System upgrade - Full investment into Speakers or divide between speakers & pre-amp + amp

MrNo

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have decided to upgrade my system, which consists of the following:
  • Front Speakers: DM601 S3 B&W
  • Central + Back Speakers: LCR60 S3 B&W, DM603 S3 B&W
  • Subwoofer ASW 600 B&W (Sorrento light oak vinyl)
  • CD Player: Denon DCD - 710AE CD Player
  • AV Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR 708
I want better, more detailed and refined sound from my CD's, which mostly consist of rock, lounge and vocal jazz, also a few classical.

I have a budget of about 10'000CHF (~7000 Pounds) in total.

I would like stylish front speakers like Vincent LS 310, or more expensive triangle genese lyrr. Of course open to any other suggestions.

I am really not sure about how to divide the budget: I can either
  • Just buy two new front speakers and upgrade the rest of the surround with matching speakers (subwoofer is invisible so it can stay), or
  • I can cut back from speakers and invest into maybe a better cd player connected to pre-amp + amp + power amp or an integrated amp.I have been told that the sound quality increases big time using these compared to an AV receiver.
So in short, are the amps worth the money or is it better to use the money to buy better speakers? And any suggestions on good looking speakers in this price range?

Your opinions / suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

I've got $3000 amp running a $1000 speaker, and I think i made the right decision.

If your amp isn't powerful enough, the speakers won't perform the way they should.

MrNo

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MoData. do you believe that Amp is absolutely make a big difference vs the receiver? And do you have any suggestions as to a an integrated amp vs pre+power combination?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi MrNo,

With that sort of budget, I would be looking at some high end gear such as Bryston,, Sugden, or ATC.

Do you have the opportunity to demo at home, or in store?

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130 speakers.

manicm

You say you want better CD sound. So I would not throw the baby out of the bathtub yet. Don't blow your total budget, look first at replacing your Denon, and if still not happy then your receiver. Audition first. Your speakers might have more mileage in them than you think, even with new components.

A

Anonymous

First of all, I think AV receiver tend to use class D design, which is usually not preferred by people listen to stereo music.

Furthermore, the Onkyo is a THX which is optimized for theatrical sound.

If you are very into Stereo and music, I think you ought to consider a separate 2 channel system which is optimized for that purpose. You will be amazed what they can do.

A

Anonymous

MoData:
I've got $3000 amp running a $1000 speaker, and I think i made the right decision.

If your amp isn't powerful enough, the speakers won't perform the way they should.
And I have a 900? amp running 3000? speakers. Afraid there's no hard and fast rule here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts