subwoofer and floorstanders integration

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello to anyone who finds my first post...

Having moved on from my Kef "Eggs" to floorstanders , I seem to find it harder to discover perfect integration of my subwoofer... Although not high end my system components are of decent quality and should be well matched, however i find myself not completely satisfied... I fear my room acoustics are coming into play more now (exposed flint and brick walls,vaulted ceilings and wood floors) and without any auto setup or sub eq I'm struggling a little...

I keep contemplating a processor or receiver with these abilities but am not sure if I will really benefit... any advice would be appreciated but i'm considering

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Clinton :)

You have a decent processor and power amp there, so even though you may benefit from some room EQ, you'd have to spend a fair amount to get it over what you already have. Even though you have an awkward room, it shouldn't be too hard with a bit of experimentation to get more out of your speakers.

How is your system set up at the moment? Which speakers are set to large and small? Do you have a single croosover point or can you vary them for each individual speaker?

The most efficient place for a sub is in the corner - place it in the strongest corner (solid walls, preferably outside walls) and play some strong bass through it. Move it out bit by bit until it stops booming, or reduces it significantly. If you're still running into problems with it, you could look at adding a sub EQ device like an Antimode.

Again, the same with the main speakers really. Play some music you're familiar with, and keep moving them against or away from the walls (away if you're having bass problems), and experiment with toeing them in to get the best imaging for 2 channel stereo.

Because you have no room EQ, try and get the front 3 speakers eactly the same distance from you - do this with a piece of string and get someone to hold it in the listening position. Then run it all the way to the centre speaker - that's the distance the front left and right could do with being away from you. Rear speakers are different, they'll be closer, but try and get each of those the same distance from you.

If you really can't get anything decent out of your system, the Onkyo 5508 processor would be the one to go for as it seems to have the most advanced room EQ at the moment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clinton and welcome.

Without hearing your system, and seeing where it's situated, all I can do is throw out some ideas.

Consider getting an Auralex Gramma to isolate sub from wooden floor. I even have Argos granite chopping under that - works great.

If possible try different positions for sub ie nearer walls/corners give more bass; away from walls and near soft furnishngs less.

Decor of the room - heavy curtains/rugs/(tapestries!?) all help to tighten bass up.

Others will probably be along to give further advice.

TRENDING THREADS