like kiddy-fiddlers, 'cos predatory paedophiles are a really rich source of humour, aren't they?

:wall:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I think someone should post that link again actually - it seems about time.

I also think JD should look for an app that removes things from his craw, and fr0g - and the rest of me - should count me among those who just pop up now and then to ask about these Beats things.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
"Just like a pedophile, the word audiophile is defined as someone with an unhealthy attraction or interest in something"

That says it all: no, Rockwell, you small-minded bigot, the 'philia' bit purely means a love of something. It's from the Greek – you know, those guys who are all homosexual and live quite close to all the rag-heads in Eye-raq? You're reading the 'unhealthy attraction' thing in from your own misinterpretation, in order to draw your own distasteful analogy.

With such illiteracy around, is it any surprise people have been known to attack paediatricians?

This, and the apparently hilarious Daily Mash piece mentioned before, aren't funny or clever, and in very poor taste in the current climate. Hey, let's suggest people who are into hi-fi are just like kiddy-fiddlers, 'cos predatory paedophiles are a really rich source of humour, aren't they?

:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
spiny norman said:

:clap:

Given the subject matter being discussed, can we have a 'heads up' on the content of that link before opening it? (Family friendly etc?)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Given the subject matter being discussed, can we have a 'heads up' on the content of that link before opening it? (Family friendly etc?)

I assure you that any person that has joined this forum will have no problem with the content of this link and it contains nothing that you would not let anyone in you family watch . :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
I assure you that any person that has joined this forum will have no problem with the content of this link and it contains nothing that you would not let anyone in you family watch . :)

I'd be too embarrased to let my family watch that. They already think I'm potty enough for spending as much as I have on audio equipment.

You should have seen the look on my girlfriends face when I said I was considering spending two grand on some new speakers. It was utter confusion "...but....why....?"

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
Yep I think this is right. According to the Oxford English Dictionary an audiophile is "a devotee of high-fidelity sound reproduction". A lover of music is a "musicophile" which is rather clumsy in my opinion and "music-lover" somewhat nicer. There's nothing wrong with being either of these and I guess it is possible to combine the two. I put myself in the music-lover camp and I'm only interested in equipment to the extent that it gets me closer to the music.

Chris

IMO. In order to get the music to sound right, it is necessary to have a good knowledge of the equipment. The equipment for me is a means to an end, and not the raison d'être for being into hifi.

I use piano, violin, soprano, acoustic material and spoken voice, to judge the accuracy of a system to real life......and everything I do is trying to narrow the gap.

+1.. I thought it was a good write up untill the comparing of pediophile.. Just spoiled it all.

Jazzman53

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
"An audiophile never enjoys music; he only listens to the sound of audio equipment."

I don't completely agree with this statement from the article, since I do enjoy music. However, as a speaker builder, I do find myself listening to the equipment, and I will buy a well recorded album even if I'm not crazy about the music on it, just to hear my speakers sing. Does that make me an audiophile???

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
As I said earlier, pretty much anyone here is an audiophile (a lover of audio). £100 will buy you a perfectly good music playback device and non-audiophiles are happy with that.

Audiophiles, in my book are those who seek to better the playback method and will spend what seems like a silly amount of money to non-audiophiles to do so.

"Why do we need extra speakers when the TV has sound?"

"What's wrong with the Sony Boombox we have?"

"I got free headphones with my phone, why do I need to swap them?"

If you are likely to ask any of these questions it is probable you are not an audiophile. If not, then you probably are.

Ken Rockwell's article is stupid, moronic even. Yes, some audiophiles will seek to upgrade every week, or get conned by strange men selling cables, but most simply enjoy good reproduction of music.

I have changed parts of my system maybe 10 times in 14 years, and most changes have come after a house move or an injection of cash (and occaisionally due to a realisation that I'd been taken for a mug).

Ken Rockwell is also an audiophile...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
As I said earlier, pretty much anyone here is an audiophile (a lover of audio). £100 will buy you a perfectly good music playback device and non-audiophiles are happy with that.

Audiophiles, in my book are those who seek to better the playback method and will spend what seems like a silly amount of money to non-audiophiles to do so.

If you are likely to ask any of these questions it is probable you are not an audiophile. If not, then you probably are.

Ken Rockwell's article is stupid, moronic even. Yes, some audiophiles will seek to upgrade every week, or get conned by strange men selling cables, but most simply enjoy good reproduction of music.

I have changed parts of my system maybe 10 times in 14 years, and most changes have come after a house move or an injection of cash (and occaisionally due to a realisation that I'd been taken for a mug).

Jeez Frog, I think we agree on more than one might imagine! :grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:

WHAAAAAT?!!!

Those questions sound so idiotic to me. I guess that means I must an audiophile too. :dance:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yes, he is an audiophile and most importantly - as a photographer - he's also perfect candidate for bottom level 1

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
"A music lover will stop what he's doing and stay glued to a favorite piece of music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker or a public-address system, while an audiophile almost never enjoys music, even if played on a $100,000 hi-fi."

You get some people who love music but are content to listen to tinny computer speakers or TV speakers.

You get some people who obsess about the equipment but don't really care all that deeply for the music.

Then there's the grey area in between which I'd guess is where the majority of the regular WHF forum members are (myself included). They love music and buy expensive equipment so they can enjoy the music even more. But they also love the equipment too - the design, the technology, the bling and the discussions...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Alec said:
I'm not, and neither is my (hypothetical) wife.

According to the dictionary, you are. You spent £1200 on a pair of speakers. You could have had a pair of perfectly nice speakers (that also include DAC and remote control) for just over a third that. They aren't as good sonically, or rather, the audio wouldn't have been up to the same standard, but heck you obviously love audio (or made a BIG mistake) ;)

http://audioengineusa.com/Store?search=Audioengine+5

And even then. What's wrong with a £100 boombox? I used one for years. Loved my music. I have one in the house with a digital and analoge output too. Cost me that ton, plays CDs and will plug into a computer. Music sounds great through it at the beach or on the patio. I

Or better still a pair of Logitech computer speakers? I have some of those too. Sounded great until I broke one. Cost me £40. That's what I listened to on my computer for a while. And I still loved the music they played.

But in the long run. It, they, it etc wasn't enough. Why I have my Dalis and a pair of ADMs. Not cheap, but then High fidelity playback isn't. But it is the realm of the audiophile.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
You get some people who love music but are content to listen to tinny computer speakers or TV speakers.

You get some people who obsess about the equipment but don't really care all that deeply for the music.

Then there's the grey area in between which I'd guess is where the majority of the regular WHF forum members are (myself included). They love music and buy expensive equipment so they can enjoy the music even more. But they also love the equipment too - the design, the technology, the bling and the discussions...

Gotta remove that stupid quote from the moron. Otherwise. Totally agree.

Some people here are obsessive audiophiles. They can't rest, nothing is ever quite right.

Most people here are audiophiles AND music lovers.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
fr0g said:

Jeez Frog, I think we agree on more than one might imagine! :grin:

I am certain we agree on lots of things, just not always on the path to them...;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts