Amp advice - Second Hand Kef iQ5SE Floor standers

RyePie

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I’ve recently picked up a pair of second hand Kef iQ5SE floor standers. They are in mint condition and I’ve been informed they have spent most of their life boxed in storage, their condition testament to this. I remember drooling over these speakers when they were first introduced 5/6 years ago, but as a penniless student they were at the time, out of reach! Well now I have a pair, so all I need now is an amplifier to compliment them...

Having done some online research, I've shortlisted 3 VERY different integrated amps, for very different reasons, they are as follows…

Clones Audio 25i (circa £550) - Hoping this minimal hand built Gains Clone amp will get me somewhere near to 'Hifi' quality sound without breaking the bank.

Arcam FMJ A19 (£650) - Simply based on the solid reviews and potential upgrade path.

NAD D3020 - Based on the plethora of inputs and classic NAD sound.

My heart tells me to go for the Clones Audio, mainly as I am certainly willing the trade any extra features if the sound is radically superior when compared with the other two amps. Will the Arcam better suit my speakers and will the extra power be an advantage. Or is the sound though the Kef iQ5’s going to so marginal across all three amps, in which case I should go for the connective convenience of the NAD?

Please help, all opinions welcome!

Welcome to the forum. That's an interesting question and I wonder how you came about these three choices.

I can see where you are going regards the Clones Audio but I doubt you will find anyone on this forum that has heard one especially with your speakers.

Much, I would say, is going to depend on what you intend to use as a source. You have to make sure the amp you choose is going to cater for all your current and future requirements if you don't want to go about spending more money for extra boxes at a later date.

I guess practicallity and popularity suggests you head for the Arcam (as suggested by CnoEvil ), at least you should be able to audition this mainstream amp somewhere (which is unlikely when it comes to the Clones). I think the NAD is an acquired taste (although I have no idea how it sounds with KEF speakers).

RyePie

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
The Quad Vena seems a very good suggestion. I've just read the glowing reviews on Hifi choice and this looks to be a amp that would very much suit my requirements. I'm guessing from various comment and forum threads that it's quite difficult to hear one of these before you buy, limited stock at most distributers?

Ps. My primary source will be HQ digital audio files and streaming spotify.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not aware of any lack of stock with the Vena - we've had one on demo from the day it was available, which was about a month ago now. Maybe some dealers just don't want to stock it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts