The Apex Club

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

michael hoy

What position on the sub do you have the volume set at.

Standing at the front of the sub looking at the actual speaker cone, 12 o'clock being pointing at the back of the sub.

9 being to the left and 3 being to the right.

Mine is at 11 o'clock

In the setup menu of your amp, what setting do you have for the sub.
Subwoofer Level Adjust
This setting adjusts the volume level for the subwoofer.
Subwoofer Level Adjust
Set whether to adjust the subwoofer level.

On:

En­ables the ad­just­ment of the sub­woofer level.

Off
(De­fault):

Dis­ables the ad­just­ment of the sub­woofer level.
Subwoofer Level
Adjusts the volume level for the subwoofer.

–12.0 dB – +12.0 dB (De­fault : 0.0 dB)

Taken from the manual.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I followed the instruction by Audyssey. So set subwoofer volume at 50% (dial ponted at 12 o'clock), then let Audyssey do its thing and then set the LFE sub setting to 120hz (read that on the Audyssey forums). Crossovers are set at 60hz for the Center (A40) and 80hz for the L+R (A10). Subwoofer was set at -10db by Audyssey, did no chance anything else but change the "dialog adjustment" (which appeaers on my receiver when playing DD/DTS content) to +3db. Did not touch other settings. No subwoofer adjustment (it's off).

Would you consider the Marantz SR5009 a better fit than the Denon XR2100W?

Sliced Bread

hybridauth_Facebook_550686976 said:
Thanks, that clears it up a little. Coming from floorstanders, I of course understand the sub is there for a reason with satellites. It's just strange that I've read reviews raving about the bass performance of the A10 and A40, even read somewhere that a sub is not exactly needed. That's why I was so stunned when only playing from the A10's I noticed an almost complete absense of bass. So I began thinking it's the banana plugs, or the receiver is not up to scratch (sold the Pio, bought the Denon). And to be honest, I'm mostly using this system for tv/movies, so I'm not quite sure a 2000 euro receiver is really needed for my use.

you mentioned earlier that they performed well with the Yamaha stereo amp.

i agree with leeps that apex are primarily designed to run with a sub, however I imagine you could get away without one if you have bags of clean current and power. A Yamaha 3040 would probably sound rather good as it is over gassy II. it had WAY too much bass for my cm8's.

The sort of amplification you'd need doesn't come cheep though.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Amazing that this thread turned 4 years in January and still going strong...

I miss this club a bit. Moved on to other speakers last summer but still hold Apex in very high regard. Nice to see some of the same people still active here and holding on to this great system, and a few new owners too!

Wonder when MA will release Apex 2.0...? *wink*

kralin

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just joined the club placing an order for 3 A40 + 2 A10 with a good deal. I am coming from a pair of RX2 and a BX center.

I had to go for an on wall solution due to WAF and 1yo toddler moving around.

I am a little scared by the 200w rating for the A40 but hopefully the class D amp of my Pioneer SC-1223 will cope with it. I can't use ridicously loud volume anyway...

I'm going to try without the sub before and hopefully it will do until the toddler is big enough not to destroy it.

the reason of the post is due to a doubt in positioning the 3 A40.

My dear old panasonic plasma is wall mounted at 1m height. I am not sure if it makes more sense to have (option 1) the 3 A40 in line under the tv but quite close between them or (option 2) the center under the tv and L and R around the tv.

Opt 1 will have all the spears at ear level but they will be closer to each other, like 20 apart.

Opt 2 will probably have a bigger soundstage, but I am worried about the tweeters being too high, 50cm higher than the ear.

the focus of the system is on both music and movies. But if I have to choose I'll privilege the more musical choice.

The room is 3.6m x 4.2m but the space I can use for tge AV front is max 2m

thanks for any opinion on this.

I have sone photoshop mock up but I am not sure I am able to post it here...

kralin

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

here is the mockup of option 1

ZeR3dhb.jpg

We are redecorating so the futniture will be different but we are keeping the same storage under the tv.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
kralin said:
Thanks!

We are redecorating so the futniture will be different but we are keeping the same storage under the tv.

Long time since I have been here, but I have to comment as these are excellent speakers

I had APEX A40s as LCR, they are made to go vertically as well as horizontally, vertical ether side of your tv, try and get 2m at least between speakers for effective soundstage, they are genious speakers and you will not notice the tweeters being higher as they have excellent dispersion characteristics (IMHO in my room), angle the horizontal speaker up to your ear line as well.

Sit back and enjoy, don't get too hung up on exact alignment

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
you seriously going back to Apex from KK? Or just here because noone posts anything in the KK thread on AVF.

Noone has posted in here since you have been gone either :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That ain't true either way though. There's still activity in here and the AVF thread, which is pretty nice!

And yes, I'm going back to the Apex speakers as you already know from AVF.

The KK's will go into temporary storage.

buzz_lightclick

kralin said:
Thanks!

I would also go with Option 2 with your front left and right A40s vertically positioned to the sides of the TV and the centre horizontal below the centre of the TV.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ricky,

I havent been active on this post for yonks. Thought i'd drop by and say hi! Welcome back to the club!! I still have my Apex. Doing really well and still playing like a dream. :)

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I had mine at 80 Hz for a long time and now testing at 100 Hz.

I think in my case it works better and utilising the sub more, it is early days but worth trying for the sake of running the room eq again. I saved my settings for the 80 Hz so i can switch back.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ian986 said:
I was just wondering what you guys set your cross overs at ? 80hrz
It depends on the capabilities of your speakers and sub/subs. Your sub may have more presence in the 80-100Hz region, in which case it would make sense to set them to 80, which will ease the load on them if you play them at higher volumes. If you have a peak in the bass around that region then you don't want to excite it too much, in which case leave it to the speakers - if they're producing less output at that point then it will be excited less. If you have a null around this point, the sub may fill it better at certain points in the room, but as there are five speakers, they may help fill the null a little better. Obviously all this relies on having some data about the room response. If you don't have these, some test tones will help.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice to still see some action around the club!

Going back to this system turned out an absolute delight with dual AW12's and the NAD separates!

j9bl84.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts