Tannoy Signature Revolution DC4T compared to B&W 684

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

Im hoping that some one who has listened to both of the above can give me the benefit of some their experience.

Have recently had a demo with the B&W 684 (683 too big). While overall I suppose it was OK, there was no real WOW factor. While I realise that £700 is'nt a massive amount for a speaker (relatively speaking), I was probably expecting a bit more

I'm not sure if there is a technical term for this but at lower volumes they sounded muffled. The volume at which it started to sound good was really TOO loud. Also, again I'm not technical, there were some aspects of the sound in the high end that they seemed to cut short/struggle with/understate.

Have been looking at the Tannoy DC4T (a bit more expensive but still within overall budget at a push) but I can't get a demo locally. From a style point of view these would probably first on the list. Has anyone heard these? if so how do they compare with the 684 as a point of reference? Can I expect better detail at lower volumes. What does it do well? What drawbacks do they have?

Will ultimately be using the fronts I choose as the basis of a 5.1 system from the same manufacturer. I'm thinking that if I get stereo speakers sorted first then everything else should fall into place... hopefully!.... but music is important!

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

The tannoys are more detailed than the b&w's for sure but lack bass compare to the 684's. If you are looking for detail and good bass mind you i would recommend that you have a listen to the rega r5's. Spank both the 684's and tannoys musically IMO. An you can also get the full 5.1 set and still be in the same price range as the b&w's. Only thing is, they aint that pretty.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gander!

They do look a bit... less pretty. Not sure that they would fit in with our decor!

Would the DC6T be much of an improvement over the DC4T's?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
The DC4Ts don't have groundshaking bass, as you'd expect from a smaller cabinet, but it is still tight well controlled and very pleasing on the ear. The DC6Ts are a larger cabinet and have a proportionate increase in depth of bass. If you have the room and the extra cash, go for it! But I can't imagine you being anything but delighted with the DC4Ts.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion. but they both look and sound great.... what's not to like!Good luck in your decision!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mike!

Do they both still sound good at sensible volumes?

matthewpiano

I would back-up Gander's suggestion for the Regas. They are very musical speakers indeed.

I'd also suggest looking at Monitor Audio RS6s. MAs are very well balanced with good treble sparkle and strong bass performance.

Finally, what about the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6?

I think any of these, or the Tannoys, would comfortably out perform the B&Ws. I'm not a fan of the 600 range, having heard both the 685 and 684. Unless drive at fairly loud levels they don't really start to sing and mono-tonal bass seems to be an issue across the range.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoys should be more pleasing at sensible levels than the 684s. I have a pair of DC4s in my study, and they are magic at even fairly low levels. I live in a semi-detached so can never crank speakers up to full volume (I probably could as my neighbour is deaf.... but don't want to push it!)

I'd be interested in hearing what you are going to partner the speakers with? I'm not aware of any electronics that the Rev sigs do not go well with.... but that's due to my lack of knowledge as opposed to them being perfect for all kit. I can say from experience that they're certainly great with ARCAM!

A

Anonymous

Really appreciate the input everyone. Many Many thanks.

With regard to the electronics I'm kind of starting from scratch at this level. It will be nothing too flashy though. If I go for the tannoys (as the basis to a 5.1) then these will eat into my budget so will have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I was inclined to forget the theatre side of things and just focus on the stereo. I was looking at the marantz SA/CD/PM 6002/7003. However a dealer suggested that I don't need to get a separate stereo amp (if I went the 5.1 route straight away) as an AV reciever would be adequate? I originally understood that an AV reciever was relatively poor with stereo? AV wise was looking at Denon 2809 or Yam DSP-AX863SE.

Would any of the above be a poor choice with the Tannoys?

I've had problems finding a tannoy dealer in my area. However, tannoy have kindly offered to send some demo samples to a choice of local dealers (hows that for service?). Will hopefully get the oppotunity to listen with various kit.

Thanks once again for your help!

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Once you have demo'd the equipment.... have a nose on ebay, as most of the Revolution Signature range are being offered as discounted 'b-stock'. Not sure what this really means.... but you could save a good few hundred at least on speakers that are 'as new'

Regarding hifi / home cinema. So long as you are aware that you are likely to be making a compomise in terms of hifi sound if you go the AV receiver for stereo route you should be able to make an informed decision. Personally, I'd go the hifi route. The Marantz kit should be a great match for the Tannoys.

Perhaps hold off until january? I don't know if the january sales will sweep hifi prices down, but if you're on a budget it might be worth seeing what happens over the next few weeks?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts