Sudden Urge for floorstanders !!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After being into 5.1/7.1 surround sound for the past 15 years, I suddenly have an urge to strip my system back to basics.

I have what I consider a reasonable system, but it's not getting the use it used to when I had a projector, I tend to spend as much time playing music via AirPlay to the AVR as I do actually watching films, we watch a lot of standard TV but less and less "movie nights" and gaming tends to be kinect stuff for the kids.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting a set of KEF Q500 (anything bigger would not get past the wife) and bi-wiring from my SC-LX73, which I would keep to switch through sources as I only have 1 HDMI buried in the wall.

If I missed the 5.1 (I'm keeping the sub anyway) I could always add 2 x KEF T305's for rears and a 200c/600c or 305c back in a later date, Any thoughts / Comments.

scene

As you've already got MA kit, why not replace your front pair with RX6s (or RS6s to save some cash)? You could also keep your 5.1 system from the start, and have superb two-channel stereo when you wanted.

I have a mixed MA system and think I get the best of both worlds...

A

Anonymous

Hi Scene, yeh I did think about this option 1st, but the trade off (with the other half) for allowing the 2 floor standers would be to get the KEF T series at the rear of the room, the room sort of opens up at that point to the stairs, and the Aesthetics of these speakers would really suit if I added something back in a later date.

Which sort of lead me down the Q series route, as they would match better sonically with the T's, this added to the fact that they are a bargain at the moment with 20% Off making them £560 and I listened to them a while back and thought they sounded great for their size.

A

Anonymous

BTW I had some RX1s prior to the Apex with the RXC and these where Vito-ed in no time at all, they where gloss White and the term Lego blocks was used very often lol.

One of the other reasons I thought about the Q series, was I could consider the T301c for aesthetic reasons, not best bet tonally I know.

A

Anonymous

Your not going to believe this but I used to have some Polk audio Lci60 x 4 for rear surrounds in the ceiling, when I first moved in about 7 years ago, but even with back boxes and insulation the leakage into the 2 bedrooms above, especially with having an open staircase too, was far too excessive, it wakes the kids up.

A

Anonymous

Great advice BB, but it has been niggling me for a while, at the moment I'm watching everything in Stereo to see if I can live with it, I try this until Friday now as I'll be too busy in the day to get to my dealer.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Mark,
Can you not live with the Apex in stereo using the sub?Try crossing them over at 100hz let the sub do all below and hook up an Amtimode to eq the sub,works a treat in my room like this.I only ask as you have a very good set up there and if you go down the stereo route will your Pioneer satisfy you in the long term for stereo only?
Will you gain much with the Kef's?Try the Apex on their stands.Have a tinker with the above settings.Get a second sub!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The 'T' series will work fine with the Q500's........

I opted for the 3005SE eggs with mine, purely because I wanted to angle the rears down slightly to the listening area, and with the 'T' series they 'sit' flat to the wall, assuming you are wallmounting them......

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
The 'T' series will work fine with the Q500's........ I opted for the 3005SE eggs with mine, purely because I wanted to angle the rears down slightly to the listening area, and with the 'T' series they 'sit' flat to the wall, assuming you are wallmounting them......

+1 for T series and Q500s

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your inputs guys, I'm currently doing a mixture of your advice. I'm running the Apex in stereo mode (cross over already at 100Hz) and seeing if I can live with this.

My dealer has an SC-LX73, in a demo room of a similar size, so I will go next week and have a listen to it with some Q500's and T series as rears and see what I think.

A

Anonymous

ric71 said:
Mark, If your near Barnet nrth London your welcome to have a listen with an Arcam powering the Apex.

Ric, that's a great offer, thanks but I live in Manchester and rarely travel down to London unless it's with work, I may have a listen to this combo at a dealers just for the fun of it though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts