Suggest to me some active speakers please.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi good peoples. A hypothetical request at the moment. I'm curious about actives, such as the avi's and dynaudio, but I'm not just using a computer as source. I would want inputs for a cd player, and a way of connecting my tablet via Bluetooth. Also wouldn't mind an input for my FM tuner,but this isn't so essential. I could attach Bluetooth through my Bluetooth receiver which would connect to analogue inputs, and then I'd guess I'd need to connect cd player optically, but I fear I'd be losing the superior quality from my dual DACs onboard my cd player.

Could anybody please suggest to me some active speakers within a budget of £1500. I like a decent amount of bass, so the avi dm5's as an example wouldn't suffice.

Thanks very much.

Rog.

If davedotco is reading, he usually gives good advice on these. I think Adam are worth a look. Their A7x is about a grand a pair and with the balance you could get one of those new Yamaha preamp thingies - newly launched. The wxc-50 it is snappily named.

I don't think you'll find many/any with lots of inputs, and if they did, it would be an unholy mess of wires behind!

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
The Xeo 2 does bluetooth out of the box, plus you can use them with the hub for your other inputs, or connect directly via optical or RCA.

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
If you mean active as in a box speaker with integrated amps and active crossover, then you have quite a few choices. You'll probably get most bang for the bucks in the pro/studio market though. JBL 305 and 308 both provide almost extreme amounts of value for the money. One step up sound-wise, I would have a look at the deservedly well-known Adams. Personally, however, I'm partial to "Eve", a German company that was founded who previously worked with Adam. I think their monitors are among the best I've heard. SC205, and SC208, both sounded absolutely superb when I auditioned them.

I still think AVI DM10 sounds the best of the small active box speakers I've heard though.

But if you mean active as in "speaker with active crossover", and could be open to assembling the speaker yourself, I would definitely have a look at the Linkwitz LX mini, or the LX 521 if you have the space (but few people do). They sound better than everything else I've heard... And I've heard quite a lot.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Bearing in mind the requirement for a decent amount of bass and the £1500 budget.

Google "Altec Barcelona"

You'll find some nice links to some photos, the audio heritage website and a youtube video in someone's store-room.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
It won't come in under your budget, but won't be horrendously above it... Dynaudio Xeo 4 plus the Dynaudio Connect should satisfy most of your requirements.

The Connect does BlueTooth apt-x, has an analogue line in, plus 3 digital inputs (Co-Ax, Optical & USB)

For more bass, consider the Xeo 6 floorstander, although that will be a lot more expensive than the stated budget.

z

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
If davedotco is reading, he usually gives good advice on these. I think Adam are worth a look. Their A7x is about a grand a pair and with the balance you could get one of those new Yamaha preamp thingies - newly launched. The wxc-50 it is snappily named.

I don't think you'll find many/any with lots of inputs, and if they did, it would be an unholy mess of wires behind!

As far as I can tell the Yamaha pre is about the best deal and has the best connectivity.

Connectivity and looks are probably the biggest issues with actives.

I'll add my vote for the A7X.

While im also a Genelec fan, the smaller ones falling within your budget probably don't go deep enough. Their bass is good, but I have to qualify it by saying "for their size".

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
oivavoi10 said:
On tip, though: If I were you I would skip the bluetooth and the radio, and go straight to streaming. Get a google chromecast dongle, and stream radio and music directly from your smartphone. Better sound quality than bluetooth, and much more flexible.

I think it's better in general to stick with dongles, etc. for streaming. Technology changes quickly and new things come out all the time, better to just need a new dongle or whatever than have it built into the speakers.

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, didn't see that £1500 was your budgetary limit. And since you'd like quite a bit of bass... If I were you I would definitely take a look at EVE SC208, well within your budget (that's the price for one, so you need two). They sound wonderful IMO, and they don't sound lean like some studio monitors can do. Plus, they have eq settings, and you can choose to boost or reduce the bass and/or the treble, which can come in quite handy.

They only have one analog input, though. That's easily remedied: Add this google chromecast dongle, and stream radio and music directly from your smartphone. Better sound quality than bluetooth, and much more flexible. I personally think that the sonos system works even smoother than the chromecast. A sonos connect, however, will set you back much more than the chromecast. I think you'd be very happy with a pair of EVE SC208, a simple RCA switcher, a chromecast and your CD player.

That said, if you feel slightly adventorous, take a look at the lx mini. This may sound hyperbolic, but I'm almost willing to bet that there doesn't exist any other small-ish speaker in the price range that is even close to competing with it. It's that good. But you need to assemble it yourself. Can be ordered as a package from here. That will set you back quite some more though, since you need to add amplifiers and a minidsp box as well. The eve pair is within your budget, and doesn't require any tweaking etc. on your part.

These were just my 5 cents... obviously there are other solutions as well. Best of luck!

(ps: going active is definitely the most rational choice... much better value for your money than mixing passive components)

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Craig M. said:
oivavoi10 said:
On tip, though: If I were you I would skip the bluetooth and the radio, and go straight to streaming. Get a google chromecast dongle, and stream radio and music directly from your smartphone. Better sound quality than bluetooth, and much more flexible.

I think it's better in general to stick with dongles, etc. for streaming. Technology changes quickly and new things come out all the time, better to just need a new dongle or whatever than have it built into the speakers.

Agreed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In general, there are 3 types of active speaker at this level, firstly there is the simple hi-fi type, single input, minimal facilities, this minimallist approach is very rare, I am struggling to find any examples beyond the AVI DM5.

Secondly you have the active hi-fi models with extras, from a simple choice of input selection to full wireless capability, still relatively rare but look to Dali (Kubik), Dynaudio, AVI, Quad and others.

Thirdly, and far more common, are the studio monitor types, rarely do they have input switching but they may have useful features such as eq and limiters. They are also pretty industrial style wise, you are unlikely to get nice wood finishes or grills but the pricing is usually very attractive.

Connectivity and usability has always been the issue with most actives, but the new style of streamer pre-amps, Yamaha, Cambridge etc make this a little easier. If you can handle the looks, a good pair of active monitors in the 'up to £1k class' plus the WXC50 would seem the obvious choice. The WXC50 has just about enough connectivity but with so much built in, that may be sufficient.

The Adam A7x is the obvious choice but there are plenty of other options, browse some of the options at online pro dealers such as Studiospares or Thomann. Remember, these are still speakers and some will suit more than others, so you will need to listen.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
In general, there are 3 types of active speaker at this level, firstly there is the simple hi-fi type, single input, minimal facilities, this minimallist approach is very rare, I am struggling to find any examples beyond the AVI DM5.

Secondly you have the active hi-fi models with extras, from a simple choice of input selection to full wireless capability, still relatively rare but look to Dali (Kubik), Dynaudio, AVI, Quad and others.

Thirdly, and far more common, are the studio monitor types, rarely do they have input switching but they may have useful features such as eq and limiters. They are also pretty industrial style wise, you are unlikely to get nice wood finishes or grills but the pricing is usually very attractive.

Connectivity and usability has always been the issue with most actives, but the new style of streamer pre-amps, Yamaha, Cambridge etc make this a little easier. If you can handle the looks, a good pair of active monitors in the 'up to £1k class' plus the WXC50 would seem the obvious choice. The WXC50 has just about enough connectivity but with so much built in, that may be sufficient.

The Adam A7x is the obvious choice but there are plenty of other options, browse some of the options at online pro dealers such as Studiospares or Thomann. Remember, these are still speakers and some will suit more than others, so you will need to listen.
May I also suggest Digital Village.(DV247). They got the widest range of pro studio monitor speakers in the uk.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
is now readily available on active speakers, I can't see the point of traditional, or should I say 'legacy' active speakers.

Having just moved and re-installed my system, next time round I'm going Dynaudio or Devialet. The lack of wiring is stunning compared to the rat's nest I was fighting with yesterday.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
avole said:
is now readily available on active speakers, I can't see the point of traditional, or should I say 'legacy' active speakers.

Having just moved and re-installed my system, next time round I'm going Dynaudio or Devialet. The lack of wiring is stunning compared to the rat's nest I was fighting with yesterday.

Yes, but you are putting a radio receiver and transmitter in to the heart of your hifi.

Even Devialet recommend that wifi is turned off when not using it so as to not effect the SQ of the device. Ergo when you are using it and it is switched on it may introduce some interference in to the chain.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:

But way out of budget except for the cheapest Dynaudio XEOs.

I like the small Focus XD, but it is over £4k. I think products like the Yamaha WXC50 could be a game changer for pro type actives, 1 mains and 1 signal cable is not excessive and multiroom is effective and wireless. Given Yamaha's capability, I can see a decent wireless 'main' speaker on the horizon.

Given what is built in to the WXC50, many users will not need anything else, I have the much cheaper, less flexible Raumfeld Connect with a pair of Adam actives and it is very simple to set up and use.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
techboy said:
Why not go for AVI DM 10?

Or even AVI DM 5 with a subwoofer?

Of course Bluetooth and/or Airplay are easy to connect to the ADMs but take up one of only three inputs, so very tight in that respect. If the op can rationalise his input requirements to suit, they would clearly be a very sensible option.

The op also says that he likes plenty of bass, though whether that is bass extension or bass punch is not clear. If it is the former then DM5s plus a sub would work well, if the latter, probably not.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
AVI DM5's?

You may not have heard of them but apparently their specified performance is amazing...

Somebody on here mentioned them once. Or twice.

im not sure they have. Even dm5 threads fixate on dm10 :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
make a recommendation re; actives, Techboy already has (he can take the flack) ;-) I'm sure there are plenty of superb options as Davedotco has pointed out.

I will though confirm that the Yamaha WXC50 is superb, for my needs anyway. Sound quality through my DM10's is superb, I'm using it as preamp. Lots of EQ options if required. For certain genres I engage the Auto setting, if adds a sense of depth and warmth where the speakers may sound a little harsh or overly bright (true to the source material).

And speaking of the unspeakable speakers there's no lack of bass with these. I'm experimenting with a sub I previously had and in my room it adds little.

An added plus is that although my Synology Nas isn't supposed to be able to handle DSD, DSF and DFF files, fed to the Yamaha it processes them perfectly.

I think it's a real bargin if you're not going the Chromecast route... worthy of future consideration anyway...

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
avole said:

I like the small Focus XD, but it is over £4k. I think products like the Yamaha WXC50 could be a game changer for pro type actives, 1 mains and 1 signal cable is not excessive and multiroom is effective and wireless. Given Yamaha's capability, I can see a decent wireless 'main' speaker on the horizon.

Given what is built in to the WXC50, many users will not need anything else, I have the much cheaper, less flexible Raumfeld Connect with a pair of Adam actives and it is very simple to set up and use.
Not really - only the floorstander would be out of range, the other two are easily there. If you go for the Xeo 4, they tend to include the hub for nothing now, so they are really good deals.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:
avole said:

Not really - only the floorstander would be out of range, the other two are easily there. If you go for the Xeo 4, they tend to include the hub for nothing now, so they are really good deals.

Really, links would be good...*good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts