Tannoy DC6T & NAD C356BEE

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I’m an absolute newbie to hifi (to illustrate the point: I had to learn what banana connectors are) and I decided to order a pair of Tannoy DC6T speakers and a NAD C356BEE amp. I’m awaiting delivery, but in the meantime I am curious to hear any opinions (harsh or not) on the choice made. Maybe someone has experience with this combination.

I was unfortunately not in a position to audition the speakers with this amplifier. I figured that the fairly neutral Tannoys could benefit from the NAD’s warmth.

Cheers, Rob

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Another small question about impedance.

The NAD provides continuous output power into 8 Ω and 4 Ω (Stereo). The Tannoys have a nominal impedance of 8 Ω.

I E-mailed NAD whether this would be ok. They said, that the NAD is stable at 4 Ω and as long the Tannoys don't have a minimal impedance lower dan 4 Ω I should be fine. Aha... Ok. So I E-mailed Tannoy and asked whether their speakers go below 4 Ω minimal impedance and I got the following response:

"You'll still hear sound being emitted by the speakers at less than 4ohms, however, this is likely to damage your setup so we would recommend that you run the amplifier output at 8 ohms if possible."

Ok; that isn't really an answer to what I asked. But then I start to wonder how this works with amplifiers. Does the NAD have a switch or something to select the power output into 8 Ω or 4 Ω? Or does the amplifier just adjust automatically?

Should I even be concerned about this at all? The answers I receive just confuse me further.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Broner said:
Hi everybody,

I’m an absolute newbie to hifi (to illustrate the point: I had to learn what banana connectors are) and I decided to order a pair of Tannoy DC6T speakers and a NAD C356BEE amp. I’m awaiting delivery, but in the meantime I am curious to hear any opinions (harsh or not) on the choice made. Maybe someone has experience with this combination.

I was unfortunately not in a position to audition the speakers with this amplifier. I figured that the fairly neutral Tannoys could benefit from the NAD’s warmth.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob,

That's actually not the best thing if you do not listen the speakers before purchase. Speakers are the main part of a set-up which can influence the sound. They have very different temper. I have not auditioned these Tannoys. Maybe somebody else will comment. I can share my experience - some of them are sweet (like Dali Zensors) some punchy like mine B&Ws. Others have neutral and analitical character (let's say "real hifi" :) ). Still many people buy without auditioning and are amazed about their setup and are happy to know what hifi is. On the other hand some try a lot of speakers/ setups and are not quite happy.

So I am just saying that if you have some clear understanding what hifi is, your dreams may not come true when you bring home the amp and the speakers. But if you take it easy, and if you never had hifi, I hope you will be happy with it. I hope so much.

I don't think this my post is very helpful, just thoughts.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Broner said:
Another small question about impedance.

The NAD provides continuous output power into 8 Ω and 4 Ω (Stereo). The Tannoys have a nominal impedance of 8 Ω.

I E-mailed NAD whether this would be ok. They said, that the NAD is stable at 4 Ω and as long the Tannoys don't have a minimal impedance lower dan 4 Ω I should be fine. Aha... Ok. So I E-mailed Tannoy and asked whether their speakers go below 4 Ω minimal impedance and I got the following response:

"You'll still hear sound being emitted by the speakers at less than 4ohms, however, this is likely to damage your setup so we would recommend that you run the amplifier output at 8 ohms if possible."

Ok; that isn't really an answer to what I asked. But then I start to wonder how this works with amplifiers. Does the NAD have a switch or something to select the power output into 8 Ω or 4 Ω? Or does the amplifier just adjust automatically?

Should I even be concerned about this at all? The answers I receive just confuse me further.

I have this NAD. On the rear pannel there's a caution: minimum speaker impendance - one pare 4 Ω, two pairs 8 Ω. NAD will control these Tannoys with ease.

Cheers.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

It is a bit of a gamble, but if it doesn’t work out, I’ll just sell one of the components and try another. I am actually pretty confident that it will work out and I didn’t select these components on a whim, but there are no guarantees.

Thanks for the info on the NAD. I thought it would be ok, and after a bit of browsing on the web, I found that modern amplifiers automatically switch between 4 and 8 ohm.

As a hifi newbie it is sometimes just difficult to know whether you have covered your blind spot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts