Surface noise on brand new vinyl records, why?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Depending on the label, I have experienced extensive surface noise on many new vinyl releases (and reissues). Mainly in between tracks where it is highly audible, but also in quiet passages of the tracks.

Is the surface noise due to poor vinyl quality (not exactly what I would expect when reading the sales pitch where 180 gram audiophile vinyl often is used), or is the surface noise washable, coming from what ever chemical procedures the vinyl plant use to create the vinyl records. I hope for the latter which would make it possible to wash my records quiet, but what are your experiences?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends what you're talking about. Clicks and pops and general crackles may be washable but if you're talking about the dull 'vinyl roar' in the background then that's going to be endemic to the pressing. Some carts and styli pick it up more than others. I've got some records where between tracks you can hear the faint rumble generated presumably by the cutting-lathe vacuum! Not much can be done about that either.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Poor quality pressings would be my answer. There are some really good re-issue companies, but there are a lot of band wagon jumpers pressing inferior quality records.

MUSIC ON VINYL are good, and they press quite a lot of different stuff

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
John Peel: "Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise."

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Poor quality pressings would be my answer. There are some really good re-issue companies, but there are a lot of band wagon jumpers pressing inferior quality records.

MUSIC ON VINYL are good, and they press quite a lot of different stuff

I just re-read the first post again, and now realise I misunderstood. One can only assume that older recordings are ok? In that case, your opinion seems quite pertinent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts