The Apex Club

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rew will show you just how horrifically bad acoustically your room is and just how little YPAO is actually doing. It attempts to alter sections of the freq reponse but inbtween those it has no effect - thats why Auddessey and ARC are better systems

REW shows you things you cannot tell by ear - its especially useful for subwoofer placement, integration and more

I would advise everyone learns to use it - its free as well

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I know what REW is just have never had the time nor interest to run it. Don't even own a microphone. I'm satisified with the antimode and YPAO, though I acknowledge that YPAO is not the most highly regarded as far as subwoofer EQ is concerned. It only EQs down to 30hz and on some versions does not EQ the sub at all.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You do have a mic - the mic that comes with the antimode you can use - or you can use a standard radioshack spl metre - you must own one of these otherwise how do you check your levels? That is a must own piece of kit for everyone surely.

To use the antimode mic you do need a mic amplification kit which DSPeaker sell - I would try and buy it through BK though is it will be cheaper. The postage cost from France is expensive - I have bought one. You also need a mic calibration file which you can get from the DSPeaker website, You copy the files and save as a doc - the REW accepts it. I use it even though I dont have an anitmode any more - I bought an additonal mic - its omnidiorectional and is good enough

EQing down to 30hz in YPAO means nothing - if you have a Parametric EQ point at 30hz and 50hz for example - but you have a peak at 40hz it will bring downn 30hz and 50hz to compensate for 40hz. This is very wrong!!!

Where as Audessey and ARC will set an EQ point, width or Q and level for the correct frequencies that need the EQ.

This is what the antimode does aswell hence why I suggested turning the bass EQ of YPAO off its probbably doing more harm than good.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I've forgotten how many filters there are on the YPAO but i think it checks every third of an octave. I didnt know you could use and ordinary SPL meter or the stick that came with the anti mode. That helps, since i've got both.

Whilst I check the levels and manually adjust to 80db I would wager that the percentage of AV receiver owners that do the same is in single figures.

Venrith

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my surround sound system after having a 10odd year old all in one 5.1 Sony system. I'm thinking it's about time I upgraded and did it proper.

I'm new to all this and was thinking about the Focal Dome 5.1 system but then after reading some reviews it came to my attention that I would be better off placing a few more £££ and getting something that will last me for awhile and sound great.

My room is about 3m wide and 4m long, would you recommend a 5 or 7.1 system? Also would you suggest A10's for all corners and 1 A40 or the 3xA40's for the front? Also thinking of pairing it with a lx83 amp. This will 99% be used for movies

Thanks

Michael

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford, and properly mount, the A40s over the A10s then they are more capable speakers. I'm selling my last two A10s this week so that I can move to A40s all around.

7.1 is fine if the speaker placement is correct but frankly I've never derived that much benefit from surround backs. 5.1 works fine for me but that is just personal taste.

Venrith

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I take it the a40's can be mounted vertical or horizontal? I'm thinking L&R fronts fixed to the wall vertically, centre horizontal under the tv and then thinking 2xA10's for the backs because I will have to mount them high above the window and point them down. Think I'll keep an eye out for second hand to keep the costs down

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes if you are going to wall mount them then you can orientate them as you please. With hindsight I'd have just bought five A40s. The A10s are fine for surround duties.

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi apex owners, been a loyal owner for a couple of years now, but haven't used my kit for a long time, and it doesnt deserve to be sitting idle and not being enjoyed, so its going for sale, 4x A10 4xA10 stands 1xA40, 1x matching stunning AW12 sub, all in gloss black, cost me a small fortune! Also a stunning Yamaha home cinema amp RX V3067, all items come with original boxes, for sale and can be seen/heard in Northern Ireland

Venrith

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
holywoodcowboy said:
Hi apex owners, been a loyal owner for a couple of years now, but haven't used my kit for a long time, and it doesnt deserve to be sitting idle and not being enjoyed, so its going for sale, 4x A10 4xA10 stands 1xA40, 1x matching stunning AW12 sub, all in gloss black, cost me a small fortune! Also a stunning Yamaha home cinema amp RX V3067, all items come with original boxes, for sale and can be seen/heard in Northern Ireland

Out of interest how much for the system with and without the amp? Would you be willing to post it?

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Venrith, apologies I've been busy with work

I'm not great at pricing things, but as the full APEX system would cost just short of £3000, I'm thinking about £2000 or there abouts

The Yamaha was £1200, so I was thinking £700 as part of the package, a little more if sold separate . .

. . although this is negotiable.

As for posting, I wouldn't have a clue re costs, the AW12 is a heavy beast!

Going to advertise the system this week, so if anyone is interested let me know

Cheers, Holywood

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
Mtenga said:
Well I've moved to five A40s and am glad I ignored bigger speakers. Might get a sixth for rear. Couldn't accommodate 7 of them.

Are you using 2 A40s for your rear channels in a 5.1 setup? No A10s at all?

And more importantly, how does it sound............................this is exactly what I intend to do and I think it should be just the mutts nuts in terms of sonic and tonal integration?

Please tell.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am using five A40s in a 5.1 setup. I started with four A10s and one A40 but have now replaced the A10s so have A40s throughout. The A40 is a more capable speaker than the A10 and I would certainly recommend. I can hear the difference using the larger speaker. I intend to get a sixth shortly, for a 6.1 system, and a Paradigm Seismic 100 for the sub to replace my Monolith.

buzz_lightclick

I would have thought using A40s for the rear channels was a slight overkill, but fair play to you if you think it sounds better.

Ideally I would have had 3 A40s across the front but my setup /layout doesn't allow for that as the A40s dont have floor stands (none of my kit is mounted on the wall).

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
I would have thought using A40s for the rear channels was a slight overkill, but fair play to you if you think it sounds better.

Ideally I would have had 3 A40s across the front but my setup /layout doesn't allow for that as the A40s dont have floor stands (none of my kit is mounted on the wall).

That was my concern too if you read a few pages back. But the 40 is just a more capable speaker regardless of what you are asking it to do. Even with little going through it at the back it's just fuller. A worthy upgrade even for rears.

Venrith

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
holywoodcowboy said:
Hi Venrith, apologies I've been busy with work

I'm not great at pricing things, but as the full APEX system would cost just short of £3000, I'm thinking about £2000 or there abouts

The Yamaha was £1200, so I was thinking £700 as part of the package, a little more if sold separate . .

. . although this is negotiable.

As for posting, I wouldn't have a clue re costs, the AW12 is a heavy beast!

Going to advertise the system this week, so if anyone is interested let me know

Cheers, Holywood

Thanks for the reply, I only asked about postage because im living in the midlands so I think its a little too far to buy it in person. Not a bad price I guess, a little more than I expected though. Good luck with the sale

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I've just started to downsize my front 3 speakers (slightly) and have already bought a pair of the 2013 model Radius 270 floorstanders - would it be worth exchanging my current centre, an MA GSLCR for an Apex A40?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Similar is ok, same is better especially across the front 3

Going for the full Monty

Just ordered an additional 2 x A40s for surrounds to replace my KEF T301s, really can't wait just to know that all speakers will be tonally and physically matched!!

Hmm........................then maybe a DXD808......................who knows!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
Going for the full Monty

Just ordered an additional 2 x A40s for surrounds to replace my KEF T301s, really can't wait just to know that all speakers will be tonally and physically matched!!

Hmm........................then maybe a DXD808......................who knows!

Awesome! Awesome! *thumbs up* Please report back when fully run-in and calibrated!

Kreisels DXD-808 seems promising too I must admit! I actually got my aim on their Q125 speakers as a possible replacement for my Apex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts