Surround sound from TV?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have bought LG HT762TZ to match my LG 37" TV. SPEAKER tests work on set up, and with a DVD but with TV only the R and L front speakers work. Am using HDMI cable and sockets and Optical from TV to Home Cinema - TV is acknowledging the HDMI as an auxiliary, but is there something I need to do to get TV to "talk" to ALL the speakers? Help appreciated. Brian

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The TV's optical output will only deliver stereo, which is why the system is only delivering it through the two speakers.

Set the system to Pro-Logic II, and it will synthesise surround sound from the stereo signal, using all the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Yes that seems the problem -
Also remember that the rear speakers are their for effects like crowd cheering, passing police cars, speeding bullets etc in films and on TV.
The sound wont always be present from the rear speakers even if they are working and switched on correctly (similar to when you hear an alien aircraft seem to land at the rear of a cinema - Yet you cant here the sound at the back through most of the film)
Most TV sounds will come from the fronts.
Hope this helps

Jamie

A

Anonymous

Andrew, Thanks for swift response, never thought I would communicate with THE hi-fi editor of "Gram"...reader since 1952 and onset of LPs!! Remember the Dansette LP player being reviewed!

PRO-LOGIC II I cannot find any reference to Pro-logic II in the LG manual -which is pretty meagre to say the least. I currently am running TV to HDD recorder (Sony) and linked to Sony VCR. Should I disconnect these? Should I use a scart lead from TV to Home cinema receiver, as well as the HDMI already connected? Would a list of connections help you to diagnose the problem? Thanks, Brian

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You enable Pro-Logic II on your home cinema receiver (assuming it supports it), not your TV.

It would help if you actually told us what your kit is. But the HDMI is not from the TV to the receiver, it's the other way around, receiver to TV (at least I'm assuming it is, I've never seen a TV with an HDMI output, could be wrong though).

As for the other connections, it's difficult to help if you don't tell us exactly what connections are going where (ie how is the HDD recorder connected to the TV, does the recorder have a freeview tuner etc etc).

The devil's in the details and usually so is the answer...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply. I run LG 37" TV into Sony HDD...with Freeview in both components.Scart lead to AV on HDD.This is linked to a Sony VCR with Scart + necessary aerial in/ out leads. This works well. Have bought LG cinema 5.1 i linked it with TV via both HDMI and optic connections. Should I take out optical and substitute it with a Scart lead? Should i disconnect the HDD recorder and VCR and just connect the home cinema to TV? i bought LG 5.1 to match the TV with Simplink, but I can't get the 5.1 to work with the TV programmes...just front L + R. All 5 work with DVD films. i notice i am not only person with problems of connectivity -at least 6 on first 2 pages of this site. Hope you like a challenge....Brian

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MyWhatHiFi: Optical only sends stereo from the TV? I'm confused. What happens when BBC broadcast (as they do) in greater sound formats?

I'm not sure they do, at least, not over freeview (this isn't a Freesat equipped TV is it?).

Anyway if they did it would be downmixed I guess.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
If the TV tuner (the bit that recieves the transmission and turns it into picture and sound) is in the TV, generally speaking it will only decode it as stereo sound (2 channels, left/right). If you output that to an A/V Reciever, it can mash that two channel sound together and give you Pro-Logic (essentially using those two channels to synthesise surround). DVD/Blu-Ray have dolby digital 5.1 / True HD (and other HD formats) and these are then decoded (rather than synthesised) by the AV amp and sent to the speakers.

HD TV broadcasts are sometimes, but not always, available in 5.1, just like your DVD.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Brianastell:Thanks for reply. I run LG 37" TV into Sony HDD...with Freeview in both components.Scart lead to AV on HDD.This is linked to a Sony VCR with Scart + necessary aerial in/ out leads. This works well. Have bought LG cinema 5.1 i linked it with TV via both HDMI and optic connections. Should I take out optical and substitute it with a Scart lead? Should i disconnect the HDD recorder and VCR and just connect the home cinema to TV? i bought LG 5.1 to match the TV with Simplink, but I can't get the 5.1 to work with the TV programmes...just front L + R. All 5 work with DVD films. i notice i am not only person with problems of connectivity -at least 6 on first 2 pages of this site. Hope you like a challenge....Brian

I think the problem is that you're looking at it the wrong way round. You seem to be regarding the TV as the source, it isn't, it's the destination.

First things first, I presume you record on the HDD recorder from its internal Freeview tuner? Or are you trying to record on the HDD from the TV?

the LG 5.1 "thing" (model number would be useful), I guess you're connecting the TV optical OUT to an optical IN on the 5.1? The HDMI is carrying video from DVD to the TV, I wouldn't have thought it's involved in carrying audio from the TV to the 5.1.

Either way, you WON'T get 5.1 from the TV out to all the speakers, Freeview doesn't carry 5.1 audio. The best you can do is enable some kind of surround processing on the 5.1 box, either Dolby Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II, depends how old the 5.1 box is. You get 5.1 from DVDs because DVDs have 5.1 soundtracks (99% of the time).

Basically you can't play what isn't there, Freeview is stereo (sometimes carrying a mono surround channel), but it ISN'T 5.1.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ahh, is it "i" for "irritable", per chance?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry to butt in folks! but i have a sony 5 1 surround system and the sound from my rear speakers and front are on at the same level at the same time, is my set up wrong?

A

Anonymous

I raised this topic originally but it has descended into insults about names! Can you actually hear much from rear speakers? I have set this system up - don't know what this Pro-logic thing is -it is not mentioned in the LG manual -which is pretty shoddy anyway. I am disappointed that the rear speakers seem to do very little -even in the 5.1 DVDs I play. On the screen test all are connected and working. on speaker setup there are adjustments for volume and distance. I also run a Sony DVD HDD recorder and a Sony VCR.(see earlier letters)...I wish I had bought Sony home cinema now...ah well, learn the hard way. Brian

A

Anonymous

I have put the list of equipment and connections on the site 05-14-2009. Is this pro-logic on all Home cinema systems? Brian

A

Anonymous

deary me! post rage sorry i did not mean you brian. whoops! ihope iv got the right name!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Brianastell:I have put the list of equipment and connections on the site 05-14-2009. Is this pro-logic on all Home cinema systems? Brian

Brian, Dolby Pro-Logic has been around for getting on for 20 years now, it's been in TVs for well over ten years (I've got 12+ year old Sony 28"CRT with DPL, although the idea of TVs with their own surround speakers has largely died off now, so you don't see it so often these days), has already been superceded by Pro-Logic II, Pro-Logic IIx and now Pro-Logic IIz, and is available on pretty much every surround system that can actually take an external input. It's almost inconceivable that your surround kit can't do it. Almost but I'll see if I can find the manual and check it for you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Brianastell:I raised this topic originally but it has descended into insults about names! Can you actually hear much from rear speakers? I have set this system up - don't know what this Pro-logic thing is -it is not mentioned in the LG manual -which is pretty shoddy anyway.

Yes it is, I've just downloaded the manual, Dolby Pro-Logic II is mentioned several times.

I am disappointed that the rear speakers seem to do very little -even in the 5.1 DVDs I play. On the screen test all are connected and working. on speaker setup there are adjustments for volume and distance.

Have you actually adjusted the distances and volumes? And are you selecting the 5.1 soundtrack on the DVDs you're watching (should be it's the default on most DVDs). What DVDs are you watching?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
tinytots: Sorry to butt in folks! but i have a sony 5 1 surround system and the sound from my rear speakers and front are on at the same level at the same time, is my set up wrong?

Kind of depends what you actually mean, are you saying you're getting exactly the same sound out of ALL the speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts