Surround sound for bedroom...

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently replaced my TV in the front room, which means my old TV (Pioneer PDP436XDE) is going to be moved into the bedroom. The TV never had the speaker purchased for it, as it has always been used with surround sound, so I was thinking of getting a surround sound for the bedroom.

The question is, do I...

Purchase an all in one surround sound like for example Sony HTIS100

or

Purchase a cheaper amp and speaker set like the Onkyo SR506 with Jamo A102, which would give me better scope to upgrade.

Advice/ideas would be appreciated.

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
No thats fine and so are the speakers, the budget for this is around £400.

Oh and forgot to mention, the wife said it cant be a big amp/ugly...... :eek:)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It's only for the bedroom so i would go with your first option, IMHO you don't really need large 5.1 speakers in a bedroom, the compact speakers of the sony will look a lot better.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I use a cheap stereo amp (Marantz) and in-wall speakers in my bedroom setup. I did consider 5.1 but thought it would be overkill and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of hiding cables in a bedroom setup that would only get used now and again. I use it for music more often though. Everything is hidden so suits me fine. I suppose it depends on how often you will use it for full on movie viewing.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
We pondered this some years ago.

We plumped for the basic Yamaha surround amp and a set of their NSP-100 5.1 speakers for the princely sum of £200.
These are combined with a last-generation Sony 21" CRT (still stunning picture), Sony Freeview box and a Toshiba SD-330 DVD.

Result?

Ok for a bedroom but the TV's speakers are far better for vocals than the yammie's. Thin is probably the best description.
In fact for sterio it's not worth using the surround at all as the TV is plenty good enough.
For DVD movies it's very different because the added weight of the sub (and proper surround processing) fills out the sound and presents a more complete soundstage and is perfectly enjoyable.

I'd suggest if you do go for separates audition some KHT 1005's should the budget stretch that far.

The only concern for me is that now we have a 50" in the front-room my dearest has worked out a 37" is the perfect size for the bedroom! Not that I can complain too much of course ........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts