Tacima CS929 x 2. Can I connect one to the other?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've recently changed my music source - now using a pc. I need an extra socket. Currently I have a full Tacima and I've just ordered another one. My wall socket only provides two plugs. My plan was to have my LCD plugged into the wall and then one Tacima into the other socket. I hoped that I could then plug the second tacima into the first and plug four components into each?

A

Anonymous

Not advised to do this. Keep one tacima for your hi-fi and the other for your home cinema.

I tried this and I got a lot of interference on my TV.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Garland Genoho:
Not advised to do this. Keep one tacima for your hi-fi and the other for your home cinema.

I tried this and I got a lot of interference on my TV.

Ok, thanks.

What about the use of a good old double plug? I could connect my tv and one of the tacima blocks into the one wall plug using a double??

A

Anonymous

Are you concerned about daisy-chaining the extension blocks together affecting audio-/visual quality or as a safety/fire hazard?

If the former, then I guess you'll get lots of people who've believe they've perceived effect x by having components y and z on the same block. Up to you how much credence you give those, but given you own two Tacimas why not try for yourself?

Given you could decide for yourself about any qualitative impact I assume you're asking for safety reasons. Electricians have always advised not to daisy-chain extension blocks, but this is mainly because they can't know what devices you're going to be plugging in - i.e. whether you're going to exceed the current rating of the extension blocks potentially the flug fuses.

Related discussion here...http://www.theiet.org/forums/Forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=8347

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rob_manchester:
Are you concerned about daisy-chaining the extension blocks together affecting audio-/visual quality or as a safety/fire hazard?

If the former, then I guess you'll get lots of people who've believe they've perceived effect x by having components y and z on the same block. Up to you how much credence you give those, but given you own two Tacimas why not try for yourself?

Given you could decide for yourself about any qualitative impact I assume you're asking for safety reasons. Electricians have always advised not to daisy-chain extension blocks, but this is mainly because they can't know what devices you're going to be plugging in - i.e. whether you're going to exceed the current rating of the extension blocks potentially the flug fuses.

Related discussion here...http://www.theiet.org/forums/Forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=8347

Thanks Rob. Yes, obviously I want there to be no effect to the PQ and SQ I've got but safety comes first. I've just seen this at Maplin and wondered if I used this and connected my LCD using one of the sockets and one of my Tacimas with one of the other sockets, would this negate the benefit of the Tacima?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31304

A

Anonymous

Putting PQ/SQ to one side as I've no firm opinions on whether mains cables make a difference, I have one of those Tacima blocks for part of my hifi (wanted an extension block that was black!) and the socket spacing isn't huge. I wouldn't be surprised if using that 3-way adapter made the socket next to it inaccessible. One of my plugs is a chunky square one and it renders the next socket inaccessible.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rob_manchester:Putting PQ/SQ to one side as I've no firm opinions on whether mains cables make a difference, I have one of those Tacima blocks for part of my hifi (wanted an extension block that was black!) and the socket spacing isn't huge. I wouldn't be surprised if using that 3-way adapter made the socket next to it inaccessible. One of my plugs is a chunky square one and it renders the next socket inaccessible.

Thanks. But do the two way or three way adapters allow the same amount of juice for each plug that goes into it? My plan now is to get a plain two adaptor for one wall plug and have my LCD and a tacima 6-way plugged into it. The other Tacima will be plugged into the other wall socket. I will then have my AV equipment plugged into one Tacima and the stereo stuff into the other one.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Rob_manchester:Putting PQ/SQ to one side as I've no firm opinions on whether mains cables make a difference, I have one of those Tacima blocks for part of my hifi (wanted an extension block that was black!) and the socket spacing isn't huge. I wouldn't be surprised if using that 3-way adapter made the socket next to it inaccessible. One of my plugs is a chunky square one and it renders the next socket inaccessible.

Thanks. But do the two way or three way adapters allow the same amount of juice for each plug that goes into it? My plan now is to get a plain two adaptor for one wall plug and have my LCD and a tacima 6-way plugged into it. The other Tacima will be plugged into the other wall socket. I will then have my AV equipment plugged into one Tacima and the stereo stuff into the other one.

Can anyone else give me a definitive answer please? Double plug 13 amp - would there be a problem connecting a Tacima CS929 and my LCD on the same plug?

A

Anonymous

That maplins block, it get one of those but one without surge protection feature, as it may effect the performance of the 2nd tacima. Plug the tacima into it, and the plug for your lcd, then run the tacima to where all your plugs are and your away. Dont plug 2nd tacima into a socket on the first one your asking for trouble. Just get a two way cube...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
reggaedave:That maplins block, it get one of those but one without surge protection feature, as it may effect the performance of the 2nd tacima. Plug the tacima into it, and the plug for your lcd, then run the tacima to where all your plugs are and your away. Dont plug 2nd tacima into a socket on the first one your asking for trouble. Just get a two way cube...

cheers Dave. That's exactly what I'm planning. I ordered a 2-way plug today.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:Rob_manchester:Putting PQ/SQ to one side as I've no firm opinions on whether mains cables make a difference, I have one of those Tacima blocks for part of my hifi (wanted an extension block that was black!) and the socket spacing isn't huge. I wouldn't be surprised if using that 3-way adapter made the socket next to it inaccessible. One of my plugs is a chunky square one and it renders the next socket inaccessible.
Thanks. But do the two way or three way adapters allow the same amount of juice for each plug that goes into it? My plan now is to get a plain two adaptor for one wall plug and have my LCD and a tacima 6-way plugged into it. The other Tacima will be plugged into the other wall socket. I will then have my AV equipment plugged into one Tacima and the stereo stuff into the other one. Can anyone else give me a definitive answer please? Double plug 13 amp - would there be a problem connecting a Tacima CS929 and my LCD on the same plug?

The maximum load for each individual wall socket is 13 amps, so a double socket accomodates 2 plugs each of 13 amps, total 26 amps. The maximum amount of what you can plug into each socket is determined by the fuse in the plug of whatever you plug into it, probably your Tacima, which is 13 amps. Looking at your kit list, the total load is likely to be less than 13 amps if everything was plugged into the one socket via extension blocks, the only item capable of using any real juice being your amplifier. For safety's sake, you can check the total load of what you propose to run off each extension block/socket by looking at the rating plate near the point where the mains cable enters each piece of equipment - add all the "watts" figures together, and divide by 240 (volts). If the answer is less than 13 (amps), you're okay. In theory, it's electrically safe (although not recommended) to daisy-chain as many extension blocks together as you like, provided the total load through all of them does not exceed 13 amps.

The surge protector fitted in that Maplin device is virtually identical to the one already fitted in your Tacima - it offers no additional electrical benefit from a protection viewpoint.

TRENDING THREADS