Subwoofer for music. Which cables to use?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I will buy the Dynaudio Sub 250 which I will connect to the pre out of my Cambridge 740A. This will give the sub a full frequency signal as opposed to the LFE signal. My question is therefore:

Since I will be needing a stereo cable should I buy a dedicated subwoofer cable x 2, or could I just as well use a good quality stereo signal cable like the one I use to connect my CD and AMP with? I would think the stereo signal cable due to the full frequency signal, but is that correct?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i recently bought the merlin chopin mk III cable to go with my sub - they sell in a number of different lengths or will make you a specific length if you call them - very impressed with the quality of the cable - looks far better constructed than the chord chamelons i own and is quite heavy for a cable

A

Anonymous

For subs the leads can be quite long, due to trying to place the unit in either the most convenient or sonically ideal place. For long runs I am a bit paranoid about noise in the cable, especially for the RCA type connections. I don't think it would be a major issue, but would suggest finding a cable with high coverage copper braid shield, may be with foil as well. This should lower the chance of background noise.

I am only offering an opinion because I might have to make my sub cable, if I can not buy what I am after. This is because I have become entangled in the world of equalisation devices, and now have unorthodox connections on my kit. For your case a thick copper braid shielded cable should be cool.

Good luck. After rearing your children, you will spend the rest of your time playing with the controls on your sub. BTW I looked at the manual for your, and you have some flexibility on when the sub kicks in and out, which I thought was quite cool. My one only allows me to adjust when it finishes and not when it starts.

philb42

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I have today received a stereo pair of cables and have just been using them to connect my Epos M-sub to the pre-outs of my Audiolab 8000S. The cables work perfectly and perform very well. They are extremely well made and excellent value for money. I would suggest you check out www.chunkycables.co.uk. They are all made by a guy called Alex. I ordered from him Tuesday evening, he emailed to say he would make and despatch Wednesday, and they arrived Thursday morning. Before ordering from him we exchanged a couple of emails about the dedicated sub idea, and he reassured me his cables would be fine.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I bought this since it's designed to run at longer lengths.

Some might say I'm naive, but I'm happy
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts