New vinyl, buying and surface noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
...but someone recently told that new vinyl pressings are of lesser quality than the ones from the past. I.E. the re-pressing for example of the old vinyls. Is that true ?

P.S. I know that old vinyls from 70s for example sound good indeed

stereoman said:
...but someone recently told that new vinyl pressings are of lesser quality than the ones from the past. I.E. the re-pressing for example of the old vinyls. Is that true ?

You are mistaken on three counts. Most new pressings are as good if not better than older ones from the 70's. Quite a lot of early 70's vinyl was thin and poorly pressed due to vinyl shortage / cost. The plural of vinyl is still vinyl. ;-)

stereoman said:

In my collection, things got worse from the mid-to-late 70s in terms of vinyl quality. Thinner records and longer playing times meant the levels became lower and had built in crackles. Vinyl was often recycled rather than virgin. I heard that faulty records were minced up and melted down for reuse - labels and all! The LP of the 60s tended to be much heavier and still have a wonderful shine in bright light. They invariably had stiffer sleeves and polythene lined inners too. Some play silently and give the impression they will in another fifty years!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

You are mistaken on three counts. Most new pressings are as good if not better than older ones from the 70's. Quite a lot of early 70's vinyl was thin and poorly pressed due to vinyl shortage / cost. The plural of vinyl is still vinyl. ;-)

Early 70s were fine, it was more around 76 onwards that they got thin and poor quality. But even then there was a lot of variation, some preferred UK to US pressings etc. Even in early 70s I did take quite a few back mainly for scratches.

BigH said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

Early 70s were fine, it was more around 76 onwards that they got thin and poor quality. But even then there was a lot of variation, some preferred UK to US pressings etc. Even in early 70s I did take quite a few back mainly for scratches.

Yes, I bought quite a few in earliest seventies but the Oil Embargo of 1973 did for vInyl from then until quite a few years later.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Al ears said:
The plural of vinyl is still vinyl. ;-)

i know what you mean, but I don't think there's such a thing as "a vinyl". Vinyl, as we use it, is really an adjective; we miss out the noun which of course is record, or records.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ifor said:
Al ears said:

i know what you mean, but I don't think there's such a thing as "a vinyl". Vinyl, as we use it, is really an adjective; we miss out the noun which of course is record, or records.

I have vinyl on the bathroom floor. Yes you are correct it should be vinyl record/s. What will cds be known as in the future when they become trendy? Silver?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ifor said:
Al ears said:

I have vinyl on the bathroom floor. Yes you are correct it should be vinyl record/s. What will cds be known as in the future when they become trendy? Silver?

BigH said:
ifor said:
Al ears said:

Good question, twice. ;-)

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Cracks and pops and scratches but what about new vinyl being warped? I have no idea of what is acceptable . I ordered Fripp&Eno vinyl from Amazon and it was warped . So i thought i shall get it replaced. So i did and i got new one in pretty much same 'shape'. Worth to mention perhaps it is 200g vinyl which i thought it should be dead flat.

I would like to hear what you think about brand new warped vinyl . Is it ok ish these days? does it play any role not being flat?

I have a short video of it to show , but not sure how i would post it on here.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
robolowski said:
Cracks and pops and scratches but what about new vinyl being warped? I have no idea of what is acceptable . I ordered Fripp&Eno vinyl from Amazon and it was warped . So i thought i shall get it replaced. So i did and i got new one in pretty much same 'shape'. Worth to mention perhaps it is 200g vinyl which i thought it should be dead flat.

I would like to hear what you think about brand new warped vinyl . Is it ok ish these days? does it play any role not being flat?

I'd always return a warped record. There is no excuse if it has been pressed and stored correctly.

A warped record will 'wow' due to the cartridge giving to track uphill and down dale, and may mistrack too. Imagine a rally car 'yumping' over crests, but not quite so dramatic!

Oh no really?! I am gonna have to return that one as well then. I might just look for different source i think . Thanks for good tip , i am still learning.

robolowski said:

I'd always return a warped record. There is no excuse if it has been pressed and stored correctly.

A warped record will 'wow' due to the cartridge having to track uphill and down dale, and may mistrack too. Imagine a rally car 'yumping' over crests, but not quite so dramatic!

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

Thanks. That's reassuring ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts