Tantalising pictures of the new Devialet Expert model on their website...

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Gazzip said:
If you don't like their work to date then yes it probably will.

You mean they've managed to make it even more bland, anonymous and soulless? Wow.

Nah. They've made it even more neutral, powerful, accurate and with less distortion than their previous efforts which already had the lowest distortion of any Amplifier. But then, to actually appreciate a Devialet, you have to listen to one.

Of course Devialet's improvements also mean they're even more desirable, especially to those for whom one may be out of reach.....

I'm not sure many of us need One Kilowatt amplifiers, but - as ever with them - the technical side is compelling.

I guess if they leave you cold, there's no hope, but I rather like the fact they seem to have implemented the ideal "straight wire with gain" that those who dreamt up that phrase never got close to!

I'd be quite happy with a 200 myself.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'm not sure many of us need One Kilowatt amplifiers, but - as ever with them - the technical side is compelling.

I guess if they leave you cold, there's no hope, but I rather like the fact they seem to have implemented the ideal "straight wire with gain" that those who dreamt up that phrase never got close to!

I'd be quite happy with a 200 myself.

My guess is that you would, too.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
IMO any amplifier should be as bland, distorted, bright , characterless as the music it is playing. By that token, it should also be exciting, engaging, uplifting, joyful, tear inducing as the music it is playing - otherwise buy a SET. Hi Fi used to be about faithful reproduction but people now want a "warm" sound. Pipe & slippers? No thanks.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
But then, to actually appreciate a Devialet, you have to listen to one.
Have done, several times, with reactions varying between wondering what all the fuss was about and active dislike.

They may be designed to measure beautifully, have enough power to give the Sun a run for its money, come in a new version every time you think you've bought the ultimate one (clever, that: straight marketing with gain), but they really don't play music.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Infiniteloop said:
Have done, several times, with reactions varying between wondering what all the fuss was about and active dislike.

They may be designed to measure beautifully, have enough power to give the Sun a run for its money, come in a new version every time you think you've bought the ultimate one (clever, that: straight marketing with gain), but they really don't play music.

I don't entirely agree with your view on their SQ but this is a memorable quote!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
£5K to upgrade a Devialet 800 to the 1000 Pro. *shok*

The 1000 Pro will list at £23K which is £5K more than the 800 lists at, so on the bright side they are only charging the difference.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Infiniteloop said:

I have to say I agree with you. I really wanted one and home demoed with several other priced amps. Didn't get it at all. However the devialet is two components in a chain and some will work and some won't.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Nah. They've made it even more neutral, powerful, accurate and with less distortion than their previous efforts which already had the lowest distortion of any Amplifier. But then, to actually appreciate a Devialet, you have to listen to one.

Of course Devialet's improvements also mean they're even more desirable, especially to those for whom one may be out of reach.....

Am I the only person here that thinks that Devialet's amplifier distortion specifications are complete and utter marketing nonsense that bear absolutely no connection to how their amplifiers are used in the real world?

Take, for example their $16,000 D Premier integrated that Devialet specified as 0.001% THD+N.

Sounds amazingly good?

The reality is that into an 8 ohm load this amplifier achieved 0.0028% THD+N at 200 watts.

At 10 watts it was 0.01%

At 1 watt 0.03%

At 0.1 watt it was 0.1%

It's impossible to say for sure what the THD+N would be at lower power levels than that. An extrapolation suggests 1% THD+N at 0.001 watts. That's 70 dbs through my speakers (and 55dbs through average efficiency speakers). 70 dbs is pretty loud for domestic listening.

Further extrapolation indicates 10% THD+N at 50 dbs through my speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Devialet110inside.jpg

I know Devialet have a habit of putting covering plates inside their amplifiers.

But, it does seem to me that the selling price of their amplifiers bears no resemblance whatsoever to the material and manufacturing costs.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I know Devialet have a habit of putting covering plates inside their amplifiers.

But, it does seem to me that the selling price of their amplifiers bears no resemblance whatsoever to the material and manufacturing costs.

Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him.

“It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”

So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“But, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”

You are not just paying for the parts. You are also paying for the years of R&D. The patents that mean you cannot buy anything like this anywhere else.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:

Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him.

“It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”

So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“But, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

You are not just paying for the parts. You are also paying for the years of R&D. The patents that mean you cannot buy anything like this anywhere else.

So are you saying most devialet owners are gullible, hairless women lol

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Philim said:
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:

So are you saying most devialet owners are gullible, hairless women lol

No. I am suggesting that a number of people on this forum consider the ability, time and application of the designer and manufacturer to be worth nothing, and that an item's value can be established simply by adding up the value of it's parts. Those same people don't seem to be able to grasp the simple concept that a company like Devialet is a business which is in the game to make money.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Companies like Avondale, NVA, Tube Audio Labs also produce amplifiers that are the result of lifetimes of devotion from designers that are talented, knowledgable and experienced.

The big difference being that the pricing of their products bears a much closer relationship to the materials and manufacturing costs than Devialets.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Companies like Avondale, NVA, Tube Audio Labs also produce amplifiers that are the result of lifetimes of devotion from designers that are talented, knowledgable and experienced.

The big difference being that the pricing of their products bears a much closer relationship to the materials and manufacturing costs than Devialets.

Because they look like they have been hand made in a garden shed. ;)

Would you pay £99 for these?

xavondale-audio004.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IzquncBcGC.jpg

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Yes, but why should pricing and materials/manufacturing costs be intrinsically linked? If products from Avondale, NVA, Tube Audio Labs etc. are the result of lifetimes of devotion from designers that are talented, then surely the value of their input has to drive the recommended retail price? If they aren't pricing that value added in to their products then they do not have a plausible business model.

I own and manage a pretty successful Architects practice in London, and I will charge as much as the market is prepared to pay for our "product". That is how the world of service and retail works, not by selling at break even.

Devialet are not only at the forefront of technological advancement in this hobby, they are also a savvy business that knows where it wants to be in the market and how to get there. Good luck to 'em I say.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Do they tend to be kept on high shelves, then? Presumably it's pronounced DVLA?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip, there's no actual reason why price and materials and manufacturing costs should be linked.

However, we as customers have a choice. We can either put our business with companies with pricing that bears no resemblance to the materials and manufacturing costs. Or we can buy from companies where the pricing is much more closely linked to the costs to make it.

And I'm not suggesting that Avondale et al sell at break even. They don't. They sell at a reasonable mark-up. Devialet, on the other hand are taking the Mick.

I know where I would rather put my money. And I know where I'd recommend other people spend their money too.

Quite frankly I think that Devialet don't deserve to stay in business. Exhorbitant prices for so so products. Time will tell if their business is successful in the long term...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Quite frankly I think that Devialet don't deserve to stay in business. Exhorbitant prices for so so products. Time will tell if their business is successful in the long term...

Why would you want their business to fail? If customers are prepared to pay what they are asking, then that's their choice. I think you are unfairly picking on the top of the range Devialet 'statement' amplifier they have just released. The other components are probaby more reasonable in price, but yes they are still expensive in the scheme of things. However when you look at the quality of the engineering, the build quality, manufacturing processes, design, aesthetics, software, technology, upgradeability etc. they are on a different planet compared to the products of the companies you have mentioned. My analogy of your comparison is one of a cottage industry kit-kar maker with a luxury car manufacturer. Most people with the necessary disposable income would rather have the latter.

jjbomber

lindsayt said:
However, we as customers have a choice. We can either put our business with companies with pricing that bears no resemblance to the materials and manufacturing costs. Or we can buy from companies where the pricing is much more closely linked to the costs to make it.

Apple? Officially the biggest waste of money in the World but they sell in vast quantities.

TRENDING THREADS