Old Acoustic Energy speakers?

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently looking at upgrading my home cinema/living room set up. Due to travel and financial restrictions I am looking at second hand and only close by. However, unfortunately there is very little currently available in my area.

One of the set ups I have the possibility of purchasing is an approximately 12 year old Acoustic Energy 3 series set up, with Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 mains.
I have been struggling to find and decent reviews for these online or any information at all really. It would be £140 for the centre and front speakers (would need to find the rears). Does this sound like a good deal? What are they like?

Another option I have is a Q acoustics 2000 series set up. These are well reviewed but cheaper comparitively (when comparing original RRPs). Is it better to go for old when looking for best value for money? My living room amp is a Denon AVR-2310

Cheers for any help!

You are correct about the lack of reviews in an official sense although there is one website where user reviews only occur that gives them 5 out of 5 from all 9 reviewers.

Caution is the watchword here. There is nothing inherrently wrong with buying 12 year old speakers but I'd add one caveat, that is you must be able to see and hear them. Check them over physically especially rubber surrounds / binding posts etc and give them a good listen at fairly high volume levels.

The newer Q Acoustics speakers may give you a bit more confidence when it comes to buying but those AE's are a lot of speaker for not a lot of money and finding something to act as surrounds shold not be difficult.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Do you know much about the speakers themselves? I have a habit of not trusting speakers I cant find reviews for. Unfortunately the person has offered to deliver them if I want them, which makes viewing before purchase difficult, but I guess I could always decline, just feels a bit rude when they have travelled.

The Ebay ad had claimed that they were over 2000 new.

Michael

I have never heard these but all indications would show these are very good indeed for the money

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/acoustic-energy/aegis-three/prd_123839_1594crx.aspx

From what I recall he may have overpriced them from new, possibly not, but I thought mind were about £1100 and centre around £250.

Whatever if he is prepared to bring them to you then you can inspect them surely? Also you should be able to hook them up temporarily to you system to see if all the transducers are OK. To my mind he is unlikely to bring them to you if they are duffers.

Personally I think that if they work and are in reasonable cosmetic condition them you appear to have found a bargain and looking at eBay it shouldn't be too difficult to find some Aegis 1's for surrounds and even a Aegis subwoofer should you so desire.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Originally £1400, I bought the 5.1 set for £600. Current value equivalent new (estimating) £500ish?

They were award winners (I think best 5.1 up to £1500) and IMO good all round speakers.

I sold my 5.1 mint for £250. I think the price is a little high since u have no rears nor sub but would certainly need to be mint

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
So would you have an idea of a price which would be a good price to offer in response? Disregard delivery - I will add that to the price myself.

Thanks again for any help!

It would appear whoever bought Robin's 5.1 setup got a bargain.

Considering they are asking, and getting I believe, anything from £80-120 for the front pair alone on eBay then £149 with centre speaker does not seem excessive if in very good condition.

I'd hazzard a guess that you will not find much better for that sort of money.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, will send them a message re acoustic energy speakers although I might still bid on the q acoustics as it looks like its going to be a good deal and I have owned the 1010is and really liked them. Can always sell them if I prefer the Acoustic Energy speakers.

Michael

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I must admit when I replied I wept slightly to think I sold them so cheaply. On the other hand I got nearly 50% aftee about 4yrs and knowing carriage charges they are not easy to move. My buyer travelled 100miles to collect. I recon Alears is probably right. Rears are easy to get and need not match. A decent sub also. Certainly if in good condition they are very decent speakers. I dont think my £2000 replacements made a huge difference - subtle and noticeable but not huge. The AE sub was never a keeper. Adequate but not powerful/solid.

I would spend that amount (in retrospect) for a good set of Evos.

stu31

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thats a good price, I bought mine new 8 years back for £699 and have upgraded most of my kit a few times since but have never considered changing my speakers.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, think I'll give them a go, but before I tell them I want them, I was just wondering why the ones pictured in the ad look different to all the other speakers on ebay I've seen labelled with the same name? Why is it on all the others Ive seen there is a black tweeter and two white cones below, whereas in the ones in the ad pictured its a black tweeter, white mid, and black woofer where the woofer is slightly wider than the cabinet? Is it just because the one in the ad is older than the others people are talking about? Does that make the price higher than it should be?

stu31

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Michaelholder1 said:
Okay, think I'll give them a go, but before I tell them I want them, I was just wondering why the ones pictured in the ad look different to all the other speakers on ebay I've seen labelled with the same name? Why is it on all the others Ive seen there is a black tweeter and two white cones below, whereas in the ones in the ad pictured its a black tweeter, white mid, and black woofer where the woofer is slightly wider than the cabinet? Is it just because the one in the ad is older than the others people are talking about? Does that make the price higher than it should be?

black tweeter and 2 white cones is correct

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michael,

What you're describing sounds like the original Aegis models, not the Evo versions. Differences weren't huge between them though, aside from tidied styling the audio upgrades were minor rather than major, they'll still be very good speakers.

100000399_1_.jpg

Cheers,

Jim.

AEJim said:
Hi Michael,

What you're describing sounds like the original Aegis models, not the Evo versions. Differences weren't huge between them though, aside from tidied styling the audio upgrades were minor rather than major, they'll still be very good speakers.

Cheers,

Jim.

Well done Jim. I was about to point that out. If the speakers on eBay look like the ones you have posted then they are NOT Evo 3's and have, therefore, been incorrectly described if they have been listed as such.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes thats the one they have, I was thinking they had advertised it wrong but wasnt sure if it was an older model with the same name or a newer model with the same name. Like an S1, or S2 version.

So considering that, should I be offering a different price?

TRENDING THREADS