system change

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I currently have an Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 (carried over from full surround system) paired with Quad 22L2.

Speakers are to be retained as I like them very much but I'm looking to replace Arcam with Amp/CDP.

I find the current sound a bit dull, lacking in energy, attack, too woolly, lacking in detail and generally uninvolving. I also have to turn the amp up to 75% max volume to get me interested!

I listen to most music genre's bar jazz.... pop, classics, folky/accoustic stuff, some dancy stuff. I do not require ear splitting levels of noise but want to be able to sit back and listen at normal levels while occasionally rotating the volume know clockwise. Basically wanting a good all-rounder.

Budget is about £800 max. Happy to go new or s/hand.

Room size is 5.5 x 4.5m. High ceilings, painted walls, large bay window with wooden blinds, fireplace at one end with alcoves either side, stripped wood floor (insulated underneath) with a large rug in centre, large leather sofa and armchair. So generally a little accoustically challenged!

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Hi Jamie

You could do a lot worse than the new Marantz pairing of PM6004 and CD6004. You should have some change which you could use for some good speaker cables and interconects.

I've not heard them, but the previous model was cracking and the new ones have good initial reviews and a great pedigree. To get noticeably better you might consider the Rega Brio-R (£500), or something more like your total budget just for the amp - the Marantz is that good.

Secondhand is way too unpredictable to advise, though see what your nearest dealers have, as there are sometimes some good bargains, and you might px your Arcam.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks nopiano,

I was considering spending more on amp and was considering Marantz pm7400/8400 or Pearl Lite. Also the Roksan Kandy K2 as that seems to be much favoured, but open to ideas. I guess Riga/Roksan is the price point I'm looking at, so will need to budget more for CDP but think something around cd6004 level will give decent performance.

Will be looking to listen to a few amps fairly soon.

I've got an PM 6010ki that I will be selling as well as the arcam.

I loved to KI when I had it running a fair few years back through some Kef floorstanders.

Regarding cables, I recently purchased Chord Carnival Silver Screen and these will used in system.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The Rega is terrific for the money. You might also want to consider the Nait5i, though that blows your budget for the CD player - what is wrong with your current one, by the way? Unless it's broken I'd still use it.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't find the Arcam to have much "get up and go". Seems a bit lazy and lacklustre although that could equally be me, speakers, positioning, room accoustics etc etc...

However, I have Linn Komponent speakers and hooked them up to both the Arcam and my Marantz PM6010KI last year to them last year and the old marantz sounded so much more energetic, more powerful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts