Second hand amp for Tannoy DC6T SE

simono

Sep 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

have a pair of second hand Tannoy DC6T SE arriving soon having done a audition at Richer Sounds earlier this year. Thought they sounded so much more controlled and engaging than the Ikon's, MA's and standard DC6T that I heard, however at the audition they were paired with the Arcam FMJ A19. At home they will be driven by my aged but well loved Arcam Alpha 3. Ultimately I know i'll need to upgrade it but funds are tight so wondered what would a good second hand bargain that would not just be a short term solution. Perhaps even allow bi-amping later on.

Music tastes are varied from Orbital & Portishead through 80's stuff such as Police, Kate Bush and Cure to early Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson. Listening room is 5 x 4 m.

Was keeping an eye out for a used Roksan Kandy K1 Mkiii or Caspian Mk1, or an Arcam A85 as these often seem pretty good value and have heard they work well with the Tannoys.

Can anyone recommend between these or am I missing anything ... perhaps Audiolab or Naim maybe? Obviously will try to test first but appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi mate if arcam work well with those speakers you could try and find an ex demo arcam a18 maybe on the bay .its still a recent model and pretty good sound facility build quality....or you could get a brand new Yamaha as 500 for well under 300

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
RS still have some clearance A18s although now likely to be ex demo or returns:

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/ARCA-A18-BLK/Arcam+A18+Blk.html

simono

Sep 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe Arcam is a good match but then again I have never not had an Arcam amp - wondered if I'm perhaps missing out on anything.

How does a A18 stack up against a K1 Mkiii would you say. Not to fussed on features just want the best audio bang for the buck.

simono

Sep 16, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough just read in the q2050i amp thread that the Roksan amps can sound harsh and forthright which I'm not necessarily after. Perhaps I should be looking as other candidates?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts