Set-up advice appreciated for a CD Listener.

Andy_A

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Gents,

Some advice/opinions appreciated please. Sadly, my ability to listen music in front of a stack of carefully selected separates vanished around 18 years ago (I got married :roll: ). My set-up since then has been a NAD C520 CD Player, a headphone amp & a pair of Sennheiser HD270 headphones (see separate post about these). I've never liked the set-up but at the time struggled to find a decent stand-alone CD player with a headphone socket and volume control. I now need to replace them and would like to know what's currently on the market which would be suitable for my somewhat limited needs, which are essentially just to play CDs. I'm thinking maybe something like this would suit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-Melody-Media-Network-Receiver/dp/B004S1281G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=10BP6TUAF991O&coliid=I2XTTG2EC0SWKS

but don't need all the digital paraphernalia which comes with it.

Budget..?? Well, under £400 for the player would be nice, £500 total with the headphones :grin:

Any thoughts out there..??

Many thank-yous 8)

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The Marantz is an ideal unit for your needs. With a simple aerial you can also get dab or FM radio as well.
Also later you could add some speakers.
I purchased one when I got back into HiFi and used it with some Monitor Audio speakers you will surprised at how good the sound quality is. When I purchased mine it was £500 plus the speakers.
For headphones look at the headphone forum on this site I use some Audio Technical phones which cost about £160 which are very good.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The same unit, but cheaper HERE. You may be able to shop around for a better deal.

That leaves £200 for the headphones. :)

Cheap standalone CD players seem scarce today, so you are better off buying something that has multiple functions and the Marantz seems generally well received.

Another option would be to buy a DVD or Blu Ray player and get use out of the video playback function as well.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How about a Little Dot CDP-1 and a matching Little Dot DAC-2, that will give you a nice cd & headphone set up (I can't see your other post regarding your current headphone amp & headphones)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts