Marantz PM/CD6004 & Dali Mentor Menuet advice

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I'm considering this system as an upgrade on my current one.
There's a good deal going on the Marantz PM6004/CD 6004 and Dali Mentor Menuet which I think is a well matched system.
My setup at the mo is rather bright and I haven't matched the components very well so I'm thinking of a complete swap/upgrade.
It's a bedroom (12'x 12')system,soft furnished and speakers in corners around 18" from back and side walls.
I listen to most styles - Rock,country,light folk,MOTR,Pop,Classical,Jazz and like nice rich,clear vocals with no annoying sibilance.
Due to the speaker placement there is a slight problem with a little too much bass and
find I need to bring speakers out into the room to reduce it.
With the Mentors I think they would be more suited although the Lektors are not known for being bass heavy. Would the Mentors be less so being a smaller driver and cabinet?

On the other hand I could maybe just get the Marantz pair and use the Lektors and see how that goes. I would like though to spend a bit more on speakers than I have been is which around the £250 mark.

I'd welcome any views or info from Dali Mentor Menuet owners or Marantz PM/CD6004 users.
Thanks
Dan

CA Azur 640C / Rotel RA01 / Dali Lektor 2 / Chord Chrimson Plus / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Atacama Nexus 6 / Target Hifi stand.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Mmm... prehaps not many people have these speakers. Looking on the net it seems speakers like Spendor,PMC,ATC are more popular in this price range. Might be down to the small size of the Mentors.

Maybe difficult demoing anyway as I don't think any of my local dealers stock them (Cambridge).

A

Anonymous

My 6004 combo cd/amp drive a pair of Tannoy Mercury v4's and I really like the set up. Not too bassy near the wall and crisp from top to bottom of the range. Worth listening to if you get the chance. My 2p worth.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi is your Marantz PM/CD 6004 versatile? Can it rock as well mellow out?
Any views welcome as i'm considering this setup for my Dali lektor 2s.
Thanks

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have gone for the Roksan combo. Sounds great through the Lektors and the annoying brightness has dissapeared :grin:

Roksan Kandy K2 amp / Roksan Kandy K2 Cd player / Dali Lektor 2 / Chord Chrimson Plus / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Atacama Nexus 6 / Target Hifi stand.

A

Anonymous

Hi, took the same route yesterday, bought the Menuet,together with the Kandy combo. The menuets are still on their way,but got the demo unit from the store while I wait for the new ones.

Tried the Lektor 1 and 2, both sounded well, but seem too bright for my liking.

Enjoy.

Ps: not happy with the K2 fiddly volume knob though.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
That's great. I'd be interested to know how the Mentors sound with the K2 combo once they've settled in. That's 200W a channel with the 4 Ohm Mentors if I'm not mistaken.

I'm impressed with how good the Lektor 2's sound with the Roksan's. Nice deep bass and on occasions a tad to much depending on the recording but have fitted foam bass traps to control the slight boom. Lower mids are now clearer and not muddy.

I may upgrade to the Mentors as they would be well suited to my room where the speakers have to be in the corners. I don't think many stores locally (Cambridge) stock them though so may be tricky to demo them.

Enjoy you're new system and yes, what is going on there with the volume dial? As well as being difficult to grip it's also loose and rattley whereas the amp itself is built like a tank.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. WHF review on those Tannoys says they can boom a little near a back wall so great that they're working for you. I suspect that they're not placed in corners, that's why I have a problem with too much bass hence the idea of the Menuets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts