AK-699D low cost mini-ampifier

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Encouraged by the reviews of the Lepai amplifier reviews, I searched and found a similar one. I went ahead an purchased a separate amplifier called the AK-699D. A review of the amplifier is found here on You Tube, curiously in Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWqwxKHe3kM Testing - I tested the unit out with a 6" woofer driver I purchased in the 1990s from Radio Shack 'Realistic' - 6 inch, 20-50W maximum, 8 ohms impedance. The sound coming out of the 6 inch sounded somewhat distorted. Could it be that the intervening decades had somehow affected the unit? Next was a 4 inch Pioneer 8 Ohm unit rated at a maximum of 20 Watts. This one sounded much cleaner, so I knew that it was the former woofer that was the problem. How is the sound of the AK-699D? I would describe it as clean, wide open, and a little antiseptic. Bass is not its strong point, as far as I could tell. Now on to the dubious task of finding proper drivers and building and enclosure. Bass from a six inch driver is not really sufficient, however. This time I am going for full sound. The question is, can one hear and identify distortion? If so, the testing and purchase of drivers and building of the cabinet may turn out to be a successful enterprise after all.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Did some testing with larger Sony speakers, to be specific the Sony SS-G333.

I did not dare to play at high volumes given the overheating problems from previous tests.

The music was clear with a bit of high end distortion. Sound was wide and open. Switching on the power resulted in an almighty thump from the speakers, and a subsequent low level hum from the speakers as well as from the amp transformer.

Bass was again was almost non-existent, but at these levels it should be. I could hear the really low lower end bass with the bass control turned up. Apparently smaller PC speaker and portable radio amplifiers boost the bass quite a bit, in my experience, to compensate for lower levels of volume and power.

Await extended testing with custom built speakers and the Radio Shack 40-1011 drivers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sony AK-699D / Teli AK-699D is a fake product. Certanly not made by Sony. I'd say it's equally horrid as the <5W Lepai.

You are seriously risking damaging your speakers. New tweeters cost more than what you saved on amplification. 60W amps can be had second hand for 20-30 euros.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Got a real Sony amp as well with those speaker. I did not test the AK for too long with the Sony speakers - those tweeters are better than titanium it seems.

So here is my set up in use right now.

Sony STR-333, Sony SS-G333. Sony DVD/CD player.

[font="georgia, serif"]http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SS-G333ES.html[/font]
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-333.shtml
80 DB SPL so I must be using less than 1 watt power, anyway the volume control is turned all the way down.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Now that is a good setup. Those speakers are excellent.
thumbs_up.gif

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned tried the AK-699D with those speakers. Sound was OK, higher end was a little distorted, however not wanting to damage those tweeters I stopped testing after a few minutes. The speakers nicely reproduced the almighty start up thump of the AK and the transformer hum. *mail1*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts