Tannoy F1 Custom vs Acoustic Energy Evo Ones?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I have mentioned several times before my intention to buy the BR2's but unfortunately after purchasing the NAD amp and buying my brother some speakers, the BR2's are out of my price range and so I wondered whether you thought the Tannoy's would bring the kind of dynamism, deep bass and attack to hard rock that my Evo's lack?

If so it sure would save some money :) or would they sound out of place with the NAD C352?

matthewpiano

I think they are better than the BR2s. A small box like the F1s isn't going to give you cavernous amounts of deep bass, but what is there is full bodied and well controlled. The F1s are a very musical, dynamic little speaker and would suit your amp extremely well IMO. My Dad has a pair and I'm always amazed at how good they sound.

I used to have the MAs and found them a bit flat and lacking in dynamism.

A

Anonymous

Really? thanks matthew you say it's not going to give mass amounts of deep bass but how does the bass compare to the BR2's?

A

Anonymous

Both the Tannoy's and the AE's are great speakers. I'm not sure though that the F1 will give you more bass or dynamics than the Evo One. I've not compared them directly.

But the F1 is surely more natural than the BR2. It has a delightful voicing and is very coherent. But is it a rocker? I wouldn't know.

A

Anonymous

That's the problem, the AE' are very smooth and coherent but as you mentioned previously they don't sound very dynamic and lack in attack.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The F1's arent rockers :(

My borther has them partnered with his NAD C325 amp and C315 CDP and theyre great, very natural and a good soundstage but theyre size limits their bass extension.

My brother has now gone for the M/A BR2's and they have made a world of difference! Much better bass response (but thats going to be obvious as theyre bigger), a much smoother and more detailed midrange and lovely treble.

IMO i still think you'd be best taking a look on eBay re some B&W 601 S2/S3 standmount speakers or see if you can get some M/A BR2 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dan, I definitely did hear some B&W's on the same day I heard the BR2 but can't remember if they were the 602's (about the 250.00 mark), either way I guess I should audition some more B&W's but the ones I heard sounded far too restrained and the guy from sound and vision said something along the lines of the B&W's are more suited to classical music.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
B&W's along with Classical Music... Thats a first!

Was it sound and vision near bolton you went to or is there a different one?

The B&W 601 S2's/S3's are superb little speakers and give alot of bang for their buck so to speak. The 602's are the bigger speakers and can be bough from eBay (like the 601's) for less then £180 and they do have alot of clout and they sound bloody good as well.

If youre after a similar sound and punch to the M/A BR2's then id look at the B&W 601s on eBay but if you want a bigger and more powerful sound then the B&W 602 S2's/S3's would be my choice.

A

Anonymous

Haha well this was the sound and vision in Shrewsbury, we are not all from up North
emotion-2.gif
I have noted down your thoughts though cheers mate :)

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about brands from other countries? For instance, Paradigm speakers are very dynamic and have lots of bass (too much, actually), and if you measure their sound only by dynamics, soundstage and bass, they offer a very good value. I prefer British speakers, but when it comes to rock I think a Paradigm Monitor can give you a powerfull performance at a low price.

JM labs are also very dynamic.

A

Anonymous

To be honest I have never heard of the ones you have mentioned. The reason for that is that I usually go off what is mentioned in the what hi fi magazine and then try and listen to the components wherever possible.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

Haha well this was the sound and vision in Shrewsbury, we are not all from up North
emotion-2.gif
I have noted down your thoughts though cheers mate :)

No worries; just ive been to the one near Bolton and they werent the smartest of people!

I dont think many of them are into hifi or TVs, surround sound etc... Just 'sales people' out for the commission...

Let us know how you get on :)

A

Anonymous

The same is true here, this guy agreed to sell my mate the BR2's for 150.00, I bet his manager was annoyed when he found out lol. I am hoping to sell my previous amp on the "other forum" that will raise a bit of needed cash
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Get the amp on eBay as well... It'll sell better on there than on the 'other forum' to which i have no deleted my account...

Didnt like it at all. a bunch of pretentious a**es

A

Anonymous

Ah that is why I couldn't find your thread on there was going to message you to find out how the selling of your amp and cd player was going lol.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Kept being offered stupid amounts...

Someone offered me £250 for my RS6 speakers as someone had sold theirs the other day at that price as they were desperate top get rid of them, and they werent in the best of condition.

Mine are mint, as new literally, bought in Feb this year so not going to let them go for peanuts!

A

Anonymous

You could always keep them if the RS6's impress like the BR2's then no reason to sell, particularly for a crappy price

A

Anonymous

Yeah I just noticed the speakers on Ebay let us know where you are thinking about going next with your hi fi purchases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts