Suspected CM8 Driver damage

Jagli3

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I have one of those robot vacuum cleaners and the little devil managed to somehow knock over one of my CM8 speakers, with as you can imagine a horrendous noise. Very, very fortunately it appears to have not damaged the cabinet but I have now noticed that one of the bass drivers (the top one) is now distorting. Do you think it could be a case of replacing the driver or could it be more simple or complex? Is there a way of testing?

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi,

I have one of those robot vacuum cleaners and the little devil managed to somehow knock over one of my CM8 speakers, with as you can imagine a horrendous noise. Very, very fortunately it appears to have not damaged the cabinet but I have now noticed that one of the bass drivers (the top one) is now distorting. Do you think it could be a case of replacing the driver or could it be more simple or complex? Is there a way of testing?

Might be a dislodged connection on the inside unsrew the drives and check. But it could be many things. The crossover could be damaged, the driver could be damaged and so.

You'll have to take it too a service centre where they can check it over.

Then is it is damaged it may be an insurance jobby or hunt down the parts you need.

Gray

In the unlikely event that anyone needed another reason not to buy a robot vac, you've given it.

Presumably the driver doesn't look damaged from the outside?
One way or another it needs to be removed - so you can see it completely - and inspect the crossover while you're in there. Heavier components are usually cabled-tied onto them, but that shock has dislodged something (more likely on the driver itself).

From the outside you could try pushing gently on the cone.
If there's any scraping, the voice coil might be fouling a ****-eyed magnet. Worst case, new driver.

Edit: l note that 4 asterisks have been auto inserted above, but you can guess the (harmless) word........(FFS) .....Nanny State drives me mad :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
In the unlikely event that anyone needed another reason not to buy a robot vac, you've given it.

Presumably the driver doesn't look damaged from the outside?
One way or another it needs to be removed - so you can see it completely - and inspect the crossover while you're in there. Heavier components are usually cabled-tied onto them, but that shock has dislodged something (more likely on the driver itself).

From the outside you could try pushing gently on the cone.
If there's any scraping, the voice coil might be fouling a ****-eyed magnet. Worst case, new driver.

Edit: l note that 4 asterisks have been auto inserted above, but you can guess the (harmless) word........(FFS) .....Nanny State drives me mad :rolleyes:.
You didn't type 'male hen' did you? :)
I wonder if you can say cocked hat...
Apparently that's permitted

manicm

Take it to dealer for repairs, then claim from insurance if you can. My two nieces once poked their fingers in my tweeters when visiting. That will teach me to leave covers off with kids around.

Jagli3

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all. Yes...those robot vacuum cleaners are a potential menace...it involved an ironing board being in the wrong place at the wrong time as well, so...a real pain! I got the time this weekend to get out the tools and have a poke around, and (by switching them around) managed to confirm that it is indeed the driver that is the problem, and not the crossover...so in a way that is a positive I guess. I disconnected the offending driver for now and will give the insurers a call.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts