Disappointing first hifi experience!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd keep your Arcam gear and partner it with Arcam Muso speakers and Arcam Logo sub or alternatively some Kef R100 speakers with a Rel T5 Sub, or if you go higher up the Kef R speaker range (if funds allow but you shouldn't then need a sub). Arcam often use Kef speakers when exhibitioning their amps at trade shows I have heard.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I think your room is just too big for the A19. Try borrowing a more powerfull amp and see how it goes. Try the creek destiny 2 or arcam a38 and see how it goes with them. I'd say it will definately improve things.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
The room acoustics has the biggest impact on the bass. Changing amps is not going to bring significant differences to the bass. A larger speaker will but I don't see that the problem lies with the Tannoy which I think is capable enough to produce decent enough bass in his room size. While a bigger room generally has lesser bass with the same pair of speakers, that may not always be the case either. Previously I was unfortunate enough to have a room that had bass cancellation issues. I suspect that the dimensions of that room was just such that it was bass light no matter how I experimented with speaker positioning. That same system was subsequently relocated to a much bigger room and the bass was far weightier in that room.

From the front wall, try positioning the speakers at 1/4 or 1/8 the length of the room. Even numbers are supposed to reinforce bass while odd numbers eg. 1/3, 1/5 is supposed to reduce bass.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't change the amp. The amp is fine. The speakers... Well, move them, rotate them, turn them upside down, but in the end ... You can improve the bass if it's there. If it's not, it's not.

PP could give you a good pice of advice regarding the speakers.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I think most of these comments are well wide of the mark.

The OP has spent a four figure sum with a dealer who clearly did not listen to him, produced a sound that was unimpressive.

Why the OP actually bought the system I do not know but it is clearly not what he wanted or what he expected. What the OP needs is guidance as to what he can and can not expect for his money and help in putting a setup together that actually addresses his requirements.

This is best done with a dealer who will listen to you, demonstrate what can and can not be done, explain the futility of trying to get decent sound out of old cassettes and address all the rest of the issues the OP has. Do not take the dealers word on how highly rated the product he wants to sell you is, get him to prove what he says by demonstration.

As for this thread, just recommending that he swap one bit of gear for another, quite possibly equally as unsatisfactory, is not the way to go.

Go and get your money back....!

This is exactly the way to go, you need to find a good reputable dealer who will listen to your needs and give you advise based on those needs.

as for yourself you should have in mind what you want from a system and dedicate a specific overall budget to get to the best possible system.

dont rely on other peoples opinions as these may differ from what you expect, listen to the system in your own enviroment and in my opinion do it slowly, theres no rush and adding piece by piece gives you the opportunity of hearing the differences each individual unit makes to your system.

good luck

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi muziclover,

I just reread your OP. You have so far received good advice IMO, especially the suggestion to move your speakers around a bit and see what happens. One thing I'm missing so far: where is your listening seat? If it is in a 'null' (a room mode that cancels out bass), you won't have any bass, whichever speakers-amplifier combo you use. Move the seat and listen for changes in bass output. Usually, a position close to the back wall enforces the bass. Give it a try! It might be good value for money... ;)

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
muziclover said:
3. I also have a huge cassette collection and some vinyls. I am planning to buy a cassette player and turntable. I have decided about the Project debut carbon for the turntable. The only two cassette decks available now in UK are the Teac AD-800 CD+Cassette player (£239, Amazon) and Teac W-890 R double cassette deck (£248 in Amazon). Would these decks go with this system?

I wouldn't buy a new cassette deck if I was you, there are some great quality second hand ones available for very little money.

I've just bought a Nakamichi CD2 for a little over £40 off ebay. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a good cassette deck.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Certainly try the Kef R series (R300 I'd assume for your budget) if it's more bass you're after. The bass they deliver is very fullsome, far more than I expected. To put it into perspective, my R100's deliver far more powerful bass than the Epos Epic 2's I used to own, the latter of which are about twice the cabinet size! The R300's will add significantly more again.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Could you swap the Tannoys for pair of Focals? (Richer Sounds only carry the 700 Series - which isn't as insighltful as the Aria 900 Range but still very good). With current Arcam being much tighter and better controlled than the frankly abysmal days of the Alpha 7/8/9 stuff, the Focals should make a great match.

Shame it was bought from Richer Sounds (not because of the staff or anything like that, but rather they - like other chain stores - only carry 'mainstream' brands).

I'm a fan of PROPER Tannoys, but the whole compact DC series really cheapens the original Dual Concentric design too far.

The W890 is a good solid deck, and with the exception of their semi-pro Tascam units, it has virtually no real rivals.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
HI muziclover. I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with that system. Did the dealer you not visit not stock the Audiolab CD player? If you can, i'd perhaps suggest auditioning the Audiolab in place of the Arcam. In our experience, the CD17 isn't the most exciting or clearest-sounding player in its class. Also, i don't think there's any need to go down the subwoofer route - the Tannoys should be able to create enough bass in the room you've got.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts