Super HiFi - disappointing visit....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've just travelled from the City to SHF's Camden shop. What a waste of time. I wanted to take a look at some speakers and cd and amps. The guy who "assisted" me was less knowledgeable than me - and I am new to the game! I am interested in buying the Pioneer PD-D6-J cd player and the A-A6-J amp. He told me that "Pioneer make good tvs but they don't do good hifi equipment"!! I then mentioned that I am interested in the Acoustic Energy Aelite 3s. "Kef are better". I realised then that I was wasting my time. Anyone know of a decent shop to visit in the London/Surrey area?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i used to like a hi-fi mag that visited shops on the off chance to hear a system and report back in the next issue.audiophile i think it was called,they also used to phone in for an appointment with specific gear in mind and many times the salesman would get it wrong for some reason or another but what was good about it is they let the dealer respond as to why they got it wrong or right in many cases,sadly that magazine is no longer with us i believe they upset to many people in the hi-fi industry as well,anyway i believe now most hi-fi mags would call it dealer spotlight where they would put a system together for a magazine to review,nothing wrong in that but to many dealers really do have awful salespeople on their staff and i have great fun pleading ignorance when out trying new gear and being told this is better than that and that is better than this when in fact they havn't a clue as to which is good or bad but you should not give up on superfi you may have just got a new member of staff whose knowledge is not yet honed.i find asking to talk to the manager often helps.sorry i know it's not answering your question but a bada dealer is often the safest port of call and there are many good dealers in london,grahams,bartletts.oranges and lemons and the cornflake shop.in surrey i believe riverside hi-fi are good.they are based in richmond not far from surrey if your from that neck of the woods.of course there are many members here and the what hi-fi team to help you through the maze of gear out there.ps i would have gone with your system choice and then to placate the salesman and have a listen to the kefs.good luck,gregory.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would think that the salesman was right. Pioneer do make good TVs and bright, average hifi gear. I can't think of a Pioneer product that has caught the imagination of the mags since the A400 in about 1990.

Having said that Superfi if closest to a Dixons of all the HiFi shops. I very much doubt whether places like the Cornflake Shop will have anything that you like. I auditioned some speakers there recently and the cheapest pair of speakers they had were £450.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Joel. The Pioneer models that I mentioned have been very highly rated by What HiFi and both received 5 stars. Albeit at the budget to mid, they are supposed to be excellent. I find your tone a tad patronising. The speakers I mentioned are £700 so even I might be able to afford to shop at the place where you auditioned recently.

I made a complaint about Superfi and a rep called me back very quickly and apologised profusely. He had more knowledge but I do feel that they cater for a section of the market and certainly use blinkers when advising.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]oh yes![/quote]

I'm black and white - Grrrr - One nil down.
emotion-1.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
looks more likely that the arsenal and liverpool will contest the premiership this year,graham sorry about your team but big sam never did it for me,anyway on to superfi.paid a visit there yesterday as my sister is in the market for new speakers,well i must have had the same salesman as gerradsasnails,as all he would recommend was kef.i will not go on about our conversation but to say he was patronising towards my sister was beyond belief.i feel a letter to their head office coming on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts