TH-37PX80 or TH-42PX80B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Having resisted the urge to buy before Christmas (mainly because John Lewis in Newcastle would not price match) I now have a good choice in the sales, or do I?

37" or 42" will do me and I realy fancy a panasonic and you have already converted me into thinking Plasma.

I note that Dixons & Currys have the TH-37PX80 at £599 and the TH-42PX80B at £499 which seams strange. so which is the best buy? I usually watch the main channels via freeview and DVD's now and again.

While I'm on, is there any difference in the PX8, PX80 & PX80B models, and what are they?

Help greatly appreciated.

Peter

A

Anonymous

The PX80 & PX80B are the same (The 'B' just stands for British Version).

As far as I know the PX80 has a higher contrast ratio than the PX8 (15000:1 compared to 10000:1).

It also has an extra HDMI socket and a PC Socket.

As for the size - how far do you sit from your TV?

A

Anonymous

I think the PX8's are cut-down models with a lower contrast ratio and less connectivity. You can get the 37px80 for just under £500 aswell. I used to have the 37PX70 and wished i went for the 42" after a couple of months. You get used to the screen size very quickly IMO.

A

Anonymous

[*]bennyben: I used to have the 37PX70 and wished i went for the 42" after a couple of months. You get used to the screen size very quickly IMO.Fully agree. Go for the 42PX80.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif
That is the exact same dilemna we had on Boxing Day. I was set on the 37" then had reserved a 42" online from Currys for £499. Later on to RS and eventually we left with the 42" at a great price with their 5-year warranty. We sit 3.2m from the telly and that size is just right for us. The picture quality is amazing on good quality source, let alone HD stuff.

A

Anonymous

what is RS ? im having that dilema right now, have 37 reserved at panny shop (499 including 5 year warrenty) but they say i can have the 42 for same price etc.. what to do...

i have cardboard cut out of 42 on wall, looks very big! im going from a tiny 28inch crt (which measures 26 diagonally actually!) i sit 3.55m from the wall its going on to the edge of sofa

do i really want to see peoples heads that big??

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
YES YOU DO!!!!

It is recommended to view a 37" tv from between 2.46 and 4.1 metres away. 42" is around 2.75-4.6 metres away from the screen.

Both fit your 3.55 metres, but I bought the 42" panny rather than the 37", cos I knew I would regret it after a while and wished I'd bought bigger!!! I sit just over 3 metres away and love the size!!! (and so does the wife - errr, tv I mean!)

RS is Richer Sounds- have a look at their website. Curry's deal of £499 for the 42" is a bargain - bought mine in May for £635.

Hope that helps.......

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I'm pleased I wasn't the only one stuck on the fence.

Looks like the 42" wins the day, love the idea of the cardboard cut out it would make a great comedy sketch. I have a rectangle room with viewing distance between 3.0m - 3.7m so I'm within the min 2.8m - max 4.7m guidelines.

I've been shopping about a bit and it seams that quite a few of high street stores are on the £499 band wagon however these do not offer the panny 5 year guarantee, so does Richer Sounds on line deal of £549.90 for the TH-42PX80B with their own 5 year cover reesent the best value? Are these reliable to deal with?

Peter

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Peter,

Bought loads of equipment from Richer Sounds through the years with great service everytime, and also taken out a few of their guarantees.

But, well its not a but really, I have never had to call upon using them so do not know how good they are.

Sorry I can't be more helpful........

A

Anonymous

Cheers Pete,

A little reassurance is better than none. I don't think I'll get a better deal so I'll give them a ring in the morning.

Peter

A

Anonymous

If you're gonna sit 3.5m away from the screen, I would go for the bigger size. I have no regret myself whatsoever about not getting the 37" one. In fact I am constantly grinning from ear to ear whenever watching DVDs or BDs. I call it my "new cinema screen"...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts