T amp but what speakers?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Crikey... Not been on here for a while!
smiley-surprised.gif
smiley-wink.gif

How are folk doing?

I'm building/setting up my home office and turning it into bit of a den / man-cave so I can watch my films on iTunes & Netflix in peace without the wife either a) constantly asking me what's going on and/or b) falling asleep next to me haha
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Got our old sofa in the office so that's comfirt sorted. Just need to suss out the sound now!!!

I'm just going to go for a 2.0 system along with a HDMI monitor such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monitor-Backlight/dp/B005QVZ79C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3DTRR9QJAYDDQ&coliid=IGOBLO7OO4L5E

which will be connected to an ATV3 streaming iTunes and Netflix et al

Quite fancy one of these small t amps. 2 that have been recommended are:

Lepai: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B007VMA6OU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3DTRR9QJAYDDQ&coliid=I2DZI144Z6A5OO

and

Topping: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320854194277?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Obviously both are small in stature & power but I'm not after cinema level sounds here; just a nice level whilst watching films (and probably some music in there too)! The office / den is small (around 2.5m square) so levels will be lowinh and as we're in a semi detatched; reasonable levels too!

I dont want to spend much on speakers; £50-£100 ideally and very happy with 2nd hand

Any suggestions from those that have done similar or know more about these T amps than I do?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd advise going for the topping if you can stretch the extra, as the lepai's build quality isn't up to much.

Much more than that make sure the speakers are sensitive, ideally 88db and above, preferably 90db.

Other than that, they are great amps :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys :)

Was thinking of maybe some older B&W 601 S2's or AE100's or even the likes of some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or MA BR1's or 2's (if I can find some)

Would they suffice?

This will be fairly close-field listeing levels so enough to hear whats going on but not enough to deafen etc...

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
With regards to the T-Amp, I would go for a UK sourced one, or at least one sold in the UK rather than an import, as you will have extra added for Import Duty and VAT on top.

There are plenty of people selling Topping models in the UK, or the Amptastic ones are good too. I have had both the Amptastic TA2020 and currently a Toping TP-20 (IIRC) TA2020 based one as well. The Bantam Classic is probably worth the extra for the UK Warranty.

There is a difference between the different Tripath chips used, TA2020, TA2021, TA2024 etc etc so make sure you are getting the one you want.

With speakers, I would look at the Rega R1 or Kytes/Alyas which are on budget, would certainly take them over the Wharfedales.

earthian

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello:

I am new to this forum and i hope some one would help me out. I have a Denoin AV 3313 connected to 5.1 paradigm "monitor 7" speakers. the Denon is also connected to a projector, a blu ray player, cd player and cable tv.

I like to play the drums ( not electronic, but the old fashioned wooden) while listening to music streaming from an I Pod through Air Play to Denon. The problem is i would also like to listen to the music through ( simultaneously) a pair of headphones, possibly wireless.

how do i go about it?

Thank you.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
For the kitchen I have just purchased a Topping TP20-MK2 and some q acoustics q2010i refurbs for about £150 all in. Ill add some cheap copper speaker cable and report back.

Purchased some fostex pm.04's before but sent them back as they sounded rubbish (i'm not very good a describing sound!)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
For the kitchen I have just purchased a Topping TP20-MK2 and some q acoustics q2010i refurbs for about £150 all in. Ill add some cheap copper speaker cable and report back. Purchased some fostex pm.04's before but sent them back as they sounded rubbish (i'm not very good a describing sound!)

That's all thats needed!!! :)

You've got some of my all time fave speakers in your sig system as well; biggest regret I have was selling my Motive 2's!!!

Re the Topping/Q Acoustic combo; very interested to hear your review as it's close to what I'm considering

I'm looking at some 1010i's though as they seem to sell for peanuts on eBay. Be great if I could get sorted with the T Amp and speakers for under £100! Already got my trusty FiiO D3 DAC ready to go with the rest of the system!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi Dan

What you running as the main system these days?

Howdy stranger!

Living room (well in boxes and in the loft due to decorating) - Cyrus 8DAC + PSX-R / KEF LS50's - music via iTunes/MBP & ATV3 - Telliurium Q blue cable

Dining room: Cyrus 6VS2 - B&W 685's - Airport Express via Firestone Audio Spitfire DAC - Chord cables

Kitchen - NAD C320BEE / ATV2 via FiiO D3 DAC

Den/Office: Planning as above haha
smiley-wink.gif

All music is now via my iTunes and MacBook Pro. The wife still whinges about not having anywhere to put her bloomin CD's on but hey ho; it is 2013!!! :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
Living room (well in boxes and in the loft due to decorating) - Cyrus 8DAC + PSX-R / KEF LS50's - music via iTunes/MBP & ATV3 - Telliurium Q blue cable

I like the look of that.....I would say Cyrus + LS50s would work very well. I also rate TQ Blue.

matthewpiano

Some nice kit there Dan. :)

I'm afraid I can't help much with T amps (although I've always been intrigued), but I'd definitely say the Q Acoustics 1010i are a good call for the speakers. Might also be worth seeking out some Lektor 1s but I think they'll cost you a bit more.

I'm still wedded to CDs and vinyl but I am looking at options for streaming some of my music. I did rip quite a bit to FLAC using EAC a few months ago, but it is a long and slow process!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
d_a_n1979 said:

I like the look of that.....I would say Cyrus + LS50s would work very well. I also rate TQ Blue.

It's great cable and hides away well too! Just seemed to gel much better with the 8DAC and KEF's tha it did with the Cyrus/B&W system in the dining room!

The 8DAC/PSX-R combo with the LS50's is astounding! The guy from Practical Hifi in town (sorry, Sevenoaks) came round to have a listen as their demo room is shocking and he brought a Nsim XS2 amp, HEED Obelisk integrated and a Roksan Caspian integrated and none of them could match the Cyrus's agility and depth of sound with the LS50's in our living room
smiley-cool.gif

Made me a very happy boy lol

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Some nice kit there Dan. :)

I'm afraid I can't help much with T amps (although I've always been intrigued), but I'd definitely say the Q Acoustics 1010i are a good call for the speakers. Might also be worth seeking out some Lektor 1s but I think they'll cost you a bit more.

I'm still wedded to CDs and vinyl but I am looking at options for streaming some of my music. I did rip quite a bit to FLAC using EAC a few months ago, but it is a long and slow process!

Yeah; like the look of the little Q's MP. Seem to get good reviews still and for less than £40 as most of them sell for, its pennies!!!

Vinyl I've nevr got into but CD's I dont miss at all; having the iPad Mini or MBP as my remote is brilliant
smiley-cool.gif

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
letsavit2 said:
For the kitchen I have just purchased a Topping TP20-MK2 and some q acoustics q2010i refurbs for about £150 all in. Ill add some cheap copper speaker cable and report back. Purchased some fostex pm.04's before but sent them back as they sounded rubbish (i'm not very good a describing sound!)

That's all thats needed!!! :)

You've got some of my all time fave speakers in your sig system as well; biggest regret I have was selling my Motive 2's!!!

Re the Topping/Q Acoustic combo; very interested to hear your review as it's close to what I'm considering

I'm looking at some 1010i's though as they seem to sell for peanuts on eBay. Be great if I could get sorted with the T Amp and speakers for under £100! Already got my trusty FiiO D3 DAC ready to go with the rest of the system!

yea gone through 3 sets of speakers with my naim kit and the motive's are now here to stay!

should have the stuff by the weekend, i have a marantz - MA speaker combo in the office so if im not happy with sound i can test the t amp and Q speakers separately with other 5 star budget stuff.

ill update my sig and report back...

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a Mini-T from Amptastic, it did a really good job on a pair of B&W 602s but struggled a little with a less efficient pair of smaller Missions, I think you really need to be looking at 90db which the B&Ws are.

The Q-Acoustic speakers in my experience respond well to power so I’d be cautious with a low powered amp.

These amps can also sound a little sibilant and fatiguing at the top end so perhaps go for a speaker with that in mind.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I have a Mini-T from Amptastic, it did a really good job on a pair of B&W 602s but struggled a little with a less efficient pair of smaller Missions, I think you really need to be looking at 90db which the B&Ws are.

The Q-Acoustic speakers in my experience respond well to power so I’d be cautious with a low powered amp.

These amps can also sound a little sibilant and fatiguing at the top end so perhaps go for a speaker with that in mind.

it will be in the kitchen so more for background music the room also will have rubbish acoustics, we will see.

Just measured the sideboard the speakers will be sitting on and i can just fit a full amp in there, bett i end up with another marantz amp just for the kitchen because im a hifi snob.....!!!

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Right the q2010i's have arrived so I hooked them up to my my marantz amp and cd. Now I like the MA's but think the amp is worthy of better so the little q2010i's where on the back foot before I started. I have always had a soft spot for marantz amps and everyone I have owned could run speakers 4times there price. I have not of yet hooked the amp up to my motives but will one day.

Anyway the amp is no power house but playing rudimetal it over powers the the little q2010i at 11 o,clock. At say 10.30 they are good speakers are not far from the MA,s at all. So on that basis from what I have read the little t amp(when it arrives) should be perfect. They are perfect in size for my kitchen and look pretty good and for £100 they are so much better than the £175 fostex actives I tried before

ill update.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Cheese boy

I was responding to bluedroog,s comment on the q2010i needing more power than the t-amp.

thus far I thing the low powered t map will be perfect for them, I will see?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts