Suspended wooden floors and speakers

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Would like some advice about isolation of speakers that are used on suspended wooden floors. My hi fi speakers (Dali Royal Towers) are floor standers that have spike feet. These go straight onto my susended floor, is it worth trying isolate them further with granite slabs or squash balls etc. Now my AV speakers (MA 270's fronts, 90's on stands rears and RSW12 sub) are on the same floor type but the books say to use the suppiled rubber feet not spikes, but I think this is for solid hard floors. So the same question applies is it better to remain with the rubber feet or go with spikes and use squash balls / granite etc?

Appreciate any advice

Ta

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
my own opinion is that you will get the best sound by not coupling the speakers to the floor. is the floor carpeted? if it is, i would try some granite on top of carpet and stand spikes on top of that. ime, spikes into a suspended floor = boomy bass.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Craig

The floor isn't carpeted, its covered in this strange wood effect hard vinyl planking. So for all intents and purposes consider it straight onto the suspened wood floor boards. So for my hi fi speakers that are spiked onto the floor you think a granite board between them and the floor. What would you put between the board and the floor? Spikes or something like half squash balls?

Do you think my av speakers require more islotation, the rubber feet they have aren't all that big,

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i think i would try a sheet of sorbothane or similar, or squash balls, and slate (if you can find some) would be better then granite. some people report better results spiking into the floor, so it might be worth trying some magazines or a phonebook underneath first. in my house, keeping spikes off the floorboards works best, although we have some horrid laminate at the moment, so the underlay keeps the speakers isolated from the floor. i'd use the rubber feet on your av speakers, unless they are giving you problems, in which case the same solution as your hifi speakers if it works.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
I'll give that a go then Craig. So you think slate can give better results than granite do you? Never heard of using slate before but I'll see if I can get hold of some flooring tiles and give it a go. Cheers for the advice.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
im toying with 4 bricks and a kitchen floor tile to sit it up a touch and then make a nice wooden border round the bricks.

A

Anonymous

I am wondering, most of the topic that I have join toda, the people involve always talking about the floor and speaker.

Why? Does the speaker really have an effect to the floor?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Subseastu

I agree with Craig M ie. That it is better to isolate, than to couple your speakers, when on a suspended wooden floor.

Having the same problem myself, I've done a fair bit of experimenting. In my case, all the bass seemed to dissappear down into the 5 foot space under the floor.

You can use Auralex Grammas or thick Granite (2-3 inches thick).

I personally use a combination of both - I have the Auralex sitting on 2 Argos Granite "worktop savers", with a home made wooden border that keeps the whole thing stable.

The Auralex was better than the Granite, but not as good as using both. The Auralex uses firm acoustic foam, so if used under tall speakers, needs stabilized with a wooden surround (it's fine for the sub).

If your budget is limited, use Granite/Slate/Paving Stones under everything and make home made spike shoes (punch an indentation in a small coin, and stick a "floor-saver pad on the other side).

If you can afford one Auralex, put under the sub.

Doing all this made a very substantial difference. The other gain I achieved, was from an after- market mains cable on the sub (which is worth trying with one that you can return).

Experimentation is the key...also do a search on here, as there is useful info to be had.

Regards

Cno

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi Subseastu I agree with Craig M ie. That it is better to isolate, than to couple your speakers, when on a suspended wooden floor. Having the same problem myself, I've done a fair bit of experimenting. In my case, all the bass seemed to dissappear down into the 5 foot space under the floor. You can use Auralex Grammas or thick Granite (2-3 inches thick). I personally use a combination of both - I have the Auralex sitting on 2 Argos Granite "worktop savers", with a home made wooden border that keeps the whole thing stable. The Auralex was better than the Granite, but not as good as using both. The Auralex uses firm acoustic foam, so if used under tall speakers, needs stabilized with a wooden surround (it's fine for the sub). If your budget is limited, use Granite/Slate/Paving Stones under everything and make home made spike shoes (punch an indentation in a small coin, and stick a "floor-saver pad on the other side). If you can afford one Auralex, put under the sub. Doing all this made a very substantial difference. The other gain I achieved, was from an after- market mains cable on the sub (which is worth trying with one that you can return). Experimentation is the key...also do a search on here, as there is useful info to be had. Regards Cno

Can I ask what difference you got from the mains cable with the sub?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi Subseastu I agree with Craig M ie. That it is better to isolate, than to couple your speakers, when on a suspended wooden floor. Having the same problem myself, I've done a fair bit of experimenting. In my case, all the bass seemed to dissappear down into the 5 foot space under the floor. You can use Auralex Grammas or thick Granite (2-3 inches thick). I personally use a combination of both - I have the Auralex sitting on 2 Argos Granite "worktop savers", with a home made wooden border that keeps the whole thing stable. The Auralex was better than the Granite, but not as good as using both. The Auralex uses firm acoustic foam, so if used under tall speakers, needs stabilized with a wooden surround (it's fine for the sub). If your budget is limited, use Granite/Slate/Paving Stones under everything and make home made spike shoes (punch an indentation in a small coin, and stick a "floor-saver pad on the other side). If you can afford one Auralex, put under the sub. Doing all this made a very substantial difference. The other gain I achieved, was from an after- market mains cable on the sub (which is worth trying with one that you can return). Experimentation is the key...also do a search on here, as there is useful info to be had. Regards Cno

Hi Soopafly,

I put a Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha+ on my sub, which (imo) made the bass tighter, punchier and more tuneful.

I suggest you give it a go in such a way that it can be returned, if you're not convinced.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Soopafly49 said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi Soopafly,

I put a Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha+ on my sub, which (imo) made the bass tighter, punchier and more tuneful.

I suggest you give it a go in such a way that it can be returned, if you're not convinced.
Think I will try that...I'm also wondering if using one of these on my amp will improve tightness for the front L+R floorstanders aswell?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Think I will try that...I'm also wondering if using one of these on my amp will improve tightness for the front L+R floorstanders aswell?

I found that anything with an amp in it had a good benefit.....though I got a remarkable difference in the Sky Box (used a Furutech F 8 ).

My findings were that amps benefited from slightly dearer ones; and sources from cheaper ones (except the Linn DS which didn't benefit).

My advice is to get some at a range of prices from the likes of Clearer Audio, and then spend a month experimenting as to what gives the best improvement where. You can send back what you don't want, or order the ones that suit best.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Will do. Also going to try doing what you did with the grammas to my subdudes aswell.

If you are putting them under your speakers, just remember it will raise them up by 85mm, in case that effects the treble.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Soopafly49 said:
Why 8.5 cm granite isnt that thick?

If you put the Granite under the Subdudes, it will make a platform 85mm (around 3.5 ins) high (well it did with my Grammas)
I know need to find some graint the same size as the subdudes ir get it cut. maybe use slate?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
I know need to find some graint the same size as the subdudes ir get it cut. maybe use slate?

I'm not familiar with the Subdudes, but the Gramma was the size of 2 Granite worktop savers. I am unfamiliar with Slate, so can't help you with that.

Often a place that does kitchens or fireplaces, will sort an off-cut to the right size, for reasonable money.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Soopafly49 said:

I'm not familiar with the Subdudes, but the Gramma was the size of 2 Granite worktop savers. I am unfamiliar with Slate, so can't help you with that.

Often a place that does kitchens or fireplaces, will sort an off-cut to the right size, for reasonable money.

The subdudes are 15" by 15" maybe b &q will cut it. Did you then just put a wooden border round the whole thing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts