System mismatch?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I dont't think my system is matched very well. All components are on the bright side and female vocals are sibelant with too much sssss... and stringed instruments such as steel strung guitar can be rather piercing.
I've read that B&W speakers go well with Rotel amps and Dali speakers with Marantz amps so I need to either change the CA/Rotel combi or the Lektors which I'm actually very pleased with,apart from the brightish delivery.
I need to be careful with bass in the room though and find front ported of sealed speakers best.
I know tone controls would be the simplist solution but have always preferred source direct.

Listening room is 12'x12' soft furnished bedroom.Speakers are a good 18" from back and side walls. Most styles of music... MOTR,rock,country,classical,jazz.
Any help appreciated.

CA Azur 640C / Rotel RA01 / Dali Lektor 2 / Chord Chrimson Plus / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Atacama Nexus 6 / Target Hifi stand.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Matthew

I'm considering both the CD6004 and PM6004 together as it's a popular combi and match visually .I think this would be a more straight forward swap than trying different speakers which I've been through before and not successfully.

I do like the CA Azur 640C with it ultra clear sound but this with the Rotel is too bright with the Dali Lektors. Reviews of the Marantz combi suggest it's versatile which is what I'm after.

Before changing any gear I'd just want to be sure you've tried all the set-up possibilities.

Have you tried sitting off-axis, with speakers either firing down the room or crossing well in front of you? Does every recording give the undesired ffect, or are some OK and other dreadful?

Is everything set up well, connections all clean and tight? CDP not sitting on top of amp, or with wireless router on top? You get the idea.

Normally bedrooms sound duller as you say, due to all the absorbant furnishings. Does drawing curtains or opening the door make any difference?

That said, if you can trial the kit mp suggests without too much difficulty that will at least help you eliminate item by item.

I would suggest trying a different CDP. Recently I dem'd Rega Apollo. Excellent in many respects and should match really well with the Rotel. Alternatively, something like Nad or Arcam would also balance the sound.

Latching onto Nopiano's suggestion what is your room acoustics like? If you have a reflective room (hard flooring, wicker chairs, no curtains) this will exaggerate any brightness.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Does every recording give the undesired ffect, or are some OK and other dreadful?

Some recordings I think 'wow this sounds awesome, the system's a keeper' and other times it's 'ouch this is hurting my ears, it's got to go'.

I'll experiment with different speaker positions and have done so before but the current position which is quite wide and angled in slightly is best for soundstage and instrument placement.

All components are on seperate shelves and not stacked on one another.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
It is not surprising as almost every component in your system tends to be upfront sounding. You will see the biggest results in changing your amp in this case, I suspect. Try a NAD.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I also own the Lektor 2's and use a CA player. Can you swap in a different source? If you still have sibilance then it is most likely the amp which is the problem. I found the Lektor's sounded really good with my Denon amp. Denon have some new amps out/coming out. Otherwise I would try the NAD C326BEE.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm now trying an old Arcam Delta 90.2 70w per ch amp with a Technics PL-PG400A CD player and the sibilence has reduced slightly. The Technics is no match for the CA 640C though.

Also removing the Atacama gel pads from the speaker stands has helped a little. Speakers are now a fraction lower. Have considered the NAD 326BEE for a warmer sound for the Lektors but if the bass is anymore than the Rotel it may be too much.

I don't know if just replacing the amp or CD player would tame the treble enough as I'd still have 2 other forward sounding components in the system. I have a budget of around £600 for an upgrade and am considering the Marantz PM6004/CD 6004 combi. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't sort it.

Either that or prehaps a less bright pair of speakers like Wharfedale.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I use to have the same bright problem. I changed all my cables to chord & got the Audio lad M-dac. system resting on quadraspire stand. Now my system sounds relaxed fuller & very musical.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Looks a cracking piece of kit and within my budget.
I guess I would use this with my current cd player and amp.
Do you use a cd player as your source?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes i got rega planet. In this case the very first rega cd player. The only very expensive part of my system is the speakers. Sonus faber Cremona's. Amp SR6003. Again when u buy let your ears do the work, i mean regardless of price!!( even cheap Hifi) Only use reviews as a guide. You see, you may not like the sound every Hifi reviewer likes.

I got into that trap many a times, then decided to use my ears. Now am enjoying my music the way i like it. Full musical sound.

Try chord chameleon sliver plus interconnects & chord Carnival Sliver srceen for speaker cables.

All the best

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have bought Roksan Kandy K2 amp & CD player from Richer. Fantastic full sound with all styles of music and that's with my Lektor 2's. Treble is smooth and can now turn it up without it hurting my ears.

Thanks for the help.

Roksan Kandy K2 amp / Roksan Kandy K2 CD player / Dali Lektor 2 / Chord Chrimson Plus / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Atacama Nexus 6 / Target Hifi stand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts