System Advice

BillyE

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I've been without a decent system for a couple of years now but now have a good budget (say upto £5000) to spend on a system. I am not sure what to spend my money on - would I be better served by a traditional CD/amp combo or a streaming system. I have lots of CDs and don't really download stuff, so I would be ripping and streaming CDs if I did it that way. I know I want smallish bookshelf speakers I can use close to the wall. In the past I had some Naim kit, but found the sound a bit too "in your face" after a while - I would like something a little more laid back, I think. I like Jazz and Female vocals. Any advice, and suggestions on pieces of kit I should listen to - would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For the smallish bookshelf speakers:

- Guru Junior (or QM10two): designed from the ground up for use close to the wall

- sealed speakers like the ATC SCM7 (or 11) are also easier to use this way.

- and a left field suggestion: the Anthony Gallo Strada 2: can even be wall mounted if you like; a little bass light though (certainly when compared to the Gurus).

Do you have access to any of these for demo?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Also designed for use close to walls are the Neat Iotas.

But any sealed box or front-ported speakers should work. I think the Sonus faber Venere 1.5 or 2.0 could be perfect for you as you like a laid-back sound. I have a pair of the Venere 1.5s which sound excellent on a bookshelf.

Matt

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If i was to start again and with streaming in my mind i would look for a all in one system, like Linn Majik and a Linn power amp, or a Naim Super Uniti.

speakers at your choice! :grin:

BillyE

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I auditioned the Roksan Kandy K2 cd and amp yesterday. I found the sound a bit too forward and possibly more suited to 'heavier' music. I'm after a system with a more intimate sound. Any suggestions about what electronics I should listen to next would be great.

rainsoothe

hi

try Sugden or Simaudio Moon amps. Sugden (class A) don't have streaming products, but it sounds gorgeous methinks. Simaudio's CD player (Neo 260D i think it's called) has a DAC option, and they also have a streamer that's got some good reviews i think. You could try auditioning the Neo 250i amp (class A/AB) - haven't heard the Neo, which is newer, but i heard the old 340i and i think it also sounds pretty damn good (it almost has the 3d representation of the sugden, but it was a bit faster and smoother).

Ofc, if you want an all-in-one system that's easy to use and sounds great (imo), you should also audition a Naim Unity 2. My mom uses one with Piega speakers, and it sounds great, although it doesn't have the 3d-ness of class A amplification. But defo you should audition naim as well.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Ofc, if you want an all-in-one system that's easy to use and sounds great (imo), you should also audition a Naim Unity 2. My mom uses one with Piega speakers, and it sounds great, although it doesn't have the 3d-ness of class A amplification. But defo you should audition naim as well.

Or maybe not...

OP said:
In the past I had some Naim kit, but found the sound a bit too "in your face" after a while - I would like something a little more laid back, I think.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BillyE said:
I auditioned the Roksan Kandy K2 cd and amp yesterday. I found the sound a bit too forward and possibly more suited to 'heavier' music. I'm after a system with a more intimate sound. Any suggestions about what electronics I should listen to next would be great.

I already did, but if that doesn't appeal, Sugden is a good shout; also Croft, Pathos and Electrocompaniet.

rainsoothe

DocG said:
rainsoothe said:

Or maybe not...

OP said:
In the past I had some Naim kit, but found the sound a bit too "in your face" after a while - I would like something a little more laid back, I think.

Or maybe yes. Keywords: "in the past"

Which means different sound. Also, Naims sound different from one another. XS2 for example is so different from the SN2 that some naimites prefer the XS2 to the SN2.

Another important factor is speaker matching, which matters a great deal. The dealer sold the Unity 2 to my mom paired with Focal Electra 1008BE standmounts, and she too found the sound too forward. Then, the dealer replaced them with Piega floorstanders, and everything is smooth and silky now. Auditioning it won't hurt :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If it were my money, I'd go for:

AVI DM5 speakers

Apple Airport Express

iPad Air/mini of suitable capacity for your music collection plus room for expansion

optional iTunes Match service

Why? Exceptional clarity and an attractive, user friendly interface maintaining a compact footprint (read, tidy). You would also have access to the multitude of free streaming services as a bonus. The system would also be comfortably under budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts